Dual Windows 10 Setup in Acer Nitro AN515

khuranan744
khuranan744 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I have recently installed an SSD on the M.2 slot of my laptop. It came with a Mechanical 1Tb HDD. 
First, I installed the M.2 SSD on the motherboard and installed Windows 10 on it. A new clean setup. At this point of time my HDD was not connected.
Next, I connected the HDD. When I booted it, Windows didn't give me any option to choose the windows, rather booted from the SSD. I was able to see my HDD and all of its contents. 
When I rebooted the windows, the Windows from HDD booted (old pre-installed version). 
Now, I went into the "Recovery" option-->Advanced Startup-->(and some more steps i don't remember)-->UEFI Settings. 
There in the Boot tab of the BIOS I could see the sequence of Boot, wherein i set the SSD on 1st place and HDD on 2nd. Still, the Windows would boot from HDD. 
I checked the MSCONFIG and I couldn't see the other version of Windows on the SSD. 
Can someone please guide how can I have both the Old HDD version and a New Fresh SSD version of Windows 10 n my laptop?

Regards

P.S. I know many of you would be like "Why does he want to keep the old version", its just like in case of any issues. No particular reason as such.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    It is possible that windows hdd has not assigned a letter in ssd! Are ssd's partitions shown on "my computer"?
    If they are not shown, go to cortana and type partition! Then click the letterless drive and add a letter like this:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • After you have done this, check in msconfig if both hd's are identified!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • khuranan744
    Hi egydiocoelho

In the BIOS, I can see two entries in the Boot tab. Both have Windows Boot Manager followed by the Drive description.
    In My Computer, the drive has been lettered "F:" and inside you can see the program files and everything else. Attached below is a snap.

In Disc Management, you can see that the SSD has been allocated the letter "F:"

Am unable to understand what I did wrong. And to add to that am also worried what would happen if I re-install Windows on the SSD.

Regards
  • khuranan744
    I would also like to add, the first that I booted with both the HDD and the SSD, when the Windows booted from the SSD, in Disk Management the 222.98 GB partition on the SSD has Boot, Page File....and all written in brackets instead of Primary Partition.

Regards
  • Make sure ssd and hd are in gpt format like this:

It is not necessary to put the clean command, because it will erase everything! See only if the asterisk is present in ssd and hd!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Hi @khuranan744 ,
    I can not see the OS installed in your SSD, did you manage to boot from SSD alone(without the HDD)?

• Yes @brummyfan2! In the first post he informs that when installing windows 10 in ssd, he had disconnected the hdd! When he connected the hdd, the operating system was initialized by ssd, but upon reboot, the notebook recognized only the hdd operating system!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brummyfan2
    Yes @brummyfan2! In the first post he informs that when installing windows 10 in ssd, he had disconnected the hdd! When he connected the hdd, the operating system was initialized by ssd, but upon reboot, the notebook recognized only the hdd operating system!
    I couldn't see the OS partition in SSD from the Disk management.

• It is true! It really does not show up!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• I recommend that it start windows 10 through ssd, with the hd disconnected to see if the boot partition of windows 10 in ssd has been corrupted or not!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• khuranan744
    Hi,
    So I ran the Disk Part in power shell. Seems both the drives are active and have an asterisk under the GPT column as show below

Also, I made a similar query in Microsoft Support, a moderator there said that because the Volume Licence was one, hence its not booting from SSD. Which actually doesn't make any sense. Since it did boot twice from it. Once with HDD removed and one with HDD installed.

And egydiocoelho, am very much worried right now. I have been thinking of removing my HDD and booting, but what of it boots and then am whats happening with my SSD, happens with my HDD. It just I don't want to lose the Windows setup in my HDD.

Hi brummyfan2, the first two boots when the Windows booted from the SSD, the SSD partition was what had Boot, Page File and all the other stuff written over it. But now that its booting in the HDD copy of Windows it shows the HDD Partition as such.

Regards

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    What the colleague @brummyfan2 meant, is that the boot partition of windows 10 in ssd was not found, see:

I would try to reinstall windows 10 in ssd, with hd connected!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brummyfan2
    @khuranan744
    I also don't think you can run same OS from separate drives in a laptop, either a clean install or you can transfer the original OS to the SSD. 
  • khuranan744
    @khuranan744
    I also don't think you can run same OS from separate drives in a laptop, either a clean install or you can transfer the original OS to the SSD. 
    Hi, 
    What would you prefer, a clean install or transfer the Factory Installed OS?
    If it's the latter one, please guide how can I transfer the OS. Also, when I transfer the OS, will it require me to reinstall programs such as Chrome, Firefox Itunes, and so on?

Regards
  • khuranan744
    What the colleague @brummyfan2 meant, is that the boot partition of windows 10 in ssd was not found, see:

I would try to reinstall windows 10 in ssd, with hd connected!
    Hi @egydiocoelho  and @br@brummyfan2,
    If I reinstall Windows 10 64 Pro instead of Windows 10 64 Home version, will I be able to have both copies of Windows 10 functional on the Machine?

Regards

P.S. Windows 10 x64 Home edition is the one installed on HDD that am using right now.
  • It's more complicated for you to make a clone of a larger hd (1tb), for a smaller ssd (256gb) than the reverse! But it is possible! Use the program Macrium Reflect!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• khuranan744
    It's more complicated for you to make a clone of a larger hd (1tb), for a smaller ssd (256gb) than the reverse! But it is possible! Use the program Macrium Reflect!
    The C drive in which the OS is installed is 240GB, and the space in SSD is 222GB. But what would you prefer, a fresh installation or moving the OS?

Regards
  • I would choose to do a new installation! But do this with hd connected and be careful not to delete the HD partitions! However I would like to know the real reason to leave two operating systems the same in different hd's? Why not just leave the operating system installed in ssd and leave the hd just as backup? It seems that if you shrink the c: partition to 222gb, which is the same size as ssd, there will be no problems when trying to clone! In this case I would choose to make a clone!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• khuranan744
    I would choose to do a new installation! But do this with hd connected and be careful not to delete the HD partitions! However I would like to know the real reason to leave two operating systems the same in different hd's? Why not just leave the operating system installed in ssd and leave the hd just as backup? It seems that if you shrink the c: partition to 222gb, which is the same size as ssd, there will be no problems when trying to clone! In this case I would choose to make a clone!
    Well, the main reason why I want to keep have two Windows setup is because someone from Acer told me that "If i formatted my HDD, i might lose my warranty". Which is kind of a very ridiculous reason. But what can I do. I still have like 2 years of warranty on my device. And won't like to lose it!
    Thats it. Also if I have two copies of OS, I could actually experiment a bit on the Newer installation on the SSD.

Regards
  • So in this case, I would save the personal files that are in ssd and pass the hd! Then I would do a clean command for ssd to be deleted and would already convert to gpt like this:

Then I will create a flash drive with windows 10 and install the operating system with hd connected!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer