How do i fix decreased performance

GamingCinemaInc
GamingCinemaInc Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
hey so i bought myself and acer predator helios 300 laptop about 2 months ago and it feels like it is performing slower than it used to i have undervolted my cpy but i don't know if that does anything to performance, also my ssd has like no space left and i think that also might be a reason why but i dont know

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Windows 10.. isn't it?
    Open my computer --> Right click on windows drive --> select properties --> disk clean up --> select clean up system files --> and clean

This should help clean up old versions of windows too like when you updated between releases of windows 10. But be 100% sure you do not want to rollback when you do this. This process will get you quite some space freed up.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • GamingCinemaInc
    sri369 said:
    Windows 10.. isn't it?
    Open my computer --> Right click on windows drive --> select properties --> disk clean up --> select clean up system files --> and clean

This should help clean up old versions of windows too like when you updated between releases of windows 10. But be 100% sure you do not want to rollback when you do this. This process will get you quite some space freed up.
    i don't see the windows drive i see my ssd and hdd
  • sri369
    sri369 said:
    Windows 10.. isn't it?

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • GamingCinemaInc
    sri369 said:
    sri369 said:
    Windows 10.. isn't it?

mine still doesn't show that it just show my hdd and sdd and recovery
  • sri369
    sri369 said:
    sri369 said:
    Windows 10.. isn't it?

Screenshot please.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • GamingCinemaInc
    sri369 said:
    sri369 said:
    sri369 said:
    Windows 10.. isn't it?

Screenshot please.

• sri369
    edited September 2018
    Do the steps i told you on my computer --> c: (acer)
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • GamingCinemaInc
    sri369 said:
    Do the steps i told you on my computer --> c: (acer)
    still wont show
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    Open my computer --> Right click on windows drive (Acer C:) --> select properties --> disk clean up --> select clean up system files --> and clean

Open my computer --> Right click on windows drive (Acer C:) --> take a screenshot of your screen like this using PrintScreen and send, if still unable to do it
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Your OS should be on your SSD.
    I think it's named "Acer" by default.

And yes performance will degrade when your SSD is nearly full. You always want to leave about 35% (preferably) empty.

What kind of SSD do you have?
    Maybe we can get the manufacturer software and enable over provisioning to prevent this.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Shayd
    Shayd Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I have experienced the same problem after Windows Update installed new drivers, especially after the 1803 update. I would download and install the stock Intel drivers from Acers driver downloads for your Helios 300 model. Go with AHCI, Chipset, Turbo Boost, and Intel VGA. You can run Windows update to update/install all of your other drivers first, and then install the stock drivers. I've come to realize how different notebooks are from desktops in how drivers can affect performance. It seems for Desktops, newer is better, while some laptops prefer the stock drivers due to custom software and OS installed. With the Helios, it seems that the stock drivers are the most stable and give the best performance and temperatures. If performance still isn't great, try downloading and installing the stock Nvidia VGA driver from the Acer downloads page as well, or the driver 388.31(if GTX 1060). Speaking from experience, I've seen a major difference in Nvidia drivers alone. Hope this helps if the others suggestion do not.
  • @Shayd knows what's up. 👍👍
    - Hotel Hero
  • GamingCinemaInc
    Red-Sand said:
    Your OS should be on your SSD.
    I think it's named "Acer" by default.

And yes performance will degrade when your SSD is nearly full. You always want to leave about 35% (preferably) empty.

What kind of SSD do you have?
    Maybe we can get the manufacturer software and enable over provisioning to prevent this.
    16GB DDR4 2666MHz DRAM Memory & 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD