Helios 500 PH517-51: removing pre-installed applications

Sgherblezio
Sgherblezio Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Greetings fellow owners,
Has anyone removed any of the following pre-installed applications? Did you incur in any issues afterwards, or it's a safe operation to do?
  • Acer Collection (of which I have two, for some reason)
  • Acer Configuration Manager
  • Acer Jumpstart
  • Acer Product Registration
  • Acer UEIP Framework
  • Care Center
  • Shop Ebates (which keeps coming back...)
Thank you all

Answers

• mibperko
    mibperko Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited October 2018
    Clean install is available, because most of drivers are supported by windows update.

I preformed clean install with newly downloaded Windows 10.
    Also deleted all existing partition on setup. Remember to have network drivers for wifi somewhere on usb stick, because after reinstall, driver was not recognized.
    After that install other drivers and software from Acer support page if needed. At least Predator Sense.

Windows were activated when connected to network, performance was the same as before reinstall.

Reminder: Official Windows 10 comes with their bloatware (games like candy crush ...). If not wanted, allow them to be installed and then remove them, otherwise they will keep popping up in start menu.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I recommend going through each program and see if any of the features appeal to you.
    None of them are "critical" to run your system but they also have benefits.

Acer Care for example let's you create a Factory Recovery Pendrive that can revert to Acer's factory setup opposed to using a normal Windows 10 recovery drive which would lose all the custom drivers etc that come with our systems.

Overall I'd recommend keeping Acer Care Center and Acer Quick Access installed as they help more than hurt.

If you are a minimalist and like services running to be tidy you can click your start button then type "Task Scheduler" and hit enter.
    On the task schedule menu select "Task Schedule Library" on the top left then navigate down the list and find all the programs you do not wish to start at bootup (I would leave Nvidia tasks alone).
    From here you can disable auto start of Care Center/Quickaccess/PowerMenu/Software Updaters/UEIP Framework/ etc etc
    - Hotel Hero
  • PredatorHelios500
    PredatorHelios500 Member Posts: 74 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited October 2018
    I removed Acer Collection and Acer Jumpstart.

I removed Acer Collection almost right away. It was causing ads to pop up if memory serves.

I only recently removed Acer Jumpstart after it auto-installed icons on my desktop to encourage me to download a game. It took me a few minutes even to figure out what program was responsible for the icon. That's when I ended up learning about Jumpstart for the first time. Installing icons on the desktop (or anything) on the sly is a cardinal sin in my opinion and should literally count as criminal behavior in an ideal world. As far as I know the program did nothing for over a month prior to this. Acer has created a FANTASTIC laptop in the Helios 500 and it's a shame they would install any junky adware on it to mare their R&D department's efforts.

I would not recommend removing the Acer Care center. I find it useful and it may help you keep your machine up to date. I don't recall it actually recommending anything yet but maybe in the future. A BIOS update was recommend to me at some point but I don't remember what software gave me the alert; I don't think it was the Care Center but maybe.

I don't seem to have Acer Registration, Acer Configuration Manager, or Acer UEIP framework. I don't think I would have removed them.

I vaguely recall having Shop Ebates and deleted it right away. No regrats.

Cheers,
    H500 Owner

• SuperMario
    SuperMario Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

"Installing icons on the desktop (or anything) on the sly is a cardinal sin in my opinion and should literally count as criminal behavior in an ideal world." 

^ This guy gets it! :)

This discussion has been closed.