Insect in XB271HU

DancePop
DancePop Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives
Hi Acer Forum,

I have contacted the Customer Support and they seem to be quite good at dodging questions so i'm here as a last resort.

So 2 days ago, i noticed a blackspot in the middle of my screen. My first thought to this was - dead pixels.  A logical conclusion considering the price of this monitor (1100 SGD) and it being one of the mid-high tier models, anyone would expect proper quality control to be in place to prevent ANYTHING on the screen other than dead pixels. 

So now i have a blackspot right smack in the middle of my screen. As i looked closer using a magnifying glass and asked family members to check it out, we all realize that it was a bug/insect. This thing actually managed to crawl right smack into the middle of the screen. The purpose of the screen being to display information and that main purpose is now being blocked by an insect. I contacted Customer Support and expected this to be an easy case of swap via Warranty Coverage although i still have no idea how can this even happen.

Customer Support replied back was very clear in that "infestations" are not covered by Warranty at all and i would have to pay for the repair service even though I'm still under Warranty for this monitor. I absolutely did not realize that i was supposed to be in-charge of making sure this screen is sealed on the edges. Is this covered in the manual? The salesperson definitely did not tell me about this additional responsibility.

My room is cleaned everyday and as far as i know there are no bug infestations nor dust in room, my workstation or my musical instruments.

Now the main questions are:

1. Does Acer really expect me be responsible for making sure the screen edges are airtight and that no insects can crawl in? Not forgetting that this monitor costs $1100 SGD when i bought it and there are tons of monitors are 1/4 fraction of this price and none of my friends have this problem.

2. Maybe i'm uninformed and this is some sort of norm, am i really expected to be paying for this service charge WHILE under warranty coverage?

3. How do i prevent this from ever occurring again or am i out of luck since Acer monitors just lacks quality control? 

Thanks

Edit: Rephrased.

Answers

• DancePop 
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the new monitor, just to clarify, the Acer Forum Discussions were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users. This community is not a direct portal to Customer service, although you will notice that some Acer employees interact with members here.

Please send a private message to Acer-Manny with the serial number of your device so that they can check the case notes and help you address your concerns.
    https://community.acer.com/en/messages/add/Acer-Manny 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • DancePop
    Hi Sharanji,

Thank you for your reply. I had no idea this is a peer to peer support community. I will contact manny and I hope i can at least replace the whole monitor since theres clearly a defect that allow foreign living things to enter it.

• DancePop
    Update on this post for future buyers of the XB271hu or any one googling to look for monitors:

An Acer technician came over at 10am 15 Sept. He told me that he would have to check if its possible to replace the entire screen or to dismantle it and remove the insect. Again he says that warranty does not cover this insect infestation. Replacing the entire screen as told to me by another staff on the phone costs about half the price of the entire monitor. So because of an ant i have to now pay $500 without the assurance that this would not happen again. And there was no way that acer could prevent this from ever happening. 

Blows my mind how ridiculous this company is with its support and product.
  • Nokturnal
    Nokturnal Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    wow... Ive seen a ton of dust/debris on the screen with panels I've returned but this takes the cake.