Slow SSD speed , (file transfering , app opening) , Newly installd evo860 drive

VenturaDan
VenturaDan Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
hey , as written above
I have installed a new evo 860 (I know its sata3) and its transfer speed is about 30mbps
once in a while it peeks to 300mbps
even though its sata 3 it still an ssd , it should be faster.. much faster
i have noticed it when i tried to transfer files from my M2 nvme built in ssd to my newly added SATA3 ssd

is there anything i should change in the bios perhaps? maybe on the windows preferences?

would really appreciate the help ! thanks alot

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Red-Sand said:
    hey , as written above
    I have installed a new evo 860 (I know its sata3) and its transfer speed is about 30mbps
    i have noticed it when i tried to transfer files from my M2 nvme built in ssd to my newly added SATA3 ssd

is there anything i should change in the bios perhaps? maybe on the windows preferences?

Hey bro this is actually pretty normal and depends on what exactly is being written/transferred.

When your transferring lots of smaller programs lets say from a folder holding lots of stuff.. it is a bit slower as it is transferring and "making sure" checksums match etc of the transfers.  When you get to the larger files that the CPU can focus on it transfers at a higher rate.

Even my Thunder Bolt 3 does it... no worries its normal.
    Thanks for the quick and helpful answer 
    before I finish,
    I have seen on some youtube videos that when you plug a new ssd , you should change something in the bios in order to give it a boost in speed and use its benefits , was it a bunch of none sense?

Hmmmm Cant say I recall doing anything like that for my NVMEs. Maybe there is something if it were a PCIE connection but like you said it's SATA III so I wouldn't think so.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• hey , as written above

Hey bro this is actually pretty normal and depends on what exactly is being written/transferred.

When your transferring lots of smaller programs lets say from a folder holding lots of stuff.. it is a bit slower as it is transferring and "making sure" checksums match etc of the transfers.  When you get to the larger files that the CPU can focus on it transfers at a higher rate.

- Hotel Hero
  • VenturaDan
    Red-Sand said:
    hey , as written above

before I finish,
    I have seen on some youtube videos that when you plug a new ssd , you should change something in the bios in order to give it a boost in speed and use its benefits , was it a bunch of none sense?
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Red-Sand said:
    hey , as written above

before I finish,

Hmmmm Cant say I recall doing anything like that for my NVMEs. Maybe there is something if it were a PCIE connection but like you said it's SATA III so I wouldn't think so.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Also a quick note. A NVME on a Helios works really good. Its somewhere inbetween a full NVME and a SATA III in terms of read/write speeds...
    Like a SATA IV? Lol
    Good choice.
    - Hotel Hero
  • VenturaDan
    I AM MOST PLEASED WITH ABOUT EVERYTHING IN THIS LAPTOP
    including the nvme ssd ..
    Great laptop!