What's going on with my Predator Helios 300?

Options
Tempus2Chill
Tempus2Chill Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
     I'll start with the basics, I've had this laptop for 3 days now and I've had constant issues. It's a Predator Helios 300, Model #: PH315-51-78NP, CPU-i7 8750H, GPU: GTX-1060, Memory:16GB, Storage: 256GB and came with Win 10 Home. I did upgrade the OS to Win 10 Pro on the 2nd day hoping it would help fix some things and I prefer Pro anyways, but it didn't help. I updated all the drivers from Acer's website that they have, then when I started having issues I went through device manager and checked/updated every component that was listed, things got worse. At first it would just do small things like reset all of a sudden or a driver would be having an issue so I would uninstall it and reinstall it. Then it progressed to windows update not being able to load the 1803 update, then the group policies were all screwed up and I couldn't hardly change any settings, although I'm the only account and was administrator. Then I activated super administrator and erased that account, that was no better. I have had Microsoft remote in twice now, for 2hrs a piece, and do troubleshooting (install an iso of 1803, sfc /scannow, etc) and it never helped.
     On the second day after I had upgraded the OS and stuff was still just crashing and burning around me I decided I would just reset it and keep my personal files. That helped for about an hr and drivers started screwing up again. Third day, I decide that I will just erase everything and use all the knowledge I've gained from forums to try to keep everything stable, but the system refused to do any reset. It would just pop up the loading wheel and then it would disappear and start me back at the troubleshooter. Oh, and this was from system start up because the password for me to log in to my account wouldn't work for some reason. I called Acer and he wanted me to try it again so I did, of course it worked this time. Now I'm back in, starting from scratch. I download all windows updates and reset after each batch (2 batches). Then I installed the drivers from Acer one at a time and reset in between each install. I didn't do the Intel graphics one though because I had seen someone in one of these forums say it screwed up stuff in the registry and I didn't want to have to go in and delete entries. I made my 1060 the default so it would be less of an issue if there was one. No sooner than I finished all that I started having issues again, doing resets would cause startup repair to activate and it'd have to cycle through 7-8 times before it would make it to my log in.
     Now I am like the Apollo astronauts that had to use bare bone systems in a specific order or everything would crash. My current configuration is windows update 1703 that I loaded from an iso image, someone here said it was stable with this laptop, and I am currently installing the drivers again but still issues. It just took an hr and a half to load the Realtek audio driver. So, I'm out of ideas. I've kept a cooling pad and a small fan on it since day 1, temps have never gotten past 83C. But that is still pretty high considering I can't even play this VR game I bought because it just starts freaking out (mouse lags, image is frozen in headset, takes forever to shut it down). I've slept 4 hrs in the last 3 days trying to fix this thing and manage in some homework before it crashes. I just need a computer that works at this point, do I need to replace the SSD? Take out the GPU? Don't install any drivers? Light it on fire, drop out of school, and go live under a bridge? If anyone has dealt with a similar issue I would appreciate hearing your resolution, good or bad. Thanks, sorry for the lengthy post.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Options
    Tempus2Chill 
    Sorry to hear about your experience with your new Acer Predator Helios laptop. At this point the best option is to contact Acer support in your region again and talk to them, if they are unable to resolve the issue please have it escalated to next level of support for option to fix these issues. Another option is to contact your retailer and get a replacement laptop.

You can also 
    send a private message to Acer-Manny with the serial number of your device so that the concerned team can check the case notes and help you address your concerns. https://community.acer.com/en/messages/add/Acer-Manny 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Shayd
    Shayd Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Factory reset again(I know, it sucks...) via Acer Care Center if you can. Once that's done, if successful, run Windows update and let it do it's thing for as long as it needs to. Once that's finished, go to the Acer drivers download page, search your model, and download/update to the latest BIOS version. Then, download and install the stock Intel drivers from the Acer page. Only the Intel ACHI, Chipset, Turbo Boost, VGA, and Realtek drivers. As for the Nvidia GPU, the best drivers in my opinion are also the stock driver on the Acer website, or 388.31(compatible with Geforce Experience). Here's a link: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-388-31-whql-driver-download.html Scroll to the bottom and download the Win 10 Notebook version for your windows(32bit or 64bit).
    Once you're finished, disable windows automatic updates. Don't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro until you test the stock Windows 10 OS after these steps. Hope this helps.
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Although a minor point, the OS that ships with your laptop is customized by Acer. Updating Windows to Pro, for example, can “break” some Acer programs like Sense and such. I seriously doubt it is the root of your problem, but just something to be aware of.