acer sw5-171-325n, updated to windows 10, will not process windows updates

frank_m
frank_m Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
acer sw5-171-325n, updated to windows 10, will not process windows updates. maybe problem with partitioning?

Answers

• thamahes2018
    thamahes2018 Member Posts: 174 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi frank_m
    I really appreciate if you are getting any error message while updating windows based on that we can provide you with trouble shoot steps.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    >>>maybe problem with partitioning?>>>

Likely no. More likely updates are not yet fully compatible with your hardware. Consider yourself lucky. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• frank_m
    frank_m Member Posts: 2 New User
    Finally getting back to this issue because other issues forcing me back to get this fixed. Thank you to every one who responded. Jack, sorry to be harsh, but your answer is totally off the wall. This is a Windows issue and if hardware compatibility was a problem, it should have been resolved a long time ago. The problem stated was complete, various windows updates error codes were returned. Research indicated the partitioning settings may have set too small and various programs abused that space, and therefore the updates can not be processed. I was hoping for a procedure to resolve this issue.
  • JackE
    What were the error codes? If you don't have enough space on the main system drive C : to handle the temporary files needed for the updates to complete the install, then used a 16GB NTFS-formatted SD card. Windows will use this space for the temporary files.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yes, please give us more info s to what your configuration is, especially partition size and free space.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Onticom
    Onticom Member Posts: 24 Networker
    I don't have an answer for you but I have what sounds like a similar (if not the same) problem.

I found this:-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb4093119-fail-to-install/d5cf6cc0-e1fe-4d32-8ca0-236081b511e5

That confirmed to me that my version of Windows 10 was no longer supported and this was why the updates weren't working.

So essentially Microsoft is saying their update system isn't working because you need to run an update.

:/ 

...Anyway, that thread suggests to download and run this:-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When I ran this on my Switch 10 (SW5-014) and it told me there wasn't enough space on machine to allow the update.

...And that's as far as I've got so far.

• JackE
    As mentioned earlier, insert a 16GB NTFS formatted SD card  the update uses for storing temporary files needed to complete the update.  However, if you have the smaller 32GB emmc storage chip, you're probably going to have to remove/copy personal files and personally-installed programs from the emmc drive to make room for the newer Win10 version is of course fatter than the obsolete Win10 version. Such is the new and unimproved Microsoft Windows life cycle policies. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Onticom
    Onticom Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Hi @JackE - thanks for the post.

I've started my own thread, because I didn't want to hijack this one, but I don't think this is going to help me - I've got nothing of my own on the Switch - just Microsoft bloat - a WinSxS folder that's 6.6GB, a SoftwareDistribution folder that's 5.2GB etc etc.

I'm at my wit's end really - such a miserable device! (Stupidly I bought a Switch 11 too, which bricked itself!) So I'm another "Never Buy Acer" ex-customer!