How to boot from a cloned ssd Installled into the acer nitro5 spin

dragon199
dragon199 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
So i purchased a variant of the acer nitro 5 spin without the ssd , which was very slow so i purchased a samsung evo 970 nvme ssd to make it the system partition.
Now i installed the ssd and it shows in windows fine but i cannot clone my C: as the samsung migrant software can't detect it , neither can the samsung magician .
So i used Macarium reflect which said the HDD sector is 512 bytes while the SSD is 4096 so it cant clone the drive onto the ssd.
Finally i used a software called casper to CLone the drive but even though the drive is cloned it doesn't show in boot manager.

So how can i see my ssd in boot manager or boot from this cloned ssd 
i tried disabling the old hard disk but it shows no bootable drive .........

Answers

• Is bios configured in uefi mode (should ssd be converted to gpt) or legacy (should ssd be converted to mbr)? Is your ssd smaller than hd?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dragon199
    Is bios configured in uefi mode (should ssd be converted to gpt) or legacy (should ssd be converted to mbr)? Is your ssd smaller than hd?

thank you for replying , bios is Uefi or as it states Efi
    yes my ssd is 250gb hdd is 1tb though it has only 100 gb of used data 
  • Making a hd clone that has a storage space larger than a ssd is more complicated! Maybe it works if you lower the partition of hd that has windows 10 to the same size of storage that contains ssd! See if the minitool partition helps!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dragon199
    Making a hd clone that has a storage space larger than a ssd is more complicated! Maybe it works if you lower the partition of hd that has windows 10 to the same size of storage that contains ssd! See if the minitool partition helps!
    actually it does not matter as i have the clone made by casper but the ssd is not even shown in boot menu 
    also the only problem with size is the sector size as all new ssd have 4096 sector size.
    plz tell me about what is gpt you spoke off
    How can i do that
  • Is your hd detected in the information section on bios? If yes, you can convert ssd to gpt with these commands:

In format fs=fat32 quick, place format fs=ntfs quick!
    However you will lose everything!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dragon199
    Is your hd detected in the information section on bios? If yes, you can convert ssd to gpt with these commands:

Is your hd detected in the information section on bios? If yes, you can convert ssd to gpt with these commands:

It does list my disk 
    but when i type convert gpt it says my disk is not mbr formatted as such it needs an mbr formatted disk
  • dragon199

It does list my disk 
    but when i type convert gpt it says my disk is not mbr formatted as such it needs an mbr formatted disk
  • The commands are these: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x (x is the ssd number), clean, convert gpt, create partition partition primary, format fs = ntfs quick, assign!
    Can you hit a photo of the error?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dragon199
    edit : ok i did it , it is converted to gpt .
    Now what can i do ?
  • dragon199
    it shows in windows perfectly as before , but neither samsung magician , samsung migrate shows the ssd .
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Now you can try to clone! However, as I told you before, it is more complicated to clone from a hd with 1tb to a 256gb ssd! How many gb of space are occupied in HD? You can try shrinking the size of the partition on hd to 256gb and make sure the cloning is perfect! Have you tried installing windows with an iso from microsoft?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dragon199
    Now you can try to clone! However, as I told you before, it is more complicated to clone from a hd with 1tb to a 256gb ssd! How many gb of space are occupied in HD? You can try shrinking the size of the partition on hd to 256gb and make sure the cloning is perfect! Have you tried installing windows with an iso from microsoft?
    it has about 140 gb occupied , i actually don't want to reinstall windows .The main problem is that samsung's own softaware fail to detect the drive while everything else does ......... also even after cloning the drive from casper i had no option to boot from ssd in bios or boot manager.
  • I was researching and it looks like there is a problem with samsung software, see: https://www.intel.com.br/content/www/br/pt/search.html?toplevelcategory=none&query=kabylake&keyword=was+researching+and+it+looks+like+there+is+a+problem+with+samsung+software,+see:
    Is there a solution for this that would change from raid to ahci! But to do this you would have to enable safe mode and when restarting, select ahci mode: https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/
    To do this, you do not have to go to the command prompt and enter the code! Just come here and enable safe mode, pressing windows+r and typing msconfig:

Then restart the computer and press f2 to enter the bios and change the option raid or rst with optane to ahci:
    However I recommend that you do not do this!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dragon199
    i saw that but the system is already in ahci mode . As stated on samsung manager as such it detects all other drives except the nvme drive or the evo 970 , also the bios has a very limited set of options , its an insyde bios . Also i have already installed the driver .
  • So since you have switched to ahci mode, you may need to uninstall the migrant and magician programs! Also uninstall and delete the nvme driver in the manager and restart:

Then install the nvme driver first and then the migrant and magician programs and see if they are identified in the program!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer