G9 793 DVD Adapter in a G5 793 computer- is it as simple as just putting in the 55.Q04N5.001?

Altair1972m
Altair1972m Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Forgive the ADHD, OCD, TMI:

Question here is about the DVD.  My dad and I removed the bay door without damaging the machine, and my brother in law provided a cannibalized SATA DVD drive.  I inserted the drive into the bay and it doesn't reach to the SATA connector.  Assuming I buy the connector that is advertised on ebay for the G9, the 55.Q04N5.001, will that function in the G5 and do I have to do anything else to make the DVD work?

Background: This is my third Acer.  I got my kid a Nitro and had 2 regrets.  1) the keyboard is a mess.  The Delete Key is where the Insert Key is supposed to be, and the Home Key is where the Delete is supposed to be, so everytime I go to delete something while typing on her machine I end up at the beginning of the line.  2) The computer appears in advertising as if it has twin cooling fans but it only has 1 fan and one rear vent. 

My original Acer was an Aspire 7750 which in order to utilize the second drive bay Acer soaked all it's buyer for an additional $60-$120 just for the drive bay door, and the E3000 on board graphics conflicted with the Radeon 7670.  2 years into owning it Catalyst did an upgrade and because of the upgrade the switchable video graphics didn't work right from 2012 to 2018 until I discovered an Acer enthusiast wrote a fix.  The computer refused to roll back.  I'm telling you all that because even after all that I bought another two machines...so you can imagine what I'm willing to put up with on a computer.   I bought the Predator because the Aspire I closed the lid on a pen and now 20% of the screen is white.

So I bought an Acer Predator G5 793-79GS.

I bought it because of the major manufacturers (and I'm posting this because it will answer some of the general questions I had over the 18 months I searched)
*Acer Nitro, Predator Helios, and Predator
*Asus Rog Strix, FX73VE, GL703, GL752
*HP Omen
*MSI GL62, GL72, GL73
*Lenovo Y520,Y620, Y720, Y920
*Dell Insipiron 3000, 5000, 7000, Alienware 
*CyberpowerPC Fangbook, Tracer
*And the Chimera which is the generic for Xidax, Ibuypower, Prostar, Clevo, Eluktronics

I wanted

nVidia 960 to 1060 equivalent card with 4GB video
*17"
*Costing less than $1200
*Twin Cooling Fans
*Keyboard where the Delete Key is above backspace and the home up dn and end were above the keypad
*DVD internal

and if possible

*Arrow Keys don't impact the zero key on the keypad
*Color changing keyboard

and the only computers with everything I had to have was the the Cyberpower Fangbook (which I ordered and when they didn't have the SSD I wanted it Paypal rescinded my authorization and during that period they stopped making the thing), the Omen 17 W295-xx (red backlit keyboard), and the Predator 17.

The Alienware has everything but the DVD.  The Asus Rog (at least the FX73VE) had the DVD but I didn't like the keyboard positioning of the Home Up Down.  I didn't trust the cooling on the Inspirons, and as I recall no 17".  The MSI's had odd keyboards and sometimes 1050Ti 2GB.  Same for the Lenovos.   

I set a wow price for a 1050 Clevo, a 1060 Clevo, and the Predator.  Newegg had a sale on the Predator and I bought it.

Acer Predator Web People, if you are reading this, you should put on the main Predator page that the G5 series does not have a color changing keyboard.  I am not returning it over that.  You should also put somewhere obvious (because all it says is no DVD, but you can see the DVD bay block from any picture of that side) that you cannot install a DVD in it without the DVD adapter on the one end, and opening up the machine's housing to remove the bay door screws.

Then I had 3 days of problems trying to clone the drive to the Samsung Evo 970 I bought from NewEgg with the machine.   If you have a problem, make Window's 10 update itself, and then you should be able to write a recovery drive.

Then with all of that finished I set out trying to solve the problem of the DVD.   Youtube has a G9 teardown video which I mistook for the G5.  The G5 comes with the empty drive bay, but it does not come with the ejection lever.   In order to remove the bay door I had to remove the bottom panel.   I was told by the rep from Predator at Level 2 Tech inquiry that to I would not void the warranty if I removed the bottom panel without scratching it.   He said I should take off the panel and see what is in there before I did anything.  The bottom panel was extremely easy to remove.  Normally after you remove the screws on the bottom of a machine you need a guitar pick or a took to separate out those little hook things.   The panel pretty much separated itself...zero force necessary.   3 screws had to come out once the panel was off to get the drive door out (they didn't want anything going in that modular bay).   And of course now we could see thatinside the machine is the miniature SATA connector (which explains why the bios shows HDD0, 1, and 2).

I put the DVD drive in and it does not reach to the port.  The online teardown for the G9 also shows a part that is sold on ebay 

55.Q04N5.001

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Acer-Predator-G9-791-G9-792-G9-793-DVD-Disk-Drive-SATA-Connector-Board/202350383009?epid=21020375504&hash=item2f1d05cfa1:g:xCgAAOSwq4VbMI5H:sc:USPSFirstClass!08701!US!-1

Do I need anything else to make this DVD work?

To anyone thinking of buying this machine...if you don't need to set your keyboard colors, buy it.  If you need a DVD, pay attention to the model number. 

It as the most comfortable keyboard I've ever had my hands on.  The buttons make sense.  They are a good size whether you have small hands or big hands.  The arrow keys don't mess with the keypad.  The rubber feet under it provide much better support and elevation that the Aspire...they learn and they adapt.  The old Aspire needed a cooler, and it was the coolest temperature laptop (4 of mine, 6 of friends) I had on my lap up until that point.  When running Facebook, Star Trek Online, Marvel Heros, and League of Legends the old machine was way too hot to run, with the cooler, if the room temperature was above 75 degrees it would be come hot enough to raise the ambient temperature.  The Nitro only feels hot near the vent and that's 1 fan.  The Predator has not heated up yet on any of those games (though Marvel shut down).  I can run Star Trek Online and Facebook at the same time without noticing the heat.  I've never seen a laptop that could do that without extra cooling.  The Predator fans can reverse direction to flush dust.  The 1060 blows away most of the competition, except maybe the Clevo generic.

Also I would speculate that if you had a mini SATA to full size SATA adapter, you could hypothetically put another hard drive in the drive bay.  Also I've seen SATA DVD bay adaptions that contain a SATA Drive instead of a DVD so you could conceivably put another SATA HDD or SATA SSD in there.  They have one at Walmart costing $10.  I'm going to give it a try if the adapter works...after someone tells me, yeah just get the adapter.

Answers

• Altair1972m
    Altair1972m Member Posts: 2 New User
    I swear I speak better English than I just typed to yall...sorry about the typos.
  • MJRaddish
    MJRaddish Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey I have the Acer Predator 17 G5-793-79SG with a dummy optical disk drive and I was looking for someone who knows how to install a DVD. I would like to know if you have successfully installed a DVD into the G5 model.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    @Altair1972m technically with the adapter should work this if the port is active (with a bit of luck it is) if you already opened it why not try to connect an hdd into that port to test if its active and if the bios recognizes it or if u have in hand sata male to female cable would be even easier to test it

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/