image

SSD Upgrade on ACER G3-571-77QK

orionravorionrav Member Posts: 5 New User
Hi, I have a ACER G3-571-77QK with 512 GB SSD and 2x8 GB RAM. I wanted to upgrade the storage with an additional 2TB SSD. But it looks like there is already a drive in the space provided for the SSD with the caddy and all. I understand that this model comes with 256 GB SSD. I want to know if I can still upgrade it or the extra 256 GB is from the drive which is already present in the slot? I still see only a single partition with 512 GB on my computer.

FAQ & Answers

  • Interesting.

    So you have a 256gb m.2 SSD and a 256gb 2.5" SSD installed currently?
    - Hotel Hero
  • orionravorionrav Member Posts: 5 New User
    That is the thing...When I bought it, it showed the specification to be 512GB SSD. Moreover, as I mentioned, I think if there is an additional SSD, won't there be two different drives? I have only a single drive with 476 GB and when I opened the back cover, there was a 2.5" inch drive in it and when I checked the boot options, there was no additional SSD listed, just one drive with 512 GB. Could it be a dummy drive just to show how to connect the external drive? I don't know how I can be sure and I dont want to mess around with it....
  • Red-SandRed-Sand ACE Posts: 1,861 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    As long as you power off your laptop and keep it unplugged you can easily take the drive out to look at it without any negative effects.

    Simply pull the cables connection straight out. Do NOT pull by the wire though!
    - Hotel Hero
  • Jack22Jack22 ACE Posts: 2,934 Pathfinder
    Hi,

    Storage Subsystem 
    • SATA HDD  Storage 1 : M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay) 
     Storage 2 : 9.5mm/7mm co-lay (Support HDD Door) 
    • SD Card 
     Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, Mini SD™, Micro SD™, SDXC™, SDHC 
    • Specification: SD 3.0 (Maximum support capacity up to 2GB)

    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • sri369sri369 ACE Posts: 2,433 Pathfinder
    orionrav said:
    That is the thing...When I bought it, it showed the specification to be 512GB SSD. Moreover, as I mentioned, I think if there is an additional SSD, won't there be two different drives? I have only a single drive with 476 GB and when I opened the back cover, there was a 2.5" inch drive in it and when I checked the boot options, there was no additional SSD listed, just one drive with 512 GB. Could it be a dummy drive just to show how to connect the external drive? I don't know how I can be sure and I dont want to mess around with it....
    Are you confusing the empty caddy in place as a drive?
    Bring up your device manager, and check under storage drives to determine what you have installed on your laptop.


    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    I am not an Acer employee.
    Your issue could get better coverage and more answers if posted in forums than in a message to me.

    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • orionravorionrav Member Posts: 5 New User
    I dont think I am mistaken about that. I opened the back cover, I've seen in videos and guides that it is usually empty. In my case it was not and the drive was also connected to the system. Also, there is only one drive in the device manager. I've attached a screenshot here of the device manager window, please have a look
  • brummyfan2brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 21,299 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    orionrav said:
    I dont think I am mistaken about that. I opened the back cover, I've seen in videos and guides that it is usually empty. In my case it was not and the drive was also connected to the system. Also, there is only one drive in the device manager. I've attached a screenshot here of the device manager window, please have a look
    Hi,
    You have a 2.5" Intel SSD in HDD bay, your M.2 slot must be empty, you can upgrade the Intel SSD to a 1TB(recommended) but I have seen others upgrading above the recommended size, so I would suggest you to upgrade to a 2TB drive at your own risk.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-1358652-SSDSC2KW512G8X1-545S-Internal/dp/B074DBMKM3
  • orionravorionrav Member Posts: 5 New User
    The size of the upgrade is not the problem. My M2 slot is not empty.
  • This is strange indeed!
    Maybe to just ease your mind even if their was no drive installed and you tried to turn on your machine it would simply state "no bootable drive" with no ill effects.

    Best bet at this point is to see which one is being registered as active, the 2.5" or the m.2 by removing one or the other.

    You should be able to search the Parent ID in device manager for the drive thats showing and google it to see what sort of drive it is.
    - Hotel Hero
  • orionravorionrav Member Posts: 5 New User
    I'll try removing the device in the M2 slot and see what happens, has anyone heard of a dummy drive in the slot? Moreover, now that I check, the 512 GB version of the ACER Helios 300 is not available anymore (only 256 GB ). I got this from amazon, do you think perhaps they have added the extra 256GB? But only one drive is showing up. I'll check what happens after I remove the device in my M2 slot and update this.
  • Red-SandRed-Sand ACE Posts: 1,861 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    orionrav said:
    I'll try removing the device in the M2 slot and see what happens, has anyone heard of a dummy drive in the slot? Moreover, now that I check, the 512 GB version of the ACER Helios 300 is not available anymore (only 256 GB ). I got this from amazon, do you think perhaps they have added the extra 256GB? But only one drive is showing up. I'll check what happens after I remove the device in my M2 slot and update this.

    Not sure!
    I have not heard of a dummy drive yet..

    If only one drive is showing up and the 2.5" bay is occupied I would assume there's no m.2 slot!

    It also might be easier to remove the 2.5" drive then the m.2 due to access doors.
    - Hotel Hero
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online958

angomy
angomy
Baldheaded48
Baldheaded48
batmalin
batmalin
billsey
billsey
Black_WindowsBA
Black_WindowsBA
CT53
CT53
drale
drale
Erosvatis
Erosvatis
GOATFLESH
GOATFLESH
gundsdadada
gundsdadada
JackE
JackE
jbrix42
jbrix42
Kobredabre
Kobredabre
LeonardoBSL
LeonardoBSL
lucausa75
lucausa75
MajinOne
MajinOne
PedroRenanOliveira
PedroRenanOliveira
Roro1
Roro1
RussianEscort
RussianEscort
xapim
xapim
+938 Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Assistance by Acer


Drivers &
Manuals

Acer
Answers

Get Product Information
( only)

Acer Support
Videos