Helios 300 Laptop charge switches on and off. Laptop turns off after 30 minutes without charger?

eminem2ka9
eminem2ka9 Member Posts: 68 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
as the title says. The charger will turn off and on, along with the beeping. Another issue is the laptop will turn off after 30-45 minutes without the charger, as if the battery just gave up. Difficult to know whether its the charger or the battery itself. I did disassemble the laptop few months ago to apply thermal paste, and the laptop began to turn off without the charger. I ignored it and hoped it would go, it didn't. Just as of recently the charging issue occurred.

When i disassembled it, i did disconnect the battery and put it back in when i was done as instructed. I'm fairly sure i put the battery connector back in again properly. Here is a video of the 'blinking': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGK4lr7ss_A

laptop model: g3-571-77qk

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Before buying a new one, it's always good to be sure! That's why I asked to test without the battery! If the notebook has problems with the disconnected battery, then the problem is either in the DC-IN cable or the adapter! But do not buy something that you are not sure is working perfectly!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Good! So this proved that the battery is not the problem! I recommend that you repair the notebook under warranty!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Glad you could solve the problem, my friend! I think the old power adapter wire should be broken inside and so it presented the problem! Click promote or enjoy and put the topic as solved!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

Answers

• You can check if the power adapter is giving off AC current (which would show a faulty insulator in the brick itself)

Are you getting shocked by your laptop?
    Is your outlet grounded?

If your adapter starts making noises stop using it immediately and send it in for repair via warranty.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    as the title says. The charger will turn off and on, along with the beeping. Another issue is the laptop will turn off after 30-45 minutes without the charger, as if the battery just gave up. Difficult to know whether its the charger or the battery itself. I did disassemble the laptop few months ago to apply thermal paste, and the laptop began to turn off without the charger. I ignored it and hoped it would go, it didn't. Just as of recently the charging issue occurred.

When i disassembled it, i did disconnect the battery and put it back in when i was done as instructed. I'm fairly sure i put the battery connector back in again properly. Here is a video of the 'blinking': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGK4lr7ss_A

laptop model: g3-571-77qk
    The red light blinking i can understand for charger, but the blue one is for motherboard that turns up when laptop turns on. That blinking seems more like some fault, mostly at device level. Try getting it repaired via warranty.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • eminem2ka9
    edited September 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    You can check if the power adapter is giving off AC current (which would show a faulty insulator in the brick itself)

Are you getting shocked by your laptop?
    Is your outlet grounded?

If your adapter starts making noises stop using it immediately and send it in for repair via warranty.
    Not sure about your first comment, however i put my ear up to my power brick while its connected to the laptop, and i hear a low electrical buzzing which sounds normal. However once the orange light(charge) blinks once off and on rapidly, i hear an odd noise, like a radio changing channel, just an electrical-type noise that lasts about 1.5 seconds and stops once the orange light comes back on. Is this the AC current you are referring to?

sri369 said:
    The red light blinking i can understand for charger, but the blue one is for motherboard that turns up when laptop turns on. That blinking seems more like some fault, mostly at device level. Try getting it repaired via warranty.
    The blue one doesn't typically blink, that was a once off and just recorded in case. I disassembled the laptop again today and put the battery wire out and in and cleaned the dust a bit, and now i can take the charger out and it doesn't turn off(let's hope i don't jinx it). I'd hate to get a warranty because i had the option of insurance when i bought it, but i wasn't able to buy it because i don't reside in America. Also not happy about a warranty, if i am even able to get one. Having to send it overseas and be without it for so long, after spending so much money, 1,500 euro which includes the shipping and sales tax.
  • If you still hang up randomly, it may be that the interlock button is not being pressed properly and this is especially true when the notebook is opened!
    Make sure this button is being pressed correctly:

Then put a layer of insulation tape in that compartment to press it:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    If you still hang up randomly, it may be that the interlock button is not being pressed properly and this is especially true when the notebook is opened!
    Make sure this button is being pressed correctly:
    the laptop works good now without this method, however it was already working fine so i did your method just to be certain. Now it is only the charger that is the problem. I could have it plugged in, and move the laptop about, it doesn't have to be in any specific position, but the orange light would off and then on again which indicates an interruption in power. I can use the laptop fine without a charger, until i need it.

i do notice the charger is a little bit loose in the port, but only a noticable amount. i don't know if it was like this before, but i could twist the top of the charger that connects to the laptop in 360 degree angle, and it would be fine. but if i were to lift the laptop up and just move the laptop in various angles with the charger still in it, the orange light will blink(charge interrupted).

i looked at the pin in the laptop and felt it with my finger, and it seems solid, not moving. could the tip of the charger be the issue? could the twisting of the end of the charger after these 7 months caused surface erosion to the pin inside the laptop? thanks for your answers.
  • When you unmounted the notebook, did you put the dc-in in the correct position? He may have moved at the time of assembly! Have you tested with another loaded?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• When connecting the adapter to the dc-in port, if the port is properly installed, you should feel and make light pressure so that the adapter is properly connected! Does this happen on your notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    When you unmounted the notebook, did you put the dc-in in the correct position? He may have moved at the time of assembly! Have you tested with another loaded?

I didn't build the laptop, so whether its in the wrong position or not i don't know. I opened the laptop and had a look at the area you showed. The box where to dc goes in to did seem a bit shaky, whether or not that has anything to do with it i don't know. The power wire that connects to the motherboard also looks fine. I placed rubber squares on top of this box so the laptop frame can help keep the box solid yet incase of the charger moving around, but the charging interruption continues if you mess with the connection from outside. If you charging is interrupted or halted for long enough, the orange and blue lights will blink rapidly and i'll have to reattach the charger again to get it going. I attached photos to this post if you want to take a look. 

When connecting the adapter to the dc-in port, if the port is properly installed, you should feel and make light pressure so that the adapter is properly connected! Does this happen on your notebook?
    it seems like it is properly connected, see images below. and again thanks for your answers! i hope to get to the bottom of this and hope it's nothing serious.

• It would be good for you to test the power adapter with the disconnected battery from the motherboard and check if the problem persists when you move the notebook, which in this case would cause the notebook to shut down!
    Make sure the notebook turns on with the battery disconnected from the motherboard and the LEDs blink!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    edited September 2018
    It would be good for you to test the power adapter with the disconnected battery from the motherboard and check if the problem persists when you move the notebook, which in this case would cause the notebook to shut down!
    Make sure the notebook turns on with the battery disconnected from the motherboard and the LEDs blink!
    i've closed the laptop back up so i'll try tomorrow. i really don't like opening the laptop up as often in case i ***** anything up. but if i were to guess i would think the laptop would turn off without the battery, had it relied on just the charger, it would immediately switch off. I have uploaded a video for you to give you an idea of the situation. Watch the orange light. Right after this blinking, if i put the charger back in it would be back to normal (until i screwed with the wire again). It may look like its withstanding the moving somewhat, but even having it on my lap and just minding my own business can cause the charge to go absolutely haywire.

also listen to that noise, i hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OF2puQUZwI
  • How do you test with another power adapter to see if the problem is in the adapter?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• It is much better you test before with another power adapter so that you do not have to open the notebook!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    It is much better you test before with another power adapter so that you do not have to open the notebook!
    i'll have to get a hold of another charger, this the only one i got. checked the house and they are old and the laptop isn't even recognizing them. do you suspect it is the charger that is the problem? i can always order a new one, they are very pricey and a long way away.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Before buying a new one, it's always good to be sure! That's why I asked to test without the battery! If the notebook has problems with the disconnected battery, then the problem is either in the DC-IN cable or the adapter! But do not buy something that you are not sure is working perfectly!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    i tested without the battery, and sure enough it turned off. i notice the laptop will turn off especially if it makes that "noise" you heard in the above video, like the charger scraping off of the pin. that's a pity. whether or not i should get a new DC adapter as you say(the one inside the laptop) or a charger is a tricky one. i'd probably have to give this thing up for warranty. thanks for your help, again.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Good! So this proved that the battery is not the problem! I recommend that you repair the notebook under warranty!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    edited September 2018
    I decided to buy a DC jack specific to my model, i'll fit it myself i'll get back here with the result(in about 2 weeks). so if that doesn't work then it's guaranteed to be the charger. I couldn't get a warranty given the laptop was bought and imported in to Europe so i'm not covered here, and the acer center in great britain wouldn't give me a price so i won't chance them. In fact they'd do exactly what i am doing, except take longer and charge more.
  • OK my friend! I hope you can solve your problem by replacing the dc-in cable! However make sure you have purchased the correct model as there are two versions of this cable according to the service guide!
    If your model has a 1050ti, you should buy the 135w dc-in cable! If your model has a 1060, you should buy the dc-in cable from 180w!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• eminem2ka9
    edited September 2018
    OK my friend! I hope you can solve your problem by replacing the dc-in cable! However make sure you have purchased the correct model as there are two versions of this cable according to the service guide!
    If your model has a 1050ti, you should buy the 135w dc-in cable! If your model has a 1060, you should buy the dc-in cable from 180w!

Yeah i got the 180W DC-IN one, which was correct but low and behold, didn't work. I did notice the new pin was bent a little downward, and so just a little bit more effort to put the charger in, which i hope isn't a problem.

So now i know i have to shell out probably upwards of 80-90 euro for a new charger, holy ***** that's expensive. No idea how this charger failed me. I noticed last night that when i slowly inserted the plug that goes in to the brick, the charge came on. Other times it didn't work, and just playing with the side that goes in to the laptop worked instead. Weirdest situation ever. Let's hope the new charger works.
  • Ideally you test with an identical power adapter before you buy to make sure that the problem is on the power adapter!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer