Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 not recognized Predator Helios 500 (PH517-61-R0GX)

Options
chaoticbob
chaoticbob Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

Just got the Predator Helios 500 (PH517-61-R0GX mode) and I'm trying to install a Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 driver for additional space but the laptop is not detecting the drive. I've tried 3 different different Samsung 970 PRO NVMes. Two 1TB and one 512GB. Neither are being detected by BIOS or Windows. 

I flashed the bios from 1.05 to 1.06 and still nothing. 

Tried loading defaults for BIOS and also nothing.

Was wondering if I'm missing something like a setting?

Thanks

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Could you please tell us the setup in your laptop, do you have the OS installed in a SATA M.2 ssd or in a HDD? which method you are trying to transfer the OS on to this 970 Pro drive?
  • ATR42
    ATR42 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Im having the same problem. I stuck in a Samsung 850 EVO m.2 SataIII drive into the slot two in the Helios 500 (PH517-51-72NU). I can see the drive in the BIOS but nothing in windows. Even using disk utility couldnt see it. I booted UEFI from USB in an attempt to reinstall windows, and the windows installer did not see it either.

My gut is telling me this has something to do with into RST in BIOS raid set up... I think i need to switch it to AHCI in bios and start from scratch but im not sure im on the right path as doing so didnt help windows find the drive from the windows set up usb.

Helios 500 . PH517-51-72NU . i7 8750H . GTX1070 . Evo 970 nvme

• ATR42
    Options
    Cant edit my post but the stock SSD is in "slot 2", and i inserted the additional SSD into Slot 1, i dont think that has anything to do with it, but i just wanted to correct the above post.

• ATR42
    Options

• ATR42
    Options
    Progress... Ok i think i might have overdone this and created a lot of extra work for myself.... Skip the above posted link....

Here is what you should try first, put your new drive into Slot 2 (the location of the stock drive). Then stick the stock drive into the other slot. Now I see both drives appear.

I wiped out all format partitions with the windows UEFI tool and re-installed windows, i dont think i needed to do that...

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Just some heads up for those why only have one m.2 slot/one 2.5 sata slot and want to upgrade the m.2 ssd (which has the OS) the easiest way is to get a startech m.2 to sm.2/ 2.5 adapter (i got a dual it supports 2xm.2 in raid and it's not a waste of money in fact a very usefull adapter to have at hand) stick the recipient m.2 in the adapter and clone it from the old m.2 using easeus partition master (i used my sata dock to clone it didn't even removed the 1tb hdd from the laptop but for those without a dock remove the hdd and replace with the m.2 adapter) then just remove the old m.2 and replace for the new one this was the way i did it and worked straight away :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ATR42
    Options
    in short all i did was install the new M.2 into the location of the existing stock SSD and swap the stock one into the open location.
    ---I think anything below this line is optional---
    I then switched the bios to AHCI (not sure if this effects performance, I found mixed discussions and benchmarks online)
    I then booted off UEFI USB, formatted all drives the windows tool displayed
    Reinstalled windows
    Had to load network drivers from USB to get it online, and the rest was a breeze

I didnt benchmark the machine prior to fresh reformat, but its running great. Acer didnt have too much bloatware on this thing to begin with, but it is a bit cleaner now. The SSD acer included did not get stellar reviews, so its nice to have two M.2 sticks in there, one being a good one, and the slow HDD as well.

• Hydrolutra
    Hydrolutra Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had a similar issue. I have a Helios 500. I bought a Samsung 970 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. It didn't show up in windows.  I checked the bios and it showed up there. SSD was set to RST premium with intel optane support. I was afraid to change this after some things I read so I contacted Acer support. They sent me to a website that said to try the diskmgmt.msc utility. The drive showed up there. I created a new volume and assigned a drive letter to it, boom, it showed up in file explorer. I used Samsung's migration software to clone my C: drive to it, then swapped slots with the Samsung and the stock card. Wiped the stock card, Now I'm booting from the Samsung drive. It's crazy fast. For those that are interested, here's the speed tests of the installed drives.

Stock Toshiba MQ04ABF100 1 TB hard drive  Sequential Read: 144, Write: 135, Random Read: 244, Write: 732
    Stock SK Hynix SSD HFS256GD9MNE-620      
    Sequential Read: 3,134, Write: 914, Random Read: 84,960, Write: 73,730
    Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB   SSD                   Sequential Read: 3,502, Write: 1,544, Random Read: 88,867, Write: 78,125
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    For those that are interested, here's the speed tests of the installed drives.

Stock Toshiba MQ04ABF100 1 TB hard drive  Sequential Read: 144, Write: 135, Random Read: 244, Write: 732
    Stock SK Hynix SSD HFS256GD9MNE-620       Sequential Read: 3,134, Write: 914, Random Read: 84,960, Write: 73,730
    Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB   SSD                   Sequential Read: 3,502, Write: 1,544, Random Read: 88,867, Write: 78,125

Impressive scores! That 5400 rpm HDD tho.... 🤨
    - Hotel Hero
  • chaoticbob
    chaoticbob Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    So I'm still having problems with this. I moved the the stock m.2 to the first slot and put in a new m.2 on the second slot. Now the machine sees the new m.2 but not the stock one. It looks like slot 1 may just be busted or there's something up with the bios. I fiddled with the settings and found nothing that worked.
  • mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I had a similar issue. I have a Helios 500. I bought a Samsung 970 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. It didn't show up in windows.  I checked the bios and it showed up there. SSD was set to RST premium with intel optane support. I was afraid to change this after some things I read so I contacted Acer support. They sent me to a website that said to try the diskmgmt.msc utility. The drive showed up there. I created a new volume and assigned a drive letter to it, boom, it showed up in file explorer. I used Samsung's migration software to clone my C: drive to it, then swapped slots with the Samsung and the stock card. Wiped the stock card, Now I'm booting from the Samsung drive. It's crazy fast. For those that are interested, here's the speed tests of the installed drives.

Stock SK Hynix SSD HFS256GD9MNE-620       Sequential Read: 3,134, Write: 914, Random Read: 84,960, Write: 73,730
    Hi just got the helios 500 with i7 but with 128 GB Sata SSD, will be getting 970 EVO 500GB and switching it up, did you notice any performance drops after cloning ? I was thinking of doing a clean WIN install but cloning sounds much easier and less time consuming. 

BTW can someone confirm that both Helios 500 m.2 slots supports Nvme SSD?
  • Red-Sand
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mankvl said:

Stock SK Hynix SSD HFS256GD9MNE-620       Sequential Read: 3,134, Write: 914, Random Read: 84,960, Write: .73,730
    Hi just got the helios 500 with i7 but with 128 GB Sata SSD, will be getting 970 EVO 500GB and switching it up, did you notice any performance drops after cloning ? I was thinking of doing a clean WIN install but cloning sounds much easier and less time consuming. 

BTW can someone confirm that both Helios 500 m.2 slots supports Nvme SSD?

This is actually an internal discussion between ACEs right now because my model isn't recognizing my SATA III M.2 SSD and only recognizes my NVME drives but the spec/service guide states both SATA & NVME...not just NVME
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Ok so I swapped my NVME to the other slot and it still reads as PCIE x4 NVME.

And now I can use the SATA M.2 where the other slot didn't recognize it.

So both slots are NVME PCIE x4 and (for me anyway) one of the slots doesn't recognize SATA M.2 but that can be fixed by swapping OS slot location(s).
    - Hotel Hero
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    So I'm still having problems with this. I moved the the stock m.2 to the first slot and put in a new m.2 on the second slot. Now the machine sees the new m.2 but not the stock one. It looks like slot 1 may just be busted or there's something up with the bios. I fiddled with the settings and found nothing that worked.
    Have you already converted ssd to gpt? Maybe it is not being seen by windows explorer because in uefi mode, hd or ssd should be in gpt format! To convert to gpt, simply open the command prompt as administrator and type diskpart, disk list, sel disk x, clean (delete all), convert gpt!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ATR42
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    Ok so I swapped my NVME to the other slot and it still reads as PCIE x4 NVME.

And now I can use the SATA M.2 where the other slot didn't recognize it.

So both slots are NVME PCIE x4 and (for me anyway) one of the slots doesn't recognize SATA M.2 but that can be fixed by swapping OS slot location(s).
    and you've switched to AHCI?

• MRunar
    MRunar Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    i have the amd setup, and experiencing the same problem .. my OS is on the orig. nvme in slot 0, slot 1 not recognizing the samsung evo 970 500 GB. bios not tell me anyting. no info on drives at all .. disapointing bios
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @MRunar What is the exact model of notebook? Example g9-792
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MRunar
    MRunar Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @MRunar What is the exact model of notebook? Example g9-792

PH517-61

• ATR42
    Options
    I have the same one, and the same 970 evo installed (1tb though). I know i sound like a broken record but you have to have AHCI turned on in bios and the Intel Optain off. Physical Slot 2 (stamped on the SSD shield) is NVMe and the other slot is sata, make sure its in the right slot. im sure you've done this stuff but i just want to make sure it wasnt overlooked accidentally.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @MRunar Your model has two m2 2280! However I believe that only one of these input support NVME ssd:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer