Does not recognise HDD-Caddy 500gb WD HDD(dvd-rom replaced)

Options
shadow_unal
shadow_unal Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I was using it with no problem at my old laptop. I want to replace dvd-rom with hdd-caddy included WD 500GB hdd but can't see in bios or driver management.
I already tested in 2 laptops toshiba and HP . HDD and caddy was fine . But ACER made me freak ..

Can you help please ?
My computer ACER / Aspire 5 / A517-51G-564N

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I also have a notebook with a caddy in place of the dvd! Actually Acer bios does not recognize the caddy! However it should work normally! Make sure your hd is being identified in the device manager here:

If you have maybe you have to convert ohd to mbr, if windows is in legacy mode, or to gpt, if windows is in uefi mode!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • shadow_unal

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    thanks for reply. I checked again and no, i can not see it. Also at disk management not recognised. Also at bios it's already enabled other sata 1 and sat 2 but nothing changed when installed hdd. my system uefi and primary disk gpt.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Some notebook models do not detect the caddy adapter, but you can try this:
    a) Disable the fast start up in power options:

b) Then turn off the notebook completely and press the battery reset button for five seconds. Leave the notebook off for five minutes and make sure the notebook detects the hd in the device manager:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    thanks for reply. i've just read that way.i'll try immediately and tell you if ok.
  • shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    Some notebook models do not detect the caddy adapter, but you can try this:
    a) Disable the fast start up in power options:

b) Then turn off the notebook completely and press the battery reset button for five seconds. Leave the notebook off for five minutes and make sure the notebook detects the hd in the device manager:

nothing changed :(
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the bios on your notebook have this function?

If so, then this may be the problem! But I do not recommend that you change to ahci as it will break the array and windows will crash!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    There is a possibility that your model does not recognize the caddy! Is your hd converted to gpt to work in uefi mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• shadow_unal

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    There is a possibility that your model does not recognize the caddy! Is your hd converted to gpt to work in uefi mode?
    i though that before, already installed latest bios 1.20.thanks for reply. i converted the hdd to GPT from MBR. Still same.
    any more idea?
  • shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    Does the bios on your notebook have this function?

If so, then this may be the problem! But I do not recommend that you change to ahci as it will break the array and windows will crash!
    i tried that before.when i changed it windows did not started.then changed like it was.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is your notebook in ahci or rst with optane mode on bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Eu dei uma olhada no meu caddie e há uma chave que você pode colocar à direita e à esquerda:

O meu estava no meio! A imagem é ruim, mas há uma chave seletora ao lado da porta SATA! Verifique se isso ajuda!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    Is your notebook in ahci or rst with optane mode on bios?
    in AHCI mode. In rst doesn't start windows.
    ok i will try that key on caddy. i will try with reseting battery then. thanks
  • shadow_unal

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    Options
    i tried everything, negative.
    i called acer tech support and told me this a517-51g does not support hdd-caddy . shocked. my 3 years old laptop and other 5 old laptop works just fine but this unbelievable. my first and last acer experience will be.. !
    imagine that, i used 4 different laptops and first time needed to help and found you and writing here. this laptop is just useless.SHAME ON YOU ACER.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Have you tried removing the primary hd and leaving only hd with caddy connected? I'll tell you what I did in mine! I disconnected the main hd and only left the hd on the caddy connected! The bios did not recognize it! But hd was recognized in the installation of windows 10! Make a boot drive with windows 10 and see if the installation recognizes this hd in caddy!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    Have you tried removing the primary hd and leaving only hd with caddy connected? I'll tell you what I did in mine! I disconnected the main hd and only left the hd on the caddy connected! The bios did not recognize it! But hd was recognized in the installation of windows 10! Make a boot drive with windows 10 and see if the installation recognizes this hd in caddy!

thanks a lot for reply. but i don't think that will work after tech told me no support for 2nd hdd. i've decided to sell this useless acer laptop after a few days.thanks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I do not consider the a517-51 model a useless notebook! There are other ways to connect a notebook hd! For example, a usb case:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    I do not consider the a517-51 model a useless notebook! There are other ways to connect a notebook hd! For example, a usb case:

thanks for reply. i have this. but i do not want to use it every time.
  • shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    i tried everything, negative.
    i called acer tech support and told me this a517-51g does not support hdd-caddy . shocked. my 3 years old laptop and other 5 old laptop works just fine but this unbelievable. my first and last acer experience will be.. !
    imagine that, i used 4 different laptops and first time needed to help and found you and writing here. this laptop is just useless.SHAME ON YOU ACER.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you checked that the hd connected to the caddy is detected in the windows device manager? As I previously told you, the bios of some models, although they did not identify the hd in the caddy, does not mean that windows will not recognize it!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• shadow_unal

Tinkerer

Options
    Anyone has same problem ? New Bios update came out. does it fix that problem ?