Computer doing... Really weird things? Please help

Options
EgoLobster
EgoLobster Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi all,
I've owned an Acer Nitro 5 for roughly 3 months now, and I absolutely adore my computer. I had no issues whatsoever, and I was content playing Warframe with my older brother and logging in to check my Flight Rising account during the day, and leaving my computer in Sleep Mode at night. I rarely shut my computer off simply because it takes a long time to boot.
So, last night, I was talking to a friend on discord, and they sent me an image that I wanted to save. When I went to save the image, suddenly, the computer froze up, and a new window popped up that just read 'microsoft windows' at the top. This had never happened before, and it freaked me out. A few minutes later, I suddenly regained control of my laptop, and was able to save the image. Now though, when I went to save the image, instead of in the usual ariel font asking me what I wanted to name the photo, the default save name just read 'unknown' in times new roman. I wrote 'what' (because I was lazy and couldn't think of a name), and the usual box with the yellow caution sign popped up, which usually warns me about not being able to save in specific areas - but this time, there wasn't any text on it. I don't remember what I clicked to save it, but I clicked something and the box disappeared, allowing me to save. I have screenshots of this on my personal computer, but I can't access it right now. I'm on my school laptop. Now, here's where things got interesting.

The rest of the night, Chrome would hardly load, frequently bug out, and become unresponsive. I used the Windows Troubleshooter to figure out what was going on, and it told me that Chrome was incompatible.
I asked my Dad what he thought of it, since he knows a lot about computers, and he told me it very well may be a virus. I have Avast and Malwarebytes on my computer, and I had intended to install Kaspersky at some point, so I figured now was a good time. So, I opened Edge (which.. For some reason worked fine) and installed Kaspersky.
Attempting to launch it was pointless - it wouldn't launch at all, even using administrator commands. I could open everything else, except any of the installation packages for my antiviruses. Nothing would launch except Edge, Steam, Avast, Malwarebytes, and Windows MTR. I did a full virus scan with Avast, a full scan with Malwarebytes, and a full scan with Windows MTR. None of them uncovered anything. After that, Chrome ran just fine. No issues at all, except occasionally freezing for a mere moment, then going back to normal.
I can tell you the only thing I was on that night had been Flight Rising, which recently has had issues with phishing dropbox ads, and while I usually turn my adblocker off to help support the devs, since none of the ads are really... up-in-your-face kinda ads that cover the screen. Avast continually alerted me to these dropbox phishes, noting that it was ending connection with the phishes. I turned my adblocker back on, and told some of my moderator friends about the issue.
Note that I have the free versions of Avast and Malwarebytes, so they might not have scanned everything.
Anyways, I got off for the night, and headed to bed. I intended to wake up and play a game that was a bit of a nostalgia trip for me the next morning - Zork. I was pretty excited because i had just remembered that game's existence, and I woke up early with the intents to play it.
Remembering last night's issues, I cautiously lifted the lid of my computer. It booted just fine out of sleep mode, my screensaver of my favorite Fire Emblem characters welcoming me back. I entered my pin, and the computer, instead of taking me to my desktop, restarted. Acer installed a system update, and I swear to god, I could hear the fans in the next room while I was grabbing breakfast.
Anyways, I came back, waited for the update to finish, and my computer booted as-normal. Steam booted up with it's updates, everything in place and working fine. However, when I went to open Chrome, the page immediately became unresponsive before it even finished loading. Just white. So, I closed down Chrome, and opened task manager.
When you press ctrl+alt+delete and it takes 5 seconds for the page to boot up with security options, you know you're in trouble.
Anyways, I opened Task Manager, and not even that would load, becoming immediately unresponsive. Funny enough, Steam was fine and running as good as ever.
Directly after the Task Manager became unresponsive, the screen faded to black, as though in sleep mode. It did not power off, and nothing was visible on the screen. After waiting a minute, I powered off my computer and turned it back on again.
It booted fine - but this time, my usual screensaver of Fire Emblem wasn't there. You know how when you're entering your password, if you don't have a backdrop for that set, it shows you random places from around the world? It went back to doing that. Anyways, this time, I made sure to be really cautious, and not launch anything. Steam booted automatically, doing it's updates - and I made sure to move my mouse around without clicking on anything to prevent my computer from sleeping. Which is weird, because it's on High Performance. This never happens.
Oh, right, and my computer was on the charger this entire time. This isn't a battery issue from what I can tell.
My computer blacked out around a full minute quicker this time, and I immediately powered it off without waiting to see if it would come back on.
I have not turned it on since. I'm using a school-issued HP to write this and put this up, but I have really important files on my Acer right now, and I need to get this fixed. I need to be able to access my files to at least back them up onto a flashdrive.
Can someone please help me? I'm not exactly a tech-wizard, but I know enough about computers to know something is seriously wrong. I'd prefer to find a way to fix this without cost - I'm 14, money isn't exactly something I have right now, and my parents won't pay to fix my laptop. My old one (I had it for roughly 5 years, it was defective and had a bad motherboard) pretty much committed suicide and my parents agreed to buy me a new one, seeing as my old one was legitimately unusable. If money is needed to fix it though, or if the best solution is to send it into Acer and have them fix it, I can work for money. I'm applying for a retail job, so I should be alright.

Sorry this is a long post, I really didn't want to miss any details if it means better helping me get my computer back to normal. Is this a virus, or is my computer just acting up? What should I do?

If you have any questions I can try to the best of my ability to answer them. Again, I don't know much about the internal hardware of my computer, but I'm willing to unscrew it take a peek if needed.
I've solved all sorts of issues with my old computer - one time, I really don't know how this happened, but a ton of ants made a colony inside my old laptop (the one that was defective) and I still managed to fix that and get them out of my computer. This is... Weird, though.
My friends are tech support for other computer companies, and they've literally seen a computer grow moss inside of it, but they have no clue what's going on with mine.

Help?

If you do know anything or had a similar problem that was fixed, PLEASE let me know. Thank you so, so much.

Best Answer

• MaxGamer
    MaxGamer Member Posts: 110 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @EgoLobster

I don't know whether this is the thing or not, but your Acer Nitro 5 may be infected with a virus which is spread through Discord.

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-discord-virus.html

Can you confirm that all the issues which you are facing started when you downloaded the image file from discord?

And also, tell me your full model name.

Don't forget to accept my answer if I was able to help you out!
    Just a tech enthusiast who tries to help other people : )

Acer Nitro AN515-52-593F ||Intel Core i5-8300H upto 4.00 GHz/GTX1050/8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM/1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD+16B Intel Optane Memory||

Acer Support: https://support.acer.com/

Answers

• EgoLobster
    Options
    ?? any help whatsoever? I don't mean to be rude but I need to get on my computer for commissions n whatnot and I haven't touched it since this morning.
    Beggars can't be choosers, but I'm seriously desperate right now.
  • MaxGamer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @EgoLobster

I don't know whether this is the thing or not, but your Acer Nitro 5 may be infected with a virus which is spread through Discord.

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-discord-virus.html

Can you confirm that all the issues which you are facing started when you downloaded the image file from discord?

And also, tell me your full model name.

Acer Nitro AN515-52-593F ||Intel Core i5-8300H upto 4.00 GHz/GTX1050/8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM/1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD+16B Intel Optane Memory||

• EgoLobster
    Options
    @MaxGamer Thank you, I did have all of those issues, but I talked to an Acer agent who told me that the likelihood of me having a virus was low since I had run 3-4 different malware searches, and after resetting my internal battery and repairing the disk drive I'm not having any issues (: I've since purchased full Kaspersky protection. I was unaware of this Discord virus, thank you for notifying me. However, I had been talking to a friend who merely sent me a comic they drew. I found it funny and when I went to download it the issues started to happen. I'm not in any really big servers or anything. I've got my friends on there, and a few Flight Rising servers that are all <50 people. All of them are extremely carefully moderated and few people are allowed in unless we know who they are and trust them enough. In fact, you can't even get in these discord servers without asking a moderator for the code, which is not publicly distributed. Plus, most of them are just for Subspecies or screaming in frustration at the in-game lottery (;
    It's still possible though and I'll run Malwarebytes and Kaspersky tonight. Thank you. I don't have access to my personal PC right now, so I'll have to tell you the full model name when I get back (:
    sorry for the late reply ^^;
  • MaxGamer
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @EgoLobster
    That's great that you were able to solve your issues. Yeah I know that there can be tons of reasons, discord virus being one of them because it all started when you download that file! Also using a full copy (not trial) of a reputed antivirus is recommended. :)

And no need for the model number since you have solved your issues.