Adding SSD & Migrating OS on Nitro 5

Chumlee3
Chumlee3 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I've an Acer Nitro 5 and the it came with a 256 gig SSD and its almost full. Don't know why they come with such a small SSD outside of keeping cost down. Planning on adding 1 tb ssd but was wondering if I can migrate OS as well and how to go about it. Thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• what is the exact model of your notebook? if you are going to buy a 1tb ssd, you can use the migrate feature of the mini tool partition! However the nitro 5 models only have a m2 2280 entry and you may need to clone before to a hd and only then clone to the new ssd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Chumlee3
    what is the exact model of your notebook? if you are going to buy a 1tb ssd, you can use the migrate feature of the mini tool partition! However the nitro 5 models only have a m2 2280 entry and you may need to clone before to a hd and only then clone to the new ssd!
    Its a AN15-51 series. Will I have to clone the hd to external drive and restore to new SSD? And if so, will Windows 10 built in system image tool work? Thanks for your help.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Did your notebook come with a 2.5 "ssd or a ssd m2 2280 installed? Can you tell if it came with a ssd installed here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Chumlee3
    Answer ✓
    There is no drive installed in this location. This compartment is empty.
  • Then it will be necessary to clone the ssd to an external hd! You can use macrium reflect!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Chumlee3 ,
    Do you have a SATA cable in the HDD bay? If you have, attach a HDD, then download and install MiniTool partition wizard free, use migrate feature to transfer current M.2 SSD contents to HDD, then remove the current M.2 SSD and install new M.2 SSD which has to be a recommended size of 512GB, you could try 1TB drive at your own risk, it may or may not work. Then boot with HDD and run Minitool partition wizard, use Migrate feature to transfer the contents of HDD to your new M.2 SSD.
    So the sequence is like this: current M.2 SSD-> HDD-> new M.2 SSD
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html
  • Chumlee3
    Thank you for the information. I've used Macrium Reflect before and there is a SATA cable in HDD so it appears I've got a couple of options.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    @Chumlee3Good thing it solved your problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer