Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53-52FA: Recently purchased, SLOW HDD, upgrading to Samsung EVO 970 m.2 SSD. HELP

Synoptix
Synoptix Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Whats up everyone,
I recently purchased the Acer Nitro 5 laptop for gaming & almost immediately I realized how long it would take the laptop to boot up/open simple programs like internet & tabs in the OS... It baffled me because the specs of the PC are awesome & I started doing research on what could be the problem. I deleted all bloatware they installed on it, went into settings and did as much as i could to improve performance, even reinstalled windows fresh, & it can still be really slow on pulling up tabs, and even can freeze. I started to get extremely frustrated as to why my BRAND NEW gaming laptop was running so poorly (Yet in games I would be running just fine, unless i tabbed out to pull up youtube/ect.)
I came to realize that with the newest hardware, the 7500 rpm HDD that came with it was more than likely the problem & I decided to purchase a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD & CANT WAIT to get it installed. 

I just wanted some 2nd opinions on what else might be wrong, and if upgrading to the top of the line SSD would be the best move, because I know for a fact that I am going to see results once I install it & clone my OS over to it from the stock HDD.

Been doing tons of research on this and scouring these forums for people with similar problems!
Thank you guys!

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    This model seems to support nvme! Check this out using aida64 to see if it gen3x2 or gen3x4!

Check in the task manager if the hd slowdown is occurring by the disk is at 100%!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Synoptix

Tinkerer

Thank you! And yes, I would have the Disk running at 100% when I first got it, and it seems to do it still on and off.
    After getting rid of bloatware & doing whatever I could to help make the HDD run more efficiently, it has gotten better, but it can still be really slow logging into windows, pulling up tabs, ect.  
  • Synoptix

Tinkerer

edited September 2018
    I also dont speak spanish, so english if you can please! :D
  • Actually, I speak Portuguese! lol
    Regardless of whether or not the disk is in trouble, an SSD will always be better than a HD! So in this you could do a windows 10 installation or simply clone the hd! Worth buying a ssd!
    Although windows is in Portuguese, I mark the photo where the problem may be!
    Do you know the name of the service that is using the disk at 100%?
    There is a video in Portuguese in which the presenter, shows in detail how to solve this problem! Actually the problem of the disk being at 100%, can occur for several reasons! The tips start from the sixth! What it basically asks you to do, is that with every tip completed, restart the notebook and check if the disk is still at 100%! I know it's going to be hard to understand, but it shows you step by step in every tip!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWESrvP_uU8
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Synoptix

Tinkerer

ahhhh, gotcha! my bad there my man!
    But thank you for the advice & link, really appreciate it. I will check that out once im off work for sure
  • Djcrisco
    Djcrisco Member Posts: 1 New User
    I purchased this last week on Black Friday. I hope to God the SSD fixed the slow issues you had. I cannot believe how slow this thing is and the HDD always is at 100% use and I'm not doing  *****. Please tell me the ssd fixed it. My SSD will be here tomorrow

ssdw
    Synoptix said:
    Whats up everyone,
    I recently purchased the Acer Nitro 5 laptop for gaming & almost immediately I realized how long it would take the laptop to boot up/open simple programs like internet & tabs in the OS... It baffled me because the specs of the PC are awesome & I started doing research on what could be the problem. I deleted all bloatware they installed on it, went into settings and did as much as i could to improve performance, even reinstalled windows fresh, & it can still be really slow on pulling up tabs, and even can freeze. I started to get extremely frustrated as to why my BRAND NEW gaming laptop was running so poorly (Yet in games I would be running just fine, unless i tabbed out to pull up youtube/ect.)
    I came to realize that with the newest hardware, the 7500 rpm HDD that came with it was more than likely the problem & I decided to purchase a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD & CANT WAIT to get it installed. 

I just wanted some 2nd opinions on what else might be wrong, and if upgrading to the top of the line SSD would be the best move, because I know for a fact that I am going to see results once I install it & clone my OS over to it from the stock HDD.

Been doing tons of research on this and scouring these forums for people with similar problems!
    Thank you guys!

• @Djcrisco The fact that hd is at 100% time does not indicate that the problem on the hardware! Other manufacturers like dell for example, also have the same problem! This is a problem in windows that can also happen in ssd's! However, I consider it an excellent option you upgrade the hd to a ssd because the read and write rate are many higher than hd!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mradhi
    mradhi Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

my laptop is also a nitro 5 with the  model number 
    AN515-53-52FA
     and part number NH.Q3ZAA.001, are you sure that it is support NVME? i am planning to upgrade and have asked acer in my country but they don't even know whether the laptop support nvme or just regular sata. in product detail i checked in acer web, only shows the following:
    Storage

Hard Drive Capacity 1 TB

Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA

Hard Drive RPM 7200

Optical Drive Type No

please help me on this, thank you very much.

regards
    M. Radhi
  • The model an515-53 supports nvme, see: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-53/86423

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mradhi

Tinkerer

thank you very much @egydiocoelho now i can confidently buy an Nvme m.2 ssd.
  • You're welcome! Click I liked it if I helped you!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mradhi

Tinkerer

some said that it is better to stick with regular m.2?what do you think?
  • Depending on the price, if the difference is minimal, I would buy the nvme! In addition, the benchmark site showed that several models identical to yours have been tested with ssd nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ricardowerneck
    ricardowerneck Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Egyidio,

I saw you have specs of the an515-53. Can you share AN515-52 specs? I mean, my interest is to know how feasible it is to upgrade with Samsung Evo 970 m2 ssd.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

This model seems to support nvme! Check this out using aida64 to see if it gen3x2 or gen3x4!

Check in the task manager if the hd slowdown is occurring by the disk is at 100%!

I am sorry for necroing this thread but where do you find pdf files on these? I have same laptop and I need to have access to all info but I can't find something like you showed on Acer's websites or in box that my laptop arrived in.
  • This is information in the service manual. We cannot publish for download.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Aegis
    Aegis Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

This is information in the service manual. We cannot publish for download.

That's odd. I didn't receive service manual.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited February 2020
    Aegis said:
    This is information in the service manual. We cannot publish for download.

That's odd. I didn't receive service manual.

My colleague @egydiocoelho is referring to the Service Guide/Manual for technicians, it is not available to users but the ACE team members can refer to it to help give answers and we can post screenshots from it

This is information in the service manual. We cannot publish for download

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★