Acer one 10 s1003 4gb Ram windows 64bit?

rubsiu
rubsiu Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
this beautiful machines comes with a 32bit windows, which limits its usable memory to 2.9GB despite of the 4GB onboard.
searched around the forum it seems there are only theoretical answers like "there will be no benefit" or "you won't find the 64bit driver"

but has there anyone already tried to install a 64bit windows on it ?
are you successful or do you encounter any problem?

i see tons of other tablets using the same ATOM x5 Z8350 is running on 64 bit windows, like lenovo miix 310, asus transformer T103, Teclast Tbook 10S etc..... all of them are with the same spec as acer one 10 but all of them are running on 64 bit...... making our beloved acer one 10 inferior to them.... what a shame....

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    The consensus so far has been that they haven't been able to find all the drivers for 64bit, but that might not be a limiting factor for you if the missing drivers are for devices you don't use. I'd first take a list of the devices in Device Manager and look for drivers, especially chipset drivers from Intel. If you find 64bit versions of the chipset drivers and the WiFi/Bluetooth drivers then it's be worth an attempt to install the 64bit version. You may have to buy an OS license, since I don't believe the 32bit key will work for the 64bit install. Backup everything so a restore is possible and give it a try! And be sure to let us know how it turns out. People who have the 4GB version of the tablet should see a performance increase just due to being able to access the whole memory space.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rubsiu

Tinkerer

ok i tried yesterday, the first problem i encountered is it won't boot from usb at the keyboard dock, do i need to use a micro USB stick to boot ?
  • billsey
    Likely it's got secure boot enabled, which doesn't allow booting from an image that isn't the stock one. To boot from another image there's a process you go through that involves disabling secure boot then adding the 64bit UEFI file to the list of allowed images then re-enabling secure boot (IIRC). I know there were lots of people who had issues when they configured to boot from Linux or Android and decided to go back to Windows, so do some Googling first.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rubsiu

Tinkerer

hi billsey thanks for your reply , i did have google quite a lot about windows , UEFI, 32bit to 64 bit etc
    here is the bios setting and error message for your reference

• rubsiu

Tinkerer

ok i have just tested, actually booting using the keyboard dock usb port works with a 32bit windows usb stick, so that's not the keyboard dock's problem.

but it just give the above blue message if i use a 64bit windows installation usb stick....

any ideas guys? i've read about something like changing EFI from 32 to 64bit but it seems like that's only for experts, not average users
  • billsey
    Yep, you are going to have to become one of those experts now. :) In order for the USB device to be recognized as bootable, so it shows in the boot menu, you have to tell UEFI that the 64bit boot image is allowed. That's actually one of the easier task to make a 32->64 migration on this tablet. Once you have your BIOS set to allow both image types then you boot to the 64bit install, wipe the drive and install the 64bit Windows. Then you search for and install each missing 64bit driver and finally reinstall any apps you need. I should mention you want to make sure you have the 64bit wireless drivers handy before you start the install, in case Microsoft doesn't have them included. You want your wireless working before you start searching for the rest of the drivers...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    billsey said: Likely it's got secure boot enabled, which doesn't allow booting from an image that isn't the stock one. To boot from another image there's a process you go through that involves disabling secure boot then adding the 64bit UEFI file to the list of allowed images then re-enabling secure boot (IIRC). I know there were lots of people who had issues when they configured to boot from Linux or Android and decided to go back to Windows, so do some Googling first.
    Hello @billsey! Do you have any idea how to disable secureboot on this tablet? There is no option to create a password on the set supervisor password to disable secure boot on this tablet! Although the uefi mode is designed to support the x64 system, it seems to me that uefi has been changed to support the x86 system on tablets! Maybe that's why there is no option to disable secureboot? Sorry for my English and hope you have understood my question!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    I haven't had a chance to work with an S1003 myself, so can't look into the BIOS or UEFI settings. If the option isn't available in the BIOS settings screen it's often available in the UEFI instead. Do the recovery reboot from Windows and select edit UEFI from there.
  • rubsiu

Tinkerer

ok after about 1 weeks of research and trial, i am unable to find any practical way to do it.
    just one question, is it possible to clone the whole harddrive of another X64 computer to the tablet, so it overwrite all the patitions including EFI to turn it into 64bit EFI ?
  • I think only an erecovery media can help you: https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    No, it's not just the 64bit UEFI on the hard drive. The BIOS itself, which loads the HD UEFI, has restrictions as to which images are allowed. If the BIOS supports it you can add the 64bit UEFI image to what's allowed, but you can't just boot without that step.
  • umbnich
    umbnich Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi to all.
    Someone find the solution? I want to install a x64 win on the Acer One 10 S1003 notebook but not sure of the process.