acer nitro 5 - USB Type C 3.1 port not working

ChaseHelmey
ChaseHelmey Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi Guys,

I need help. I recently bought an acer nitro 5 an515-51 7112, i wanted to connect my Samsung S9+ via the usb type c 3.1 but nothing happened, no prompt and no charging, i thought it was my cable or phone but when i tried (with samsung otg convertor) on the usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 the phone and cable was fine, my laptop was charging my phone.

Is my usb type c 3.1 port faulty?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    No. your nitro is a type C gen1 port, not a type C gen 2. 3.1 Gen 1 is fundamentally the same as a USB 3 port except for its form factor. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChaseHelmey

Tinkerer

@jackEJackE said:
    No. your nitro is a type C gen1 port, not a type C gen 2. 3.1 Gen 1 is fundamentally the same as a USB 3 port except for its form factor. Jack E/NJ
    Hi jackE,

Thanks for the advice.

Like to further clarify on what can it do then? Just read usb thumbdrive?
  • JackE
    Type C gen 1 port can do no more electronically than a regular type A 3 port is capable of. The only difference between the two is the physical shape of the ports and the plugs that go into them. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChaseHelmey

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Type C gen 1 port can do no more electronically than a regular type A 3 port is capable of. The only difference between the two is the physical shape of the ports and the plugs that go into them. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you jackE.
  • saurabhd
    saurabhd Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    hi man is i bought a usb c to hdmi connector and it doesnt seem to be working is there any way possible i need to connect a second external display to my laptop i already have one monitor connected in the hdmi port when ever i plug in the adapter it says display connection might be limited
  • RedzwiTer
    RedzwiTer Member Posts: 1 New User
    hi, i have de same probleme do you have find solution please ? 
  • JackE
    RedzwiTer What is your full model number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EggYolk
    EggYolk Member Posts: 2 New User
    Simple solution is to get a USB 3.0 to (whatever port your monitor uses) adapter. I got myself one for 8 dollars and downloaded the drivers and it works fine with my 3rd monitor :)