USB booting on acer windows tablet

Options
JJismyname
JJismyname Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives
The device in question is the acer Iconia w1-810 with BIOS v 1.10.
I have tried multiple times to boot the device using USB, as I have important files and have forgotten my administrator password!
The USB can be seen and read by the device when setting UEFI boot file, yet not as a bootable device. I have followed multiple tutorials, none of them seem to work.
Please help.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,749 Pathfinder
    Options
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin 
    hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the u nit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS 
    page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart

Or Try to Reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and place it after an hour and check
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The password you are referring to is the bios password?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JJismyname
    Options
    The password you are referring to is the bios password?
    No, the windows password I am trying to boot a Linux OS from USB in order to retrieve my data
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    First check if placing the pin (if you have put a pin in the installation) in place of the password, windows enters the user account!
    If it does not work, try this: When you turn on the notebook, press f2 and turn on the d2drecovery function; press f10 to save on exit and immediately press alt + f10 to enter the recovery partition; look for the command prompt option and enter notepad! That done plug the pendrive and copy all files! Then you should have an option to restore windows by keeping files or deleting the drive!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JJismyname
    Options
    First check if placing the pin (if you have put a pin in the installation) in place of the password, windows enters the user account!
    If it does not work, try this: When you turn on the notebook, press f2 and turn on the d2drecovery function; press f10 to save on exit and immediately press alt + f10 to enter the recovery partition; look for the command prompt option and enter notepad! That done plug the pendrive and copy all files! Then you should have an option to restore windows by keeping files or deleting the drive!

This was one of my attempts! seems to be successful until it prompts for a password to reset the pc/access the command prompt!
    However, I shall check again on your behalf as this does sound slightly different.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2018
    Options
    For sure it will ask for the windows access password:
    1) try this: when turning on the notebook and appearing you should see the "forgot my password" options and the sign-in options option to enter the pin or password! If you know the pin, type it! If you do not know the password or the PIN, click I forgot my password and change the password!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JJismyname
    Options
    For sure it will ask for the windows access password:
    1) try this: when turning on the notebook and appearing you should see the "forgot my password" options and the option to enter with the pin or password! If you know the pin, enter it, if you click forgot my password!
    If you do not know the password or pin, click I forgot my password and change the password!

this only works in the circumstances where one has there own password reset usb drive, I, however do not have that.
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It is not necessary to have a usb drive! I just ran into my without using a usb drive!
    You must click on I forgot my password and the computer will restart!
     You should see a screen like this:

Can you tap a picture of your user account?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JJismyname
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It is not necessary to have a usb drive! I just ran into my without using a usb drive!
    You must click on I forgot my password and the computer will restart!
     You should see a screen like this:

Can you tap a picture of your user account?
    I am sorry, I did not explain my situation clearly enough.
    The account is the LOCAL NOT MICROSOFT ACCOUNT.
    Thank you for your efforts, they are much appreciated.
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Then you should do the following: program the pendrive with windows 10 according to this manual created by me; then inside the windows 10 installation press shift + f10 and type notepad; plug the pendrive and save your files!
    Then you will have to exit the installation and remove the pendrive and do this: when you turn on the notebook and the user account appears, click the button on the restart button with the shift key pressed; in boot options menu, select Troubleshoot; Reset this PC> Remove everything: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028457/windows-10-reset-your-local-account-password

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    You need to have a 32bit UEFI signed boot image to boot from USB by default on the W1. If I were guessing I'd say the Linux distro you are trying to boot from has a 64bit image instead. Try booting from a Windows 32bit install image instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It is true! I had not remembered that! Then the manual will not work:
    You should do the following: convert the pendrive to mbr in cmd as administrator: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x (x is the number of pendrive), clean, convert mbr, create partition primary, format fs = fat32 quick, assign e active!
    Then download the only x86 iso from the microsoft site and copy and paste it to the pendrive: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    Go to the bios and in the boot section place the pendrive first; then press shift + f10 and type notepad and then copy your files to another pendrive!
    Follow these steps: when you turn on the notebook and the user account appears, click the button on the restart button with the shift key pressed; in boot options menu, select Troubleshoot; Reset this PC> Remove everything: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028457/windows-10-reset-your-local-account-password

egydiocoelho Trailblazer