defect found in my SSD?

Butchervdcr
Butchervdcr Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
hey,
i got my acer predator 300 10 months ago. i launched today the first time (probaly) the acer care center, i ran a check on my SSD and it says a defect is found and to better back up my files.
what could be the problem? how could it be happening, in this range price that something goes broke so fast....? 

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    10 months is also a long time for a system to be in use.
    FYI: A SSD has a limited number of read/writes when compared to a standard HDD so there are things you can do to ensure longevity of the drive.

(This doesn't repair your drive simply shows how to maintain a long lifespan.)

1) Disable hibernation and system restore and use an external drive to create system backups. If hibernation is left enabled the SSD will constantly be writing information on each reboot/shut down and therefore lessen the lifespan of the SSD. (This is a common practice)

2) Disable Prefetch/Superfetch: By default Windows is configured to always be caching commonly used files/folders (Writing them to cache) so that when you use "File Explorer" to search for those files it will pull them up a few seconds faster then if Prefetch was disabled. Since an SSD is already quite fast it's also a good practice to disable Prefetch.
    This can be done by clicking your start button > type "services" and hit enter > navigate to "Superfetch" > Right click select "Properties" > select for startup type "disabled" > select the "stop" button.

3) In file explorer under This PC find your SSD for example it's probably C: Drive and right click > properties > uncheck the box that says "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" > apply to folder and sub folders
    This will take a while to complete.

4) Always try to leave 15-30% of your SSD space free of anything. This allows the free space to be "cycled" and increases lifespan/performance as well.

While the above methods can help prolong the read/writes/lifespan of your SSD it doesn't FIX the fact that your drive is failing. You need to create a backup to an external drive/source of all the information you'd like to keep ASAP.
    Then contact Acer as you're still within the warranty period and have them replace/repair your drive.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Use crystaldiskinfo to check which sector is in trouble!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Butchervdcr
    edited September 2018
    Use crystaldiskinfo to check which sector is in trouble!
    i will do it now and update.
    i also have another 2 questions please:
    1. can the battery of the laptop be removed?
    2. i chose in the settings that the laptop will go to sleep mode only after 1 hour and sometimes it goes to sleep mode after couple of minutes.. what could be the problem?
    thanks

update:
    it say in that software 98% good. 
    the things that arent on 100 are:

AD _98 _98 __0 000000000029 Average Block-Erase Count
    C2 _57 _35 __0 00410010002B Temperature
    CA _98 _98 __1 000000000002 Percent Lifetime Used
    B4 __0 __0 __0 000000000800 Unused Reserve NAND Blocks

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    10 months is also a long time for a system to be in use.
    FYI: A SSD has a limited number of read/writes when compared to a standard HDD so there are things you can do to ensure longevity of the drive.

(This doesn't repair your drive simply shows how to maintain a long lifespan.)

1) Disable hibernation and system restore and use an external drive to create system backups. If hibernation is left enabled the SSD will constantly be writing information on each reboot/shut down and therefore lessen the lifespan of the SSD. (This is a common practice)

2) Disable Prefetch/Superfetch: By default Windows is configured to always be caching commonly used files/folders (Writing them to cache) so that when you use "File Explorer" to search for those files it will pull them up a few seconds faster then if Prefetch was disabled. Since an SSD is already quite fast it's also a good practice to disable Prefetch.
    This can be done by clicking your start button > type "services" and hit enter > navigate to "Superfetch" > Right click select "Properties" > select for startup type "disabled" > select the "stop" button.

3) In file explorer under This PC find your SSD for example it's probably C: Drive and right click > properties > uncheck the box that says "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" > apply to folder and sub folders
    This will take a while to complete.

4) Always try to leave 15-30% of your SSD space free of anything. This allows the free space to be "cycled" and increases lifespan/performance as well.

While the above methods can help prolong the read/writes/lifespan of your SSD it doesn't FIX the fact that your drive is failing. You need to create a backup to an external drive/source of all the information you'd like to keep ASAP.
    Then contact Acer as you're still within the warranty period and have them replace/repair your drive.
    - Hotel Hero
  • The ideal would be to hit a photo! It should look like this:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Butchervdcr
    The ideal would be to hit a photo! It should look like this:

• About the problem with sleep, make sure this:

It is also possible that some other program is interfering with the power options and so the notebook is suspending sooner!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Butchervdcr
    About the problem with sleep, make sure this:

It is also possible that some other program is interfering with the power options and so the notebook is suspending sooner!
    yep man i changed that also to 1 hour, still going to sleep mode 
  • Follow the steps indicated by colleague @ Red-Sand as it will preserve the ssd's life!
    Also check that the trim is actually enabled, even though the program does show it! Go to the cmd as administrator and enter this command: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    If DisableDeleteNotify = 0 appears, trim is already active!
    If all sectors indicated by the crystaldiskinfo program are in blue, I would not worry about swapping ssd for now!
    It may have slowed the ssd life a bit, because, as @ Red-Sand said, ssd has a limit of writing and reading!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Butchervdcr
    edited September 2018
    Follow the steps indicated by colleague @ Red-Sand as it will preserve the ssd's life!
    Also check that the trim is actually enabled, even though the program does show it! Go to the cmd as administrator and enter this command: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    If DisableDeleteNotify = 0 appears, trim is already active!
    If all sectors indicated by the crystaldiskinfo program are in blue, I would not worry about swapping ssd for now!
    It may have slowed the ssd life a bit, because, as @ Red-Sand said, ssd has a limit of writing and reading!
    thats what i get:

does it mean my SSD is fine? its okay that my "unused reserve band blocks" is on 0?
    also do you know if you can remove this laptop battery? my laptop is always connected to power so i dont want the battery to get use for nothing.

really thanks for the help man.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    About the problem with sleep, make sure this:

yep man i changed that also to 1 hour, still going to sleep mode 
    Then try to uninstall and delete the video driver in the device manager and restart; try also uninstalling and deleting the battery driver and restart:

Then download the driver of vídeo again from the Acer website and install again and test!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• If the trim is appearing in crystaldiskinf and appears = 0 in cmd, then it is active!
    On the battery, it is possible to remove, however you will have to disassemble the notebook! I do not recommend removing the internal battery!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strange that Acer Care shows errors on drive!
    You can use CrystalDisk to run a S.M.A.R.T test on that drive to be sure it's not failing I believe right @egydiocoelho?
    - Hotel Hero