Aspire 5 - buzzing - noise - cpu/ram area

smnbuzz93
smnbuzz93 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Description:
There are two types of buzzing, both coming from the cpu / ram area
(near the letter Q of the keyboard).
To be more precise, I describe the two hums separately (buzzing A and buzzing B).

I state that:
The PC and the power supply have been kept as a relic and in the six months' time they did NOT suffer shock, vibrations, exposure to cold temperatures, infiltration of liquids, etc.
I've found the buzzers for about two months, I do not know if it's a factory defect, it's in fact that from March in a house near a river (I can try it) and I could hear the buzzes when I brought the pc in areas with more ordinary environmental noise levels (both normal homes in neighborhoods with car traffic and in the library / study areas).
Before "disturbing" with the email I had to make some backups because I was worried about a sudden technical problem and I also searched (official websites acer or not) to understand if it was something solvable, of little consequence, or such as to request information from technical assistance. In my possible I have also carried out many tests / checks which are reported in detail with the hope of "helping you" to make a picture of the situation.

Buzzing A:
It is well audible while sitting in front of the PC. I have also attached audio recordings to give an idea of ​​the extent of the phenomenon that resembles a "cicada" or "chirping" depending on the type of operation that is performed.
It manifests as "cicada" when you make a simple zoom in / out of a photo or scroll through multiple photos with the mouse wheel.
It manifests as "chirping" for example during the simple conversion of one or more photos from one file format to another (with any percentage of compression / quality).
These operations were performed with Nikon's original software (both view nx-i and capture nx-d). Initially I thought that the buzz A was caused only by these software but unfortunately it is not so. The chirping is audible in the initial phase of processing / conversion and then decreases in the final phase until it is confused with the fan at about medium speed and stopped.
I am very perplexed because a 13-year-old desktop computer was doing the same operation much more silently and above all with lesser processor utilization.
Precise that the buzzing A is much less audible almost impossible when the pc is powered only by the battery also changing the energy mode from the windows taskbar.

Buzzing B:
Increases the intensity in the startup phase of the PC, in idle, when the CPU is under load, when I make movements with touchpad and mouse (especially scroll wheel and click scroll) and in particular when there are videos playing or any animation on screen.
In short, it manifests itself with any software including windows at any frequency and percentage of use of the CPU. The buzz is constant unlike the buzz A and is similar to something that is "frying", is audible already at a distance of about 15-20 cm from the pc.
If I do not use a mouse and touchpad, the buzzing is still present, however, it is much less audible. I have also noticed that this buzz has a periodicity corresponding to the cpu usage graph in activity management and speed variation when changing the update rate of the CPU usage graph.
Noise decreases if the PC is powered only by battery.

* The buzz does not seem to come from the speakers and so far I have not perceived disturbances with different types of earphones and brand.

* Case instead of popping from the speakers is when I start a video without volume (volume of the video player activated but general volume of the realtek sound card turned off).

Between official and non-official forums and communities, some PC owners with similar or similar problems say that it is a quality defect of insulation of the windings / capacitors on the motherboard / gpu / cpu or even of current / voltage regulators, psu, of the GPU, etc.
Although I am passionate about computers, I do not have detailed technical knowledge about it, so I simply limit myself to reporting what I have read.
As mentioned at the beginning of the letter, I have also done many tests / checks and most of what I remember brings it here (not in chronological order) hoping to "help you" to make a picture of the situation:

- visual / auditory control of power supply and of the supplied cables
- PC / operating temperature control
- visual control of usb ports, jack, sd
- power supply connected to the mains without load (pc)
- power supply connected to the mains but with pc (off)
- test with different electrical sockets and in different buildings
- try with other mice
- reset mouse driver and touchpad
- control / reset of advanced energy management (advanced windows control panel)
- deactivation of audio outputs (no audible whistles with speakers / earphones / headphones)
- selective USB suspension control
- control in "device management"
- audio / video driver update *
- deactivation of the audio / video card *
- audio / video driver reset *
- battery charge / discharge check
- pc suspension
- hibernation pc
- control with "acer care center"
- deactivation / reactivation of the monitor
- monitor brightness
- on / off back-lighting keyboard
- USB 3.0 "acer quick access" charging function control
- hdmi control and driver
- bios acer updates
- formatting, reinstallation, updates (windows)

* (intel) e (nvidia)
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also attached image files (screenshots) of my pc and a video of a user who has the same buzzing B.

I am obviously very worried because i need the laptop to study engineering, manage photos / video memories of all the family, maybe even to work in the future.

ps: i bought the notebook 6 months from a famous physical store.

pps: attached video has recorded by other person with different pc (it's just someone who has similar buzzing like me, the microphone in the video makes the buzzing more perceptible) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRUsG7h46sM

Sorry for bad english but i didn't have time to write directly in english so i used google translate.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,813 Trailblazer
    Both buzz types you describe are probably related to what as sometimes referred to as CPU and GPU induced 'coil whine'. It is audible harmonics or beat frequencies between two or more high-frequency operations created by the CPU or GPU or mainboard components. Not much you can do about it except maybe play around with clock rates and voltage settings or set the system on acoustical tiles. Most computers with high frequency GHz multicore CPUs and GPUs emit coil whine especially when under load. Coil whine loudness is usually governed by the case construction acoustics. It's more annoying than it is harmful to your ears or your computer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• smnbuzz93
    smnbuzz93 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Meanwhile, thank you for answering me.
    In the meantime I had to study and I could not answer before ..
    I know the coil whine phenomena, however, as i mentioned in the letter, I tried a cpu energy management settings, but none of these tests attenuated the buzzes.
    Change frequency, voltage or current of this processor, from what, you can not do. The software intel xtu and the like are not declared compatible with the mobile cpu and other methods invalidate the guarantee of access, so besides being "illegal" it is dangerous for the integrity of the electronic components.
    Also, I wanted to say that I also wrote to acer the same message I posted here in the community. An assistance service was made, I sincerely expected a more exhaustive response both regarding the details of the procedures for sending the pc to a repair center.

However, in the meantime I have had the chance to find further noises (I'm not crazy and my hearing works great :) )

If the general sound of the PC is deactivated from the window bar, the sound of the media player is activated, there is a slight popping sound from the PC speakers. It is a video with a video player, either with the battery or with the power supply connected but I have no problems with the earphones. I have read in some discussions where some have been written by users but I have not solved the thing. In the DELL forum, some have solved a preinstalled utility (smartbyte), but it is about and not acer.
    Is a problem of the ground discharge of the circuits ?

Also, unfortunately, I saw that flow from one photo to another (14 megapixel max) with photo director (pre-installed) the cpu usage varies instantly from 70% and if I continue to flow reaches 100%. Absurd for my hardware! (i7.. 12gb ram.. mx130.. ssd)
    similar phenomena happens
    when i zoom in a vector file (a path with very few nodes, of some bottles of wine).
    An 9 years old laptop of my friend, with adobe illustrator, isn't jerky during the simple zoom with similar and therefore simple files, I am very puzzled. I wonder if it's a problem of intel, microsoft or acer..or simply a software bug but i don't believe one.

To do a complete check I also looked at the conditions of the ram and the sdd (the warranty is not invalidated if you open only these two lids and not the big one, I saw that the film of the SSD has two fingerprints clearly visible (in the factory the workers wear gloves !?) and then I saw that at two points near the ssd, the plastic is scratched, ruined ..... has it been regenerated by acer and sell with a discount?
    I bought the pc from a famous chain store and the box had the seals intact..

----       

Eventually how long will it take for a check in a service center?
    If you need to change a component or not, how long does it take? (I live in Europe). I'm not going to spend even 1 euro .. 1 dollar..1 pound sterling .. for the repair .. the pc is practically new (6 months) and it cost me 900€. I have no money aside, this computer is the only thing of value that I have

ps: if someone during sleep dreams numbers, write me, so I play them in the lottery .. and sorry again for grammatical errors but i've no time to write directly in english language so i used google translate :)

I sincerely thank anyone who will answer me, even though probably will be the fantastic jack.

• Vitruvian
    Vitruvian Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    I have the same buzzing problem from RAM area or RAMS! My Predator (i7 8th gen) has arrived just 4 days ago! Please help me how to solve it, it is very annoying, especially when fans are off. I have paid 1400$ to get it in Europe, country of Georgia and I'm disappointed that it has such issues.
  • JackE
    >>>An 9 years old laptop of my friend, with adobe illustrator, isn't jerky during the simple zoom with similar and therefore simple files, I am very puzzled. I wonder if it's a problem of intel, microsoft or acer..or simply a software bug but i don't believe one.>>>
               That's because your friend is probably still working with Win7, the last halfway decent Windows version.  :)

>>>I saw that the film of the SSD has two fingerprints clearly visible (in the factory the workers wear gloves !?>>>plastic is scratched, ruined ..... has it been regenerated by acer and sell with a discount?>>>
                Was it sold new or as a refurb with the same warranty?

Sorry but at this point, I can only suggest a factory reset using the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown in the video below. I know it's a pain to start from scratch like this but seems like the only way to rule in or rule out hardware problems related to the audible annoyances. They shouldn't be there in a factory-delivered system as received and before any new Win10updates are applied.  If the re-set happens to fix the issues, then I suggest that system protection be enabled so that if one of the updates is the culprit,  you can always use a restore point to get back to the previous update. And then delay the offending update till either a future Microsoft or ACER update finally resolves the issues.  Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    @Vitruvian Try the factory reset as shown above. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/607247/#Comment_607247 . If it still doesn't resolve the annoyance, then return the system to the vendor for a refund or exchange ASAP. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Zezo_Noaman
    Zezo_Noaman Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I have the same problem  with my acer nitro 5     how can I sole it ?
  • JackE
    Zezo_NoamanTry the factory reset by erasing everything or refresh while saving your personal files as shown above. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/607247/#Comment_607247 . Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aheddz92
    aheddz92 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I finally found the solution : go modify the alimentation profil. By default, it should be named Acer ... Choose : create a new profile and choose : energy saver. The fan noise should be gone!  
  • ShortShift
    ShortShift Member Posts: 5 New User
    aheddz92 said:
    I finally found the solution : go modify the alimentation profil. By default, it should be named Acer ... Choose : create a new profile and choose : energy saver. The fan noise should be gone!  

And in english?
  • siddeshas23
    siddeshas23 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

hello did anyone got the solution for these problems 
    its irritating me guys anybody found plz update
  • matibru
    matibru Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

hello did anyone got the solution for these problems 
    its irritating me guys anybody found plz update

Hi Sidd, I'm having the same problem here. It's driving me mad.
    I also think that is coming from the memory RAM.
    Now I can totally confirm this is something related with the RAM because while checkup > RAM from the Acer Care Center app is running, the noise stops until the checkup is done and the noise starts again.

I don't know what else to do, I'm actually thinking of returning the laptop and jump to a diff brand asap.

I have an Acer Predator PT512-52