Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer aspire keyboard not working in laptop mode

rachelevs90rachelevs90 Posts: 12Member

Tinkerer

I have an aspire running windows 10 and today when i went to use it the keyboard is no longer working somehow, though the mouse still does.
i can switch between desktop and tablet mode ok, i just cant use the physical keyboard in desktop mode.
i installed a windows 10 update last week but it had been working fine til today.
are there any keyboard drivers i should check or reinstall? any suggestions appreciated.
cheers, rachel

FAQ & Answers

• Go to the device manager and check for any troublesome drivers!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jack22Jack22 Posts: 2,042ACE Pathfinder
    @rachelevs90

Completely reboot your laptop

The simplest fix to your keyboard issue is to reboot your Acer laptop completely. To do so:

1) Press and hold the power button of your laptop until the laptop is totally off.

2) Unplug the power cable and the battery from your laptop. 

3) Leave your laptop for a few seconds

4) Plug the power cable and the battery back to your laptop.

5) Power on your computer. Then check to see if this fixes your keyboard.

Method 2: Disable Filter Keys

Filter Keys is a feature that makes your keyboard ignore brief or repeated keystrokes. It sometimes lead to a laptop keyboard not working issue. You can try disabling Filter Keys to sort this issue out.

1) Click the Start menu (the Windows logo) at the bottom left of your screen. Then click Settings (in Windows 10) or Control Panel (in Windows 7).

Open Settings in Windows 10

2) Click Ease of Access.

3) Click Keyboard (in Windows 10) or Make the keyboard easier to use (in Windows 7).

Keyboard setting on Windows 10

Keyboard setting on Windows 7

4) Disable the Filter Keys function (switch off Filter Keys or uncheck Turn on Filter Keys).

5) Try your keyboard and see if disabling Filter Keys can restore your keyboard.

Update your keyboard driver by going Acer website

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • TECH_MANTECH_MAN Posts: 419Ally
    @rachelevs90

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
    2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
    3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
    Go to >->Control Panel-> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Right click and Uninstall the keyboard driver,Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver)-> When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

Or

Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Properties -> Power Management

Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" and restart.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • rachelevs90rachelevs90 Posts: 12Member

Tinkerer

thanks for the replies.  I had already tried the rebooting and sticky keys options, neither of which worked.

How do I find the keyboard drivers to uninstall them? I cant seem to find where they live in Windows 10 and searching drivers in the settings doesn't bring anything up.  I've done it on older windows platforms ok but just cant seem to find it in 10. cheers, Rachel

Tinkerer

TECH_MAN said:
    @rachelevs90

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
    2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
    3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
    Go to >->Control Panel-> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Right click and Uninstall the keyboard driver,Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver)-> When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

Or

Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Root Hub/Generic USB Hub -> Properties -> Power Management

Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" and restart.

So I've tried the first option on your list but i don't get an option for 'uninstall driver's only update driver (to which it then says the most current is installed) or uninstall device, which I'm assuming isn't the same thing. The trouble shooter says device can't start - code 10. Device timed out, specified i/o operation was not completed before time out period expired. Does that give any clues?
  • It would be easier to see if you hit a photo of the device manager like this:

Also tell us the exact model of your notebook! Example vx5-591g!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Tinkerer

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, I was using a bluetooth keyboard in the interim and have only just had time to rethink about it again.  Image of device manager screen and error message attached
  • egydiocoelhoegydiocoelho Posts: 28,995ACE Trailblazer
    Can you tell the exact model of your computer? Example an515-51-75kz!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

Tinkerer

Aspire R-11, R3-131T-C1EW.
    This keyboard that is not working, is the external keyboard or the keyboard that is integrated with the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

Tinkerer

the integrated keyboard
    In bios, is there a function called "function key behavior"? Could you tell the idhardware of the keyboard driver like this? Example:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

Tinkerer

it's the 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' - is that what you mean?

Yes my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer