Predator g9-951 can't read 1tb internal hard disk drive

Deathrow
Deathrow Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey guys I woke up this morning and tried accessing the 1tb hdd on my predator g9-951 but for some reason windows doesn't seem to find it. I have no idea what might have gone wrong. I have tried list disk in power shell as administrator but it only listed the ssd. Same thing when I go to disk manager only the ssd is being listed. However, I can see on Intel rapid storage technology that there is an approximately 1tb volume available but I just can see it amongst my drives listed or access it. It was working just fine the night before. I literally run all my programs and games from my hdd so it's a big deal to me. By the way I took out the hard drive and plugged it in my sister's laptop as a secondary drive and it worked just fine so the I can say that the hard drive isn't bad or faulty. During this period intel rapid storage technology didn't show any available storage volume other than the ssd unlike when it was plugged in. Any ideas or suggestions I really have no idea on what to do? Please help!!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,651 Pathfinder
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin 
    hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the u nit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS 
    page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

Try these steps also check in BIOS whether the HDD is detected(Even the HDD would have gone bad)
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi@Deathrow,

1st go to bios by pressing the f2 as soon as you see the acer logo. then go to the boot options and check if the HDD is getting detected on the bios.

Related image

if its not showing then try a bios default. with f9(default settings) ->yes.. F10(save settings) ->yes. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Deathrow

Tinkerer

Thank you very much guys for your prompt response!! Unfortunately I forgot to mention that I did reset the bios settings to default. However, I'm not sure whether or not the bios detects the hdd because the boot options remained unchange from when I took the hdd out and when it was in(photo1). What really amazes me is the fact that I can see the hdd volume on Intel Rapid storage technology but not just anywhere else(photo 2). 
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi@Deathrow,

is this a new drive which you insured or it came with the unit.

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Deathrow

Tinkerer

christy1 said:
    Hi@Deathrow,

is this a new drive which you insured or it came with the unit.

Yes it came with unit. Although, I bought used but not refurbished from someone within my city he had proof of purchase from Acer and it was barely 3months since he purchased it. Anyways I've been using it for almost 2yrs it's never gave any issues so I do t think he sold be a piece of *****.
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    in bios setup , under main, what is the SATA MODE value set to.?
    is it AHCI or RST with OPTANE.?

dont change the value, for now, because then you will not be able to boot into windows. (no boot detection error)

ur hdd is fine and working properly its just that ur m/c is not able to recognise it properly.

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Deathrow

Tinkerer

in bios setup , under main, what is the SATA MODE value set to.?
    is it AHCI or RST with OPTANE.?

dont change the value, for now, because then you will not be able to boot into windows. (no boot detection error)

ur hdd is fine and working properly its just that ur m/c is not able to recognise it properly.

My SATA Mode value is set to RAID Mode. I've got windows running from the ssd and there's been no boot error or what so ever. I'll try sticking a different hdd in it and see if it reads it.
  • Deathrow

Tinkerer

Ok so a little update!
    I now realize what my problem actually is. I might have unknowingly used my drive D(1tb hdd) to create a recovery via Intel Rapid Storage technology and didn't notice the effect until the next morning. So now IRST just removed my drive D and converted it into a recovery volume which m/c can't read. I really do not know the technical terms so this is as far as I can explain it. I just hope I've been able to shed more light on what my problem is exactly.
    I did some digging and there's already a thread in the acer community about it. So I'll just follow it and hopefully I get a solution that would actually work for me. However if there are some advice or a couple things you think that would help me, I'd be more than happy to know because right now, I need all the help I can get. Nonetheless, thank you so much for all your responses!!!
  • Deathrow said:
    Ok so a little update!
    I now realize what my problem actually is. I might have unknowingly used my drive D(1tb hdd) to create a recovery via Intel Rapid Storage technology and didn't notice the effect until the next morning. So now IRST just removed my drive D and converted it into a recovery volume which m/c can't read. I really do not know the technical terms so this is as far as I can explain it. I just hope I've been able to shed more light on what my problem is exactly.
    I did some digging and there's already a thread in the acer community about it. So I'll just follow it and hopefully I get a solution that would actually work for me. However if there are some advice or a couple things you think that would help me, I'd be more than happy to know because right now, I need all the help I can get. Nonetheless, thank you so much for all your responses!!!

Send a link to the other thread please so others searching can follow.
    I hope it works out!
    - Hotel Hero
  • Deathrow

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    Deathrow said:
    Ok so a little update!

Send a link to the other thread please so others searching can follow.
    I hope it works out!
    Oh yes you're right totally forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!!
    Here's a link to the thread I was referring too earlier

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/519160/g9-593-72dz-intel-rapid-storage-technology-removed-my-d-drive/p1