Acer Predator Helios 300 annoying Screen Tearing.

Options
KepardPlay
KepardPlay Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I experience screen tearing around every 2-5 seconds in any application that uses the GPU. I simply want a way to fix this, for it is EXTREMELY annoying. Basically it feels like im having 30 fps, but i get 150-200 average in games i play.
This was happening since i purchased this laptop.
Even with V-Sync it still happens. I can't use vsync because i play competitive games like csgo, pubg and Lag imput is basically making the game unplayable.
I would also like to know if i could refund my laptop with my guaratee.

Here is a video that i recorded with my phone in slow motion to show what happens in games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vNHfNr1e2o

PLEASE HELP ME I CAN ONLY USE MY LAPTOP FOR APPS BECAUSE GAMING IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH THIS SCREEN TEARING.

Answers

• KepardPlay
    Options
     This should not be happening and is unplayable for any FPS games, if you have any suggestions on how to fix this that will be greatly appreciated!

I have all of the latest drivers installed as well.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    I can't use vsync because i play competitive games like csgo, pubg and Lag imput is basically making the game unplayable.

Here is a video that i recorded with my phone in slow motion to show what happens in games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vNHfNr1e2o

PLEASE HELP ME I CAN ONLY USE MY LAPTOP FOR APPS BECAUSE GAMING IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH THIS SCREEN TEARING.
    Curious... what screen/monitor do you use? Does that have more than 60Hz refresh rate? If not, turn on vsync and limit frames to 60. More than 60 FPS on a 60 Hz screen wouldn't many difference except in the FPS counter.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • KepardPlay
    Options
    sri369 said:
    I can't use vsync because i play competitive games like csgo, pubg and Lag imput is basically making the game unplayable.

Curious... what screen/monitor do you use? Does that have more than 60Hz refresh rate? If not, turn on vsync and limit frames to 60. More than 60 FPS on a 60 Hz screen wouldn't many difference except in the FPS counter.
    I use the laptop monitor. But the problem is that i cant block fps at 60 because i need more fps for FPS Games i play
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @sri369 In games like CSGO there is a latency (when shooting etc) if your FPS is not high enough that verrryyyy slightly gives an edge when shooting someone. So its a standard practice of those competative gamers to have increased FPS to alleviate the latency. It is a in game latency and not fixable unless FPS is high. 
    On ALL other games V Sync is a must.

I do however understand tearing is annoying.
    What I suggest is two things.

1) Download Nvidia inspector tool and use it to cap your FPS to a lesser value then just letting your GPU run uncapped. I know hundreds of CSGO players who simply cap max FPS to 75-100 and it gives them the latency benefit and lessens tearing greatly. Unfortunately unless you have a high HZ monitor to use the tearing wont go away 100%.

2) Enable triple buffering in Nvidia control panel.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Thanks @Red-Sand, I didn't know this. I always had vsync on in my games.

One thing I could then suggest though is still turning on vsync but limiting FPS to say like 90 - is this even possible? If it is, maybe it could help with the screen tearing issue.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Thanks @Red-Sand, I didn't know this. I always had vsync on in my games.

One thing I could then suggest though is still turning on vsync but limiting FPS to say like 90 - is this even possible? If it is, maybe it could help with the screen tearing issue.

If you cap at 90 but have V Sync on it will still cap at 60 fps = 60hz of display
    - Hotel Hero
  • KepardPlay
    Options
    Is it a laptop problem? So i can go to warranty center
  • jocosoljobel
    jocosoljobel Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited September 2018
    Options
    Is it a laptop problem? So i can go to warranty center
    I believe it's not a laptop problem. The screen of your laptop has only 60hz refresh rate, meaning it will only output 60 frames per second even if your in-game fps is higher than 60fps (meaning V-sync off).

(1st) If you really want a higher fps for your games, you may upgrade your display/screen with a higher refresh rate (144hz for example), considering that it's compatible with your laptop model. Changing your laptop screen should be done by a professional if you're not confident that you can do it yourself.

(2nd) Or, if you want, you may buy a Desktop screen with high refresh rate then plug it to your HDMI (or better, Display port if available on your laptop). And if you're really in it to win it, you may buy a monitor with G-Sync, but of course it's gonna be more costly.

Second option is my bet if I were to upgrade my rig.