Acer Nitro VN7-592G-747C - RAM slots, upgrading

Options
Dundy
Dundy Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I am considering adding extra RAM into my VN7-592G-747C which currently has 16 GBs. I have a few questions regarding this:

1.  As per the Acer sites, it should have a total of 2 RAM slots:

https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2015/4876/VN7-592G/NX.G6JEM.038.html

However, Task Manager of Windows  (under Perfomance / Memory) shows "Slots used: 2 of 4" . This seems incorrect, wouldn't assume that a notebook has 4 RAM slots or the Acer specs to be incorrect.  Could someone please confirm which one is correct?

2. If there are 2 slots, is there a way I can tell if the 16 GB is 1 piece of 16 GB RAM or 2 pieces of 8 GBs - without dismantling the notebook that is. Thought the Task Manager would do the trick but doesn't seem to be showing the correct info.

3. What RAM type should I be looking for when purchasing?

4. Lastly, as I understand the RAM is beneath the motherboard of my notebook, which requires careful disconnection of 3 cables connected to the motherboard and then I would need to remove the motherboard. Last time I opened up I could figure out how to unplug 2 of the 3 cables but I could not figure out how to 'unlock' the one highlighted in red in the photo below. Could someone please help explain what is the safe way of disconnecting it? Of course, I would never want to just pull it out:

Thank you very much!

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    1. You have two slots, the task manager reads Double Data Ram(DDR) as 4 slots.
    2.Install CPU-z free program, check the slots in SPD tab, mainly slot1 &3.
    3.DDR4 2133MHz modules, you can also check the speed of modules currently installed in CPU-z and get modules with same speed.
    4. Just push the white tabs towards the back of the laptop( towards the screen) gently without too much force( watch the attached video).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EvUWlwwpaE

• Dundy
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you very much for your details reply, @brummyfan2 !

I have downloaded CPU-Z and this is what I see:

Not sure why I see 3 different speeds highlighted in yellow for the 4 columns... which one is the speed of the module I should be getting?

It looks like I have  2 x 8 GB modules. I believe best would be to replace these with new 2 x 16 GBs, correct?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't know the reason for showing different frequency, yes, you can upgrade with 2x16GB identical modules.
  • Dundy
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't know the reason for showing different frequency, yes, you can upgrade with 2x16GB identical modules.
    Thank you.

Anyone else knows where there are 3 different frequencies listed for 2 RAM modules - see screenshot 2 posts above?
  • blackhat-
    blackhat- Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Just ran across this thread... JEDEC standards are shown in this table explaining which frequencies are supported in dependency to clock speeds and voltages.