Switch 5 loses bluetooth device entirely after sleep. Bluetooth device totally disappears.

Options
nightowl00
nightowl00 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I got my bluetooth mouse running and was happy.  No more finding the dongle or losing it.  Except, the bluetooth mouse keeps disappearing after the laptop, Switch 5, wakes up.  The only way I know how to get it back is a complete reboot.  This is what I see after  one night of sleep,

1. Laptop's screen went black, so I presume it went to sleep.
2. I touch the keyboard to wake it up.  The backlite comes on and the keyboard & touchpad work.  BUT, the bluetooth mouse is not responding.
3. I tried to turn the bluetooth mouse on/off to no avail.
4. I check the 'Bluetooth & other devices' and it shows the bluetooth devices (including the bluetooth mouse) but it tells me the bluetooth is off ??  On the top there is suppose be an of/off for the bluetooth device, but I no longer see it.  So basically I can't even turn it on if I want to.

5. I check the Device Manager and bluetooth is not there.  I click on 'Show hidden devices', bluetooth shows up but everything under it is grayed out.

6. I tried a number of things, rescan hard ware change.  Toggle airplane mode.  Click on the blue FN F3 (Wifi) buttons.  Nothing works. Scan for hareware change. It seem the entire bluetooth device just disappeared ??!!  This has happened a number of times already (and I only have this laptop for couple days).  It's very frustrating if the bluetooth device is dropping off each time the computer goes to sleep.

7.  This time when I reboot the machine the bluetooth device still would not come on.  Previously I just needed to reboot the laptop.  I go to Acer driver page and remove and reinstall the bluetooth driver and nothing works. Then I notice there is an USB device under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' that has a yellow triangle warning exclamation mark on it.  I right-click an remove it, rescan for hardware change, and then bluetooth device comes back on.

Please someone in Acer respond to this.  I hope I don't have to go through these steps each time the bluetooth device disappers.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin 
    hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the u nit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS 
    page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • nightowl00

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks, but what is a 'power drain'?  What does it do?  Why does it cause this problem?  It seem to me messing with BIOS is a big deal so I want to make sure I understand what is going on first.  And how's doing what you suggest of 'power drain' will help?
  • Lanner_Falcon
    Lanner_Falcon Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi @nightowl00

I m not sure but this might help. Issues as these could occur when Bluetooth support services are not working properly. Try the following steps.

Step 1: Use shortcut Win key+ R to open the Run.

Step 2: Type into services.msc.

Step 3: Double-click the Bluetooth Support service on the pop-up Services dialog.

Step 4: Click the General tab

Step 5: Click the Start button.

Step 6: Select Automatic from the Startup type list.

Step 7: Click the Log On tab.

Step 8: check Local System account.

Step 9: Click the OK.

Step 10: Restart the PC.

Also, try checking your power management settings

1. Type in "Power options" in the Windows 10 search bar.
    2. Click on the Power Options control panel under the Best Match results.
    3. Choose the balanced option.
    Please do inform us, if the issue pertains post trying these steps.

P.S: if you are facing other issues too, I would suggest a clean recovery installation after taking back up of your data. Start with a clean state.
  • nightowl00

Tinkerer

Options
    So I have confirmed that it's got nothing to do with the computer going to sleep.  I totally turn off the laptop going to sleep.  The computer is plugged in all the time during this test (nothing to do with battery).  I rebooted the computer and have nothing running (other than the usual background Windows processes). I've made sure all devices do not go to sleep (i.e. Power Management - Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power).  Bluetooth runs fine after initial reboot.  But, the bluetooth device still mysteriously disappears after few hours.  This time I caught it in action.  I have a bluetooth speaker connected and after few hours of not touching the computer I heard this 'do' sound from the bluetooth speaker.  That is the sound when it loses bluetooth connection.  Went and check the laptop and sure enough the bluetooth device has stopped work (see pic).  I click on each of yellow exclamation device and double check that the driver is up-to-date and it says it is.  I tried to uninstall the Intel Wireless Bluetooth device so I can do a hardware scan, but it just takes forever to uninstall it.  I eventually just reboot the machine.  Once rebooted, bluetooth starts to working.

By now I can confirm it has nothing to do with the power management.  It could be the driver or the hardware, I'm not sure.  Looks like I will have to stick to a USB mouse because reset to manufacturer state is not an option.  I have already loaded and configured too many software.

• frayah
    frayah Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have this problem too. The bluetooth toggle just disappeared. I have tried many things but am in my 70s and am a bit limited in my computer understanding. I use the bluetooth direct to my hearing aids so it is very important to me. Help in ways I can understand!