Acer Swift 3 - SF314-51 Network Adapter Not Found

RobertC
RobertC Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I updated my Windows 10 today and then I couldn't connect to the internet. Troubleshooting pinpointed the problem to not being able to find a properly installed network adapter. 

Going to device manager, the actual adapter wasn't listed, eventually realised it was a "hidden device". Once revealed, it had the error "Code 45" i.e. the adapter wasn't connected to the port.

Did the usual googling so I did a bunch of things to fix the problem:

- updating the driver through device manager doesn't work because no internet access
-downloading the latest drivers from acer and manually transferring them to the laptop and using the "setup" program within didn't work
-Searching manually through device manager and selecting the drivers as the correct files also did not work
-doing a network reset did not work 
-Reverting to the previous build of Windows 10 did not solve the problem
-uninstalling the device and restarting the computer to try and force the laptop to find the device has now left me with the device no longer listed, even after installing the driver again manually
-Resetting my laptop completely (therefore losing all apps, but keeping all files) has now left me with a useless laptop which cannot access the internet to reinstall all of my apps

I am now at a loss for what to do. The laptop was purchased just under a year ago and is only ever used for work, in work, and everything was running smoothly until the latest Windows 10 update (which I had been ignoring and now I wish I continued to ignore)... luckily I have a home laptop to try and solve the problem! 

Any help with this would be so greatly appreciated!!

Thanks. 

EDIT: wrong code number

Answers

• RobertC
    RobertC Member Posts: 2 New User
    Ok so now I feel silly now. After posting this, I took the laptop out to have another go at it. The screen wouldn't light up, so I forced shut down using the power button. When I turned it back on, the wifi signal icon appeared about 20 seconds later. 

I can't say how many times I restarted the laptop, how many network resets and then resetting the whole thing. In the end forcing shut down worked? 

Thanks anyway for anyone who might have helped. I'll leave this here for anyone who might also have this issue, maybe this is a solution. Or, if anyone has any tips if it happens again?
  • Benedikt98
    Benedikt98 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello RobertC! I'm having the exact same problem with my laptop. First I would recommend that you go to device manager-network adapter-properties-power management-uncheck "allow windows to stop this device to save power". That worked for me for a while but it started again. Now I just force restart it by holding the power button and it turns on (sometimes). Hope this helps a bit. 
  • sashasawchai
    sashasawchai Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same problem after update to Windows 10, version 1809 x64 2019-06OOB. 

Because I ended up doing several different things at once, I don't honestly know which of the following fixed it... but one of them did:

- Force reboot by holding down the power button
    - Remove the Microsoft "Virtual" Wifi drivers in Device manager (I tend to strongly suspect this was the real breakthrough, but can't be sure)
    - Reinstall Atheros network drivers downloade from Acer site (This was *not* sufficient on it's own, but may have helped in addition to one of the above)

Anyhow, after doing all of the above networking magically returned so that's a relief. Good luck!