Dual boot (Windows 10 + Linux) - Nitro AN515-51

Sammael
Sammael Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello!
I have a Nitro AN515-51 for a month.
I'm trying to install a linux distro on my machine for dual boot, without success...
With Ubuntu 18.04, I can't ever install the OS. On first screen, the installer freezes.
With Elementary OS and Ubuntu 16.04, I can install. But I can't get thro the login screen. I can move the mouse, but the system doesn't recognize the clicks or what I'm typping on keyboard.
If I enter in recovery mode, I can use Elementary or Ubuntu 16.04 without problems. I followed this walkthough https://askubuntu.com/questions/1039895/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-nitro-5 and updated the Nvidia GPU drivers, but when I restart in "normal" mode, still freezes on login screen.

So, Acer machines can't run Linux? Or there's any way to make this work?

Thanks for the help. Here's the config:
Processor I7-7700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI (and Intel HD Graphcics 63)

Answers

• Dieeeuu
    Dieeeuu Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same issue, I'm trying for a long and nothing happen, only frezze the screen
  • WawanH
    WawanH Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same issue, I'm trying for a long and nothing happen, only frezze the screen but i can show on display secure boot (error ) ride group ? do you know that?
  • SalarX
    SalarX Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    The issue is related to Nvidia Drivers. When booting the installer of latest Ubuntu or Elementary OS (I've tested 18.10 and Elementary Juno), in grub menu, edit the entry by pressing 'e' and add 'nomodeset' after quiet splash. The installer should boot. After the installation is complete and you boot Ubuntu or Elementary OS, you should atleast be able to reach login screen. Make sure you're connected to internet. Here press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2) to open TTY. Enter your username and password in terminal. Now execute: sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall 

You should be able to now boot normally.

Press like if it solves your problem.
    If you feel I've helped you, give a Yes to Did this answer the question? 
    If you like my posts or comments, give a Like.
    My laptop is Acer Nitro 5 Spin (NP515-51). 
    I'm from India with love for technology, so message me if you want to discuss or ask a question  :3
  • SalarX
    SalarX Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Also if you want to have zero issues when using Linux, I suggest Manjaro. It's Arch based and might take sometime getting used to it, but it runs out of the box. All you need to do is turn off Secure Boot.
    If you feel I've helped you, give a Yes to Did this answer the question? 
    If you like my posts or comments, give a Like.
    My laptop is Acer Nitro 5 Spin (NP515-51). 
    I'm from India with love for technology, so message me if you want to discuss or ask a question  :3
  • Mohammedsuhail102
    Mohammedsuhail102 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I am using mx linux it works fine but same issue with other linux.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning  Mohammedsuhail102 !

To keep the forum organized and your question to have greater visibility, please avoid posting on topics already solved, opened by other users or inactive.
    Always open a new post, just as it was guided by the moderators.
    Put an @ in front of my name that I guide you there for any questions.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!