Predator G5920 hard disk drive upgrade

Wilhelmus
Wilhelmus Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
Hello everyone,
I have an Acer Predator G5920 with a 2 TB HDD and a 16 GB SSD for several years now, which started running really slow one day during this summer's heat. Checking task manager I saw that the HDD had 100% activity constantly and this seems to be a bad sector problem with the HDD drive according to the internet (to me it feels like some bitcoin farmer has hacked my computer and is using my computer to mine cryptocurrency or something XD).

So I bought a 250 GB SSD and replaced it for the HDD, but to my surprise the BIOS doesn't recognise this as a drive at all.
Plugged the HDD back in and plugged the 250 GB SSD in as a 3rd drive next to the 16 GB SSD already in there, and then the BIOS suddenly does recognise the 250 GB SSD. o_O
I put an Ubuntu MATE OS on the 250 SSD for testing and after some hiccups I managed to dual boot it with Windows 10 OS on the HDD, working both fine under the circumstances.
Unplugged the HDD again to see if the BIOS will recognise 250 GB SSD now, but I got a big nope again. :(

What I want to achieve is the following:
the 2 TB HDD -> delete all the 7 partitions and have just one big giant 2 TB partition for storage purposes only,
the 16 GB SSD -> remove the partition that's on it and replace it with a partition with some small Linux OS or something,
the 250 GB SSD -> make this my main Windows 7 OS drive (because I am sick of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 frankly),
however what is stopping me doing this, is the current BIOS refusing to recognise a SSD as a drive I can boot from, so my question  to this community is this:

If I download the BIOS for Linux version P11.A0L from https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4238?b=1&pn=DT.SJNEH.004 and upgrade my system with it; will this new BIOS then recognise SSDs as bootable drives and will I be able to install and run a Windows 7 OS from my 250 GB SSD in my Acer Predator G5920 desktop?

Answers

• 1) Examine the 2tb hd with an excellent antivirus! Then download the crystaldiskinfo and check if there are any bad sectors!
    2) Windows 7 works best in legacy mode! Your bios is set to be used in uefi mode! To enable legacy mode, create an easy password in the set supervisor password, disable secure boot and enable launch csm, which must be enabled after the password is created!
    3) To install windows 7 in legacy mode, you should convert the hd's to mbr! However you can try to install windows 7 in uefi mode! What I think is happening is that the new hd be in mbr format and so it is not recognized is not recognized in uefi mode! To work in uefi mode, hd must be converted to gpt!
    4) Make a backup before your files;
    5) I do not recommend you upgrade bios to p11.a0l! Although its model is a g5920, the manufacturer produces bios models for different motherboards that are used in the same model:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • To install windows 7, create a bootable USB stick using cmd as administrator:

Then download an iso of windows 7! If installing in uefi mode, download an iso x64 with sp2!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)