Laptop sometimes turns off on battery power

EddieSi
EddieSi Member Posts: 36 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
not sure why but sometimes my acer Helios g3-571 turns off when not plugged in...
but then after it turns off a couple times it will be fine to use. I don’t understand what’s going on and I have the most recent windows updates. I can provide more details if needed

Best Answer

• EddieSi
    Answer ✓
    I've been able to use it without the charger plugged in for a couple times after I posted this and luckily it hasn't turned off. Not sure why it did that but I am hoping it doesn't do it again. I know when I first got the laptop one of the issues was the windows build was causing this issue but I've since gotten the required updates and hadn't had an issue until I posted this. anyways I'll try to monitor exactly what I did in case this happens again.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Have you tried the battery reset? if not, give it a try, switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains, follow the instructions in  the video, leave the laptop to rest for a while before starting again. Have you done any upgrades and removed the back cover?
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • EddieSi
    Hi,
    Have you tried the battery reset? if not, give it a try, switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains, follow the instructions in  the video, leave the laptop to rest for a while before starting again. Have you done any upgrades and removed the back cover?
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
    No I haven't tried the battery reset but I can go ahead and do that now.
    and the only upgrade I did was add an extra hard drive.
  • EddieSi
    Answer ✓
    I've been able to use it without the charger plugged in for a couple times after I posted this and luckily it hasn't turned off. Not sure why it did that but I am hoping it doesn't do it again. I know when I first got the laptop one of the issues was the windows build was causing this issue but I've since gotten the required updates and hadn't had an issue until I posted this. anyways I'll try to monitor exactly what I did in case this happens again.
  • EddieSi
    Started doing it again today. all I did was unplug it and take it to my kitchen and instantly turned off. I turned it back on...got to the predator logo and turned off. wouldn't boot up after that. had to get charger and booted up just fine and that's how I'm using it now. wtf is going on? I have my battery settings to optimize for battery life and I can't even get a minute off the charger? even at 98% battery?
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    It could be a problem with a micro switch which cuts off power from battery when the back cover is removed, this has been discussed in this thread, please read it on the page 3 about the switch, it may or may not help but I suspect that the problem relates to the switch.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/464023/acer-aspire-e15-keeps-randomly-shutting-down-even-when-i-have-a-full-battery-charge/p3
  • EddieSi
    Hi,
    It could be a problem with a micro switch which cuts off power from battery when the back cover is removed, this has been discussed in this thread, please read it on the page 3 about the switch, it may or may not help but I suspect that the problem relates to the switch.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/464023/acer-aspire-e15-keeps-randomly-shutting-down-even-when-i-have-a-full-battery-charge/p3
    uhh seriously a battery reset switch would cause this? 
    i'll go ahead and take a look now but that seems so wack as I only removed the back cover once to upgrade hard drive...
    Had I never removed it I would never have had this issue?

either way I made a case with acer already just in case. and funny as it might be while I was doing the case I was on battery power and boom it shuts down again so I had to restart all over again lol
  • EddieSi
    I was reading through the posts and the user Jack recommends not to open it and instead just file a case with Acer (which I already have). Should I just leave it alone? I'm still under warranty since I got this laptop 3/18
  • brummyfan2
    edited October 2018
    EddieSi said:
    I was reading through the posts and the user Jack recommends not to open it and instead just file a case with Acer (which I already have). Should I just leave it alone? I'm still under warranty since I got this laptop 3/18
    Hi,
    Yes, you could send it for a service and Acer will fix it under warranty, it's not a battery reset switch, it's like an isolator, when the RAM door is opened it disconnects the battery in your model.