Drivers update?

Options
Foxyintheboxy22
Foxyintheboxy22 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
 Hi guys,

i have a predator helios 300 572-760k. Since i bought this, i have never update any driver that wasn't nvidia driver from Nvidia Geforce experience. My question is, how could i know when the other drivers need an update? do you have some softwares? some procedure? 

thanks all for answers!

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Foxyintheboxy22
    You could download and install Acer Care centre, it has driver update utility.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/software-acer-care-center

While you should keep an eye on any security updates that pop up, different driver versions can introduce stability problems, so if your hardware is working as expected, you're better off not updating, since you never know when it might cause problems. 
    You'll rarely get big speed or feature boosts from a driver update, so unless you see in the release notes that there's something big, you're usually okay to just ignore it.
    Unlike other drivers, video drivers are updated often and usually with big performance increases, especially in new games.So, when you see that your video card has a new driver available, see what improvements the driver offers—if it offers system-wide performance improvements or improvements in a game you're currently playing, you'll definitely want to update. If it doesn't, stick with the current driver.
    The driver packages Windows automatically installs are different from the ones your device manufacturers provide. The core drivers are created by your device manufacturer and provided by Microsoft after they go through Microsoft’s Windows Hardware Quality Labs testing to ensure they’re stable.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Foxyintheboxy22
    You could download and install Acer Care centre, it has driver update utility.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/software-acer-care-center

While you should keep an eye on any security updates that pop up, different driver versions can introduce stability problems, so if your hardware is working as expected, you're better off not updating, since you never know when it might cause problems. 
    You'll rarely get big speed or feature boosts from a driver update, so unless you see in the release notes that there's something big, you're usually okay to just ignore it.
    Unlike other drivers, video drivers are updated often and usually with big performance increases, especially in new games.So, when you see that your video card has a new driver available, see what improvements the driver offers—if it offers system-wide performance improvements or improvements in a game you're currently playing, you'll definitely want to update. If it doesn't, stick with the current driver.
    The driver packages Windows automatically installs are different from the ones your device manufacturers provide. The core drivers are created by your device manufacturer and provided by Microsoft after they go through Microsoft’s Windows Hardware Quality Labs testing to ensure they’re stable.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
     Hi guys,

i have a predator helios 300 572-760k. Since i bought this, i have never update any driver that wasn't nvidia driver from Nvidia Geforce experience. My question is, how could i know when the other drivers need an update? do you have some softwares? some procedure? 

thanks all for answers!
    As long as your system is stable, and all software and games are working to your satisfaction, don't bother. I mean, really don't bother. Just 'cos there is a new driver update released does not mean it is better than the one already installed. Atleast this is what i follow.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    If you update Windows 100% then it updates to 1803 which overwrites with all of the latest drivers even if you didn't want to.

I'd suggest grabbing from Acer's driver download page:

Intel chipset, Intel AHCI, Intel VGA and Realtek

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    If you update Windows 100% then it updates to 1803 which overwrites with all of the latest drivers even if you didn't want to.

Oh yes! Thanks @Red-Sand for pointing this out. Disable driver auto updating via windows update.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Red-Sand said:

Oh yes! Thanks @Red-Sand for pointing this out. Disable driver auto updating via windows update.

I've found simply updating to 1803 then immediately choosing "rollback" in settings > updates & security > recovery > rollback
    allows you to stay on 1703 (until next big release) and still recieve security updates.

Disabling driver updates is a good practice.
    You can use a tool like "winaero tweaker" to do it system wide easily.
    - Hotel Hero
  • FrozenKay
    FrozenKay Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I agree with @sri369. Personally, I do not often update drivers until something goes wrong with devices. To check and upgrade drivers, mostly I would use Device Manager in Windows Update and download the updates on the device manufacturer’s sites, sometimes, I would also use SnailDriver which is an honest free driver update tool to find and download uncommon updates.