Boot Manager only shows Windows boot manager

rusiiiru
rusiiiru Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
i tried to install linux OS.when i get to boot manager no DVD drive detected and then i tried usb but bot showing usb drive i created usb drive in rufus fat32 DD Mode gpt and uefi

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi, 
    Is it detected in bios? you have created the usb correctly. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • rusiiiru

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    Hi, 
    Is it detected in bios? you have created the usb correctly. 
    yeah it detect on bios
  • rusiiiru

Tinkerer

@christy1 yeah it detect on bios
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Sometimes you have to actually enter the linux efi filename from the keyboard into the UEFI bootstrapper trusted section, not just select it. Depending on your distribution, try re-installing by following the steps below as closely as you can for this ubuntu dual boot installation. Jack E/NJ

UBUNTU MINT
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation. Shrink it a lot if you want
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus, a freeware download.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

Jack E/NJ

• Ravipandit
    Ravipandit Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Can any one tell me how to format Acer es14
  • JackE
    @Ravipandit (1) What operating system is on it now? (2) What operating system do you want to put on it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ravipandit

Tinkerer

It is on Windows 10 and I want to clean install Windows 10 again because I get a lot of bloatware and it's too slow now . And when I tried to format from bootable pendrive or DVD it didn't boot from that. I have done my best to format it but I didn't succeed. It is neither shoing legacy mode nor after changing boot priority to DVD or pendrive. And I mistakenly set bios password ech time I want to enter bios.it ask me for bios password which I don't know.please help me
  • JackE
    @Ravipandit I don't recommend installing generic Win10 because all the optimum ACER-specific drivers are already installed on your system. First, you should uninstall, not just disable, any 3rd party antivirus programs like McAfee or Nortons because they will really slow your system down. All you really need is Windows Defender. You can do this from Control Panel. Then you should make sure fast startup is enabled to significantly shorten the amount of time to boot Windows. We can also remove programs that aren't needed from startup in task manager to further speed things along. But for now let's just uninstall antivirus and enable fast start up to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• christy1
    It is on Windows 10 and I want to clean install Windows 10 again because I get a lot of bloatware and it's too slow now . And when I tried to format from bootable pendrive or DVD it didn't boot from that. I have done my best to format it but I didn't succeed. It is neither shoing legacy mode nor after changing boot priority to DVD or pendrive. And I mistakenly set bios password ech time I want to enter bios.it ask me for bios password which I don't know.please help me

If you have set a bios password you will have to take it the local tech to remove the bios password. The can remove the cmose battery and so we can reset the bios password. there are few 3rd party sites where you can reset the password but not sure if it can really help you. is the computer booting up right now? if so try the media creation tool. check the link below. hope it will be helpful. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
  • Ravipandit

Tinkerer

Yeah Christy 
    But I have done what you said but it didn't booted from us neither from DVD . To make it bootable what should be done tell me this please
  • Ravipandit

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    @Ravipandit I don't recommend installing generic Win10 because all the optimum ACER-specific drivers are already installed on your system. First, you should uninstall, not just disable, any 3rd party antivirus programs like McAfee or Nortons because they will really slow your system down. All you really need is Windows Defender. You can do this from Control Panel. Then you should make sure fast startup is enabled to significantly shorten the amount of time to boot Windows. We can also remove programs that aren't needed from startup in task manager to further speed things along. But for now let's just uninstall antivirus and enable fast start up to see what happens. Jack E/NJ
    I need to format it not to repair please tell me such way how can I make my system boot from pendrive or DVD because it is not booting even after setting priority.please help
  • JackE
    @Ravipandit ; Have you tried uninstalling antivirus programs like McAfee or Nortons yet?  Have you made sure fast startup is enable yet? Have you tried removing programs that aren't needed from startup in task manager?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ravipandit

Tinkerer

Yes but it didn't hrlp even after that it didn't boot
  • JackE
    @Ravipandit >>>It is on Windows 10 and I want to clean install Windows 10 again because I get a lot of bloatware and it's too slow now . And when I tried to format from bootable pendrive or DVD it didn't boot from that. I have done my best to format it but I didn't succeed. It is neither shoing legacy mode nor after changing boot priority to DVD or pendrive. And I mistakenly set bios password ech time I want to enter bios.it ask me for bios password which I don't know.please help me. My PC is Acer ES14 >>>

Slowness is unlikely to be due to ACER bloatware. I recommend that you first try to speed up your machine by re-setting your machine to factory defaults by following the video below. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• Ravipandit

Tinkerer

I have done this already it worked for fine for a week but again it started to hang.tell me othrr way...
  • JackE
    If it worked fine for a week with an ACER factory re-set, this is proof that it is NOT ACER bloatware that is causing the slowness issue. Thus the slowness is probably due to either (1) a Win10update (2) an application or program that you have installed  or (3) malware that is somehow infecting your machine AFTER the factory reset. Whatever the cause, you will have the same problem with a generic Win10 installation as with the ACER Win10 factory reset. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Ravipandit

Tinkerer

Tell me the way to format it so please help me
  • JackE
    I don't recommend it but you can download and fresh install a generic Win10 version by using Microsoft USB creation tool at this Microsoft site
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  You will be able to format the HDD with this installation USB

Once installed, you will probably have to download ACER drivers from this ACER site since many of the generic drivers probably won't work
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I also don't recommend that you let the generic Win10 installation overwrite your ACER Win10 recovery partition unless you back up the whole HDD. Because I think that your machine will behave similarly and maybe even worse with the generic Win10 version. Once the recovery partition is gone, it will be almost impossible to get another ACER Win10 version for your machine.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• christy1
    Yeah Christy 
    But I have done what you said but it didn't booted from us neither from DVD . To make it bootable what should be done tell me this please

Try to create a bootable USB drive and boot the device.
    For windows 10, You can download the iso file of your edition from microsoft and use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive and install the OS, Windows will install most of the drivers, if you need any drivers, you can download them from Acer support site.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Reloading Windows with the Media Creation Tool:

Press and hold the Power button for five seconds to turn off your computer. Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.

Power on the system and begin tapping the F2 Key to enter the BIOS. In the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main menu item at the top.

Use the down arrow to highlight F12 Boot Menu and press Enter. Highlight Enabled and press Enter.

Press the F10 key and press Enter to save the changes and exit. The system will reboot immediately.

As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.

Select the USB HDD and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch. Select your Language, Time and Keyboard, then click Next.

Click Install Now. Accept the license terms and click Next.

You will be prompted with choices and follow the onscreen instructions. Using recovery option will erase all personal data.

• Ravipandit

Tinkerer

I have done up to enable boot manager and when it reboot there is no option of USB HDD  there is only Windows boot manager.thats it what I amtryam tto say from very beginning I am stucked at here