Undecided between 15 and 17 inches

Options
Dedalo89
Dedalo89 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I was going to with the Helios 300. As far as I know there were some differences between the 15 and 17 inches model for the 2017 version (for example, display quality was much higher for the 17''). What about the current generation? Should I go for a 15 inches or 17 inches (specifically: the NH.Q3FET.014 or NH.Q3DET.009)?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Shayd
    Shayd Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The screens on both should be closer to the same quality assuming you grab the upgraded panel versions, which I think all 8th gen Helios models have now? As for battery life, likely pretty similar, maybe very slightly better in the 15" due to the smaller screen. I would suggest grabbing the 15" model, and maybe buy an external monitor for home gaming/work sessions.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    15"
    1. slightly longer battery life
    2. more portability
    3. cheaper, can be supplemented with an external monitor (mine is 15" with 22" external monitor) (17" is big, but small when put on a desk for extended periods)

17"
    1. might have lower battery due to increased screen size
    2. less portability
    3. less hotter since there is more room inside for parts
    4. might have more ports cos of extra room

I used 17" and now using 15"... personally I am liking 15 cos its easier on my lap when outside, less weight to carry around, and when at home, its connected to a 22" monitor (much bigger than 17).

Also, if my laptop screen is simple full HD @ 60 fps, i am good. This is cos i can always upgrade my external monitor for much less price, plus having more pixels on screen means more battery drain.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• Shayd
    Options
    What will you be using the laptop for, mostly? And will you go mobile often, or just occasionally? If you travel often and bring your laptop, or have a very small area and space is an issue, go with the 15". If you mostly use it as a desktop replacement, go with the 17". The G3-571 7th gen Helios 15" doesn't come with 3D Aeroblade fans, but I believe all others do, so keep that in mind if you want quieter fans.
  • Dedalo89
    Dedalo89 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you. I would use it mostly for programming (and usually I do like some more screen estate as I use bigger fonts) and some rendering. Occasionally, gaming. I'm about to move to another city and probably will be doing back and forth between my apartment and my university. Quieter fans are definitely a plus. What about screens? Does the 8th gen Helios have consistent screen quality between the 15'' and 17'' models? Do the batteries last the same for both?
  • Shayd
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The screens on both should be closer to the same quality assuming you grab the upgraded panel versions, which I think all 8th gen Helios models have now? As for battery life, likely pretty similar, maybe very slightly better in the 15" due to the smaller screen. I would suggest grabbing the 15" model, and maybe buy an external monitor for home gaming/work sessions.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    15"
    1. slightly longer battery life
    2. more portability
    3. cheaper, can be supplemented with an external monitor (mine is 15" with 22" external monitor) (17" is big, but small when put on a desk for extended periods)

17"
    1. might have lower battery due to increased screen size
    2. less portability
    3. less hotter since there is more room inside for parts
    4. might have more ports cos of extra room

I used 17" and now using 15"... personally I am liking 15 cos its easier on my lap when outside, less weight to carry around, and when at home, its connected to a 22" monitor (much bigger than 17).

Also, if my laptop screen is simple full HD @ 60 fps, i am good. This is cos i can always upgrade my external monitor for much less price, plus having more pixels on screen means more battery drain.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045