E5-476 compatible with M.2 NVME ?

Options
Natidada
Natidada Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have recently bought another laptop which is i3/4gb/1tb and the model number is E5-476. Can I install M.2 NVME SSD on this ? preferably Samsung Evo 970 NVME or MP300 Corsair.

Please suggest.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    (1) The nvme is newer faster technology that should be backward compatible with older slower SATA3 mainboards. (2) The nvme's built-in backward compatibility should work in a the slower SATA3 mainboard but sometimes there are problems so it's not 100% guaranteed that ALL nvmes will work with ALL mainboards. (3) Both the Kingston SATA3 and the Corsair NVME should deliver about the same 500MB/sec in your machine vs about 100MB/sec for an HDD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yes. NVMEs should be SATA3 backward compatible but will only operate at m.2 SATA3 not NVME speeds. So don't pay extra for NVME. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Natidada 
    This model supports  SSD: 128 / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    Some models have option bar to install additional HDD.
    Please remove the hard disk cover and check if there is a M.2 SSD module connector on the top assembly as shown in the below image:

Some officially tested SSD are listed below: 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Natidada
    Options
    @brummyfan2 Please suggest - I have just bought E5-476-354M 
    Can I install nvme M.2 SSD on this laptop ?

There is a similar thread with "G" model
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/543114/m-2-slot-in-acer-aspire-e14-e5-476g-50wa
  • Natidada
    Options
    Which SSD would you suggest then ?
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820236393

Is this MP300 compatible with my laptop ? This is nvme, which other would u recommend ?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes. the Corsair m.2 NVME should compatible with your e5-476. But it won't be any faster or more reliable in your machine than a cheaper Kingston or Hynix m.2 SATA3 of equal size. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Natidada
    Options
    Thank You @JackE for the information

Could you please also 
    1. explain why I will not get nvme speed even though its compatible with the motherboard?
    2. How do you figure out if an SSD is nvme compatible or not ?
    3. Any idea about the speed R/W I will get with Kingston m2 Sata3 SSD on my laptop ?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    (1) The nvme is newer faster technology that should be backward compatible with older slower SATA3 mainboards. (2) The nvme's built-in backward compatibility should work in a the slower SATA3 mainboard but sometimes there are problems so it's not 100% guaranteed that ALL nvmes will work with ALL mainboards. (3) Both the Kingston SATA3 and the Corsair NVME should deliver about the same 500MB/sec in your machine vs about 100MB/sec for an HDD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Natidada
    Options
    Thank You @JackE
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck with whatever m.2 you decide on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Panda909
    Panda909 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have Acer aspire JackE said:
    what M.2 SSD type should i buy sir ?
  • JackE
    Options
    It depends on what ACER model you have. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ