Acer Swift 3 Not booting...

Options
Mabaet
Mabaet Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, when I power my Swift 3(SF314-51-52W2), it doesn't turn on but I do get a blue light indicating power. It is not a display problem because the keyboard is not lighting too which it should when powering it.

When it has power indicated by the blue light on the side, it can only be turned off by inserting pin in pin hole for around 5 seconds. Holding the power button down for a while does not work.

There were times it would continue booting but rarely. I try to power it and if it does not continue, I will pin hole reset, then repeat until I luckily make it boot. Now it does not work anymore.

I tried holding pin hole for ~40s but it does not help. The laptop has charge.

BIOS is at latest version(v1.11). Some told me that it could be a BIOS problem.

I have not opened the laptop shell. This is also the first Swift 3 back in late 2016.

Please help me, this has been like this for 2  weeks and I badly need to use it.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Go to BIOS settings, press F9 to set to Default settings, press F10 to save and exit, hope that fixes the problem.

• Mabaet

Tinkerer

edited September 2018
    Options
    No, I don't get a display as well. I only get power indicator at side but there's no display. It does not go to any screen, it is completely black with no backlit. I know this is not a display problem because the keyboard does not light like I said when it should the second I press the power button to turn it on. When I get lucky, it boots normally with display and keyboard light, but it does not anymore unfortunately.
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hi,

First try power drain 

power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin 
    hole and press and hold it for 30 sec. Than try BIOS default .It might work

BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the u nit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS 
    page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Mabaet

Tinkerer

Options
    Jack22 said:
    Hi,

First try power drain 

power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin 
    hole and press and hold it for 30 sec. Than try BIOS default .It might work

BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the u nit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS 
    page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

I hope you read my post because I did the power drain and the BIOS is not accessible. Also, I did not touch the BIOS screen or entered it ever since I got the laptop, that I am sure so essentially it is still in its default settings. Maybe the update could have affected it though.

Has blue light indicating power but no display. But like I said, the display has no hardware issue because there were times I would get lucky and it would boot and show display.

See image: https://imgur.com/a/tBRZMRk
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Did you check if the image appears on an external monitor?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mabaet

Tinkerer

edited September 2018
    Options
    Did you check if the image appears on an external monitor?
    Yes, just now. I tried it before too. It does not show anything as well. It is not a display/monitor problem. Help please.

See image: https://imgur.com/a/dedqKAQ
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Right!
    First make the reset in the correct way: turn off the notebook completely until the blue light turns off and disconnect it from the electrical power; turn the notebook on and insert a clip on the battery reset button for five seconds and let the notebook rest for five minutes! Turn on the notebook and test!
    It seems to me that there really is a bios fix for a similar problem! However it is a risky process! As your notebook is not showing up, maybe the update process needs to be done in recovery crisis mode! Do you hear the cooler working and hd working when you turn on the notebook?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mabaet

Tinkerer

edited September 2018
    Options
    Right!
    First make the reset in the correct way: turn off the notebook completely until the blue light turns off and disconnect it from the electrical power; turn the notebook on and insert a clip on the battery reset button for five seconds and let the notebook rest for five minutes! Turn on the notebook and test!
    It seems to me that there really is a bios fix for a similar problem! However it is a risky process! As your notebook is not showing up, maybe the update process needs to be done in recovery crisis mode! Do you hear the cooler working and hd working when you turn on the notebook?
    I followed your step but I disconnected the power/charger first before turning it off as it cannot be turned off while plugged. Also, I turned it off by using the pin hole as it was the only way(Cannot turn off power by holding the power button for a while when it should.).

Here's what I did exactly:
    1. Unplug power
    2. Kill power by pinhole(5 seconds)
    3. Turn on with blue light indicator
    4. Kill power by pinhole(5 seconds)
    5. Wait five minutes.
    6. Turn on again... still nothing.

I would like to know the risky process and the recovery crisis mode. I am very careful with delicate steps and have prior knowledge with tinkering.

I do NOT hear the fan spinning even the slightest. I had my ear as close as possible to where the fan should be behind the shell. 

No sound from the drive because it is an SSD I think.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Before attempting the recovery crisis, it is possible that the notebook is not turning on because of the power switch! I thought the cooler was spinning or you could hear the hd working! If this switch is not pressed properly, the notebook will not turn on, or it will turn on and sometimes not!
    Find on the motherboard a button similar to the a515-51g model:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Did you ever open it? It is possible that this button is not pressed properly and this happens mainly when opening the notebook and when putting the lower case again, the screws are not well pressed! It is not to apply excessive force on the bolts, but just make sure they are securely fixed in the lower case!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Mabaet

Tinkerer

Options
    Before attempting the recovery crisis, it is possible that the notebook is not turning on because of the power switch! I thought the cooler was spinning or you could hear the hd working! If this switch is not pressed properly, the notebook will not turn on, or it will turn on and sometimes not!
    Find on the motherboard a button similar to the a515-51g model:

I will do so in the morning/afternoon. Right now it is in the middle of the night with no necessary tools and sleepy. Thank you, will give you an update soon.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok my friend! Good dreams!  :)
    While here in Brazil it's still 03:00 pm!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• aksh0105
    aksh0105 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I am having the same problem with my Laptop
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    @aksh0105 you should start your own thread for your issue so that it won't get confused with this old thread. Include your full model number, what the symptoms are and what you have tried so far.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.