Do I need a BIOS update?

AndrewFalcon
AndrewFalcon Member Posts: 10 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I asked this quesiton before but my questions was not answered completely.  My original question was as follows:

I brought my computer in for computer repair after I cloned my 250 GB SSD (SATA) which is in the computer so that the 500GB EVO 970 NVMe SSD contains all the system information that the SSD that is in the computer has.  The computer technician informed me that the computer is not able to see the EVO 970 NVMe because the BIOS needs to be updated.  My Bios is version V1.12.  Do I simply click download at the following link?  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6397?b=1&pn=NX.G7WAA.003.  I am hearing that if this is not done correctly your computer can be damaged so please provide me with a response that will work if my option is not correct.

I am assuming that I would need to download BIOS Version:  V1.14 at the above site address and the computer would be able to see the 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD.  Currently I do not have the option of changing from SATA which is indicated in the BIOS, as there is no other option to be selected other that SATA.  I was told by Acer support that the computer will take NVMe but I get the message that there is no "bootable disk found".  I get this message even after plugging in a bootable disk into a USB port and changing the setting in the BIOS to put the bootable USB at the top of the list of bootable devices.  Please let me know if I simply download V1.14 at the above site to resolve this issue and start using the EVO 970 NVMe solid state drive.

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,282 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    So in this case, the correct one would be to use hwinfo to make sure the model supports nvme:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• First make sure ssd nvme is being identified in the bios info section and hit a photo! Your ssd 970 evo is a gen3x4 and your computer supports gen3x2! However, the chipset that supports gen3x2 will probably support gen3x4, but this ssd will run at half the speed!
    It is important to check in the information and boot section of bios if it is being identified in bios! I'd like to see some pictures of these sections!
    I do not recommend that you update the bios for now, because your notebook could turn into a brick!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AndrewFalcon
    Hello,
    Thank you for looking into this again.  I have attached a few pictures of the BIOS.  I hope you can make them out.   Please see attached.
  • I've seen your photos and he's just identifying a ssd m2 2280 sata 3 from adata! Your notebook is compatible with ssd nvme gen3x2! However when connecting a ssd gen3x4 (970 evo), it must be identified but it will work with half the bandwidth! However I have doubts if it supports a ssd above 256gb!
    I would like you to see this forum:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/497793/ssd-slot-for-r5-571tg

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AndrewFalcon
    Hello,
    I tried to plug in a 256 gb NVMe ssd and the 500 gb NVMe ssd and the same thing happens.  It tells me that there is no bootable disk and windows won't load.  I plugged in a bootable usb stick and it still does not work.  I tried to look for posted comments but everything I tried does not work.

I think acer needs to create a BIOS file for this laptop that will allow an NVMe SSD to be installed.  It fits nicely in the M.2 SATA SSD slot but thats as far as the positive points go about upgrading this laptop to an NVMe SSD.  Do you think something like that is likely?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,431 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    I tried to plug in a 256 gb NVMe ssd and the 500 gb NVMe ssd and the same thing happens.  It tells me that there is no bootable disk and windows won't load.  I plugged in a bootable usb stick and it still does not work.  I tried to look for posted comments but everything I tried does not work.

I think acer needs to create a BIOS file for this laptop that will allow an NVMe SSD to be installed.  It fits nicely in the M.2 SATA SSD slot but thats as far as the positive points go about upgrading this laptop to an NVMe SSD.  Do you think something like that is likely?
    Hi,
    I am afraid,you can only use a SATA SSD in this model and not a NVMe SSD, updating BIOS will not enable the usage of NVMe SSD.
  • Dear @ brummyfan2, thanks for replying on topic! However I would like to know why in the service guide shows that this template is compatible with nvme gen3x2? What I consider is that maybe this model does not support the gen3x4 (970 evo) model! But does not this model also support a gen3x2? Look:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,431 Trailblazer
    Dear @ brummyfan2, thanks for replying on topic! However I would like to know why in the service guide shows that this template is compatible with nvme gen3x2? What I consider is that maybe this model does not support the gen3x4 (970 evo) model! But does not this model also support a gen3x2? Look:

Hi @e@egydiocoelho
    Yes, it could be a misprint as normally Gen3x2 is mentioned for PCIe/NVMe but I couldn't find anything to assure that this model supports a NVMe drive.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,282 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    So in this case, the correct one would be to use hwinfo to make sure the model supports nvme:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AndrewFalcon
    Thank you egydiocoelho for trying.  I am glad that I checked with this site first before going any further, as the last thing I need right now is a brick for a computer
  • You're Welcome my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer