Acer Swift 1 Does not recognise Android phone when connected to usb port

KJH135
KJH135 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I have never been able to connect my andoid phone to Acer Swift to open and transfer files between devices. I can transfer files between android phone and other PCs no issues but when connecting the phone to swift the phone charges but is not recognised by the PC. I have tried updating drivers and changing USB settings on phone but nothing has worked.

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    when you plug in the phone, swipe down on your phone screen (says "usb charging this device"), tap that, change to "transfer files"
  • KJH135
    When I plug in my phone that option from swiping down does not come up. I can transfer files using other computers its only the swift that does not recognise the phone.
  • Gawain
    edited September 2018
    what is your phone and android version (mine does this with oreo, and an old samsung did it with marshmellow)?  The other option is to change it on your laptop but i'm assuming you use the laptop to charge the phone sometimes too (you'd have to change it back whenever you wanted to charge), or install a program like kde connect so you wouldn't need a cable to transfer files (when both devices are connected to the same network)
  • Gawain
    just a quick check,  swipe down from the top (notification bar), not the middle or anywhere else.
  • KJH135
    Phone is a fairly old samsung with android version 5.1.1. When swiping down to bring up notification bar there is no USB option for file transfer or charging.
  • Gawain
    have you tried Airdroid app?
  • Gawain
  • KJH135
    Unfortunately when i open storage there are no 3 dots in the corner to then change USB setting. I did however follow this:

and I can confirm that the phone is set to MTP.

As i said before I don't believe its a phone issue as i can still transfer files to the specific phone on other computers it is ony the acer swift that does not recognize the phone to allow file transfer.

• Gawain
    edited September 2018
    and as i said before, my swift 1 with an android phone (and a windows phone) did exactly the same to begin with (but fine on my other pc's).  So i wish you all the best changing your pc settings to transfer rather than charge when this device is plugged in, a quick search on youtube will give a tutorial. (or as I've already suggested, if you installed kde connect or airdroid you wouldn't need a cable).