NG-G9-793-71TW My computer sent to acer care two times - was not fixed. Now out of warranty. Advice?

Isatche
Isatche Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,
I have problem with hard disk sometimes taking up to 5 seconds to respond. There is a faint blue shadow on the left side of the screen AND lately after it's been returned from care center - a loud buzzing noise when it heats up. It is very frustrating, so I'll try not to rant.

I sent my computer first time for the hard disk issue and when returned after almost a month the problem was there.
Second time, I sent it for the screen and hard disk issue, this time it took more than a month to get it back.
Acer Care team told me they changed the motherboard but they didn't mention the screen at all. I was extremely disappointed when I realized that there was no change what so ever. At all. Like it's been waiting on a shelf for a month and then returned to me. Screen bluish on one side and hard disk lagging.
I gave up, I said to myself that I'll have to get use to the faulty screen and hard disk lag (it stings because I paid a lot of money for it).
Then it started buzzing! I can't just ignore it because it gets loud and there is no more warranty. Not that it was useful while I had it to be honest.

Any advice on what can I do?
Thank you.

Answers

• Isatche 
    I'm sorry that you're having issues with your laptop. Unfortunately Acer community is not a direct portal to Customer service, Acer employees may read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer moderators may interact with members when appropriate. (case by case basis).

But primarily the community is a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc. The Acer community is not design for direct customer support consultation, or complaints. 

Please send a private message to Acer-Manny with the serial number of your device so that the concerned team can check the case notes and help you address your concerns. https://community.acer.com/en/messages/add/Acer-Manny 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Isatche
    Thank you for your answer!
    I was actually asking for advice what do to if customer service fails to repair my laptop and then my warranty ends.

The complaint part was there to provide more details if it helps to get an answer.
    I tried talking to customer service, but it feels like talking to a wall.

I will try to contact Acer-Manny and see if it helps.
    Thank you again.
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited September 2018
    Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Skim through this thread. If the noise problem sounds the same, the only known fix is a motherboard replacement. 
  • Isatche
    edited September 2018
    Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Skim through this thread. If the noise problem sounds the same, the only known fix is a motherboard replacement. 
    That's the one. Right speaker as well.
    I think the noise started AFTER they changed the motherboard, but I'm out of warranty now which is the biggest problem.
    Is there anything I can do if they didn't fix it twice while in warranty, then I run out of warranty? I mean, what good is the warranty if they don't fix it and I end up with faulty computer?
  • Shayd
    Shayd Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Did you keep all of the warranty paperwork? When was the last time it went in for warranty, and when did the warranty expire? My brother had a similar experience with his HP laptop, and because the last warranty service was within 3 months(I think?) of the expiry date with the issue persisting, they gave him a replacement for free. Always keep paperwork. Hopefully someone will sort you out. As for the buzzing, you can try installing the Realtek driver from the Acer driver download page for your model, however, with the motherboard being replaced, it may not fix it. You may need to search and download the driver elsewhere, or uninstall it and let Windows update reinstall. Hope this helps.
  • Isatche
    Shayd said:
    Did you keep all of the warranty paperwork? When was the last time it went in for warranty, and when did the warranty expire? My brother had a similar experience with his HP laptop, and because the last warranty service was within 3 months(I think?) of the expiry date with the issue persisting, they gave him a replacement for free. Always keep paperwork. Hopefully someone will sort you out. As for the buzzing, you can try installing the Realtek driver from the Acer driver download page for your model, however, with the motherboard being replaced, it may not fix it. You may need to search and download the driver elsewhere, or uninstall it and let Windows update reinstall. Hope this helps.
    I think it's past 3 months. I didn't know of that rule, I just kinda gave up when they returned it to me last time with no changes what so ever. I have to mention that each time I sent it for warranty, they kept my machine for about a month! I work on this computer, so servicing it for that long is not something I can do often :/
  • Shayd
    Are you able to perform a factory reset? This would rule out any software/driver issues that could have caused it, especially with a new motherboard replacement. Sometimes updating the audio drivers can cause buzzing or muffled sound in the speakers. The Intel integrated GPU is what would drive the laptop display, while the Nvidia GPU would for an external monitor. You can try installing your stock Realtek and Intel VGA drivers, just incase. I would first message Acer Manny as suggested above, and see if he can do something for you. If he can't help, you absolutely can't get a replacement, and it's not a software issue, I will post a few links(none of which I own) for disassembly of the laptop incase you want to replace the screen and speaker yourself. Check the wiring to make sure all connections are in properly and that wires aren't twisted and pinched, especially around the screen bezel and hinges.

Driver downloads: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6965?b=1&pn=NH.Q1AEG.002

Ifixit disassembly: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Acer+Predator+17.3-Inch+Repairability+Assessment/79132

Video teardown for bottom case access: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrMB8z40yuU

Awkward screen replacement videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZpwfXK5Rw4
                                                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xZo06Gbzsc
                                                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqxMUcvrCE

Hope you get this sorted out soon.
  • Isatche
    Thank you for your reply. I tried contacting Acer Manny. He was super polite, but unable to help with my issue.
    I am not nearly as technical as these guys and would not dare to do it myself. I will go to service, ask the price of motherboard and screen and calculate should I buy new laptop or try to fix this one. Acer is the first computer I am ready to give up on. It's just one disappointment after the other.
  • Shayd
    That's very unfortunate. Hopefully your situation will reach some higher ups and you can get it sorted with an extended warranty or something. If not, hopefully you won't have to spend a lot to get it fixed. Wishing you luck.
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I don’t know how long ago you had the motherboard replaced, but there is a very good chance it was defective from the start. Too many of us in the other thread had this issue not to consider there was a bad run of mobos. When you speak to support, mention this fact and maybe they will extend your warranty to cover this. You can direct them to our thread, which clearly shows the motherboard issue wasn’t just a one off. 

Good luck and let us know what happens.