Swift 1- SF114-32: won't detect m.2 SSD

Options
13»

Answers

• PlanetMercury
    PlanetMercury Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    What is the exact model of your laptop? Example SF114-32-C4PZ.
    I did put that info in my above comment.

My laptop model is SF114-32-P2N7, part number NX.GXUSA.007

Pre-installed NVMe module is 
    Kingston RBU-SNS8154P3-128GJ-1

Is there somewhere that information about the individual SKUs can be looked up?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    If the drive in yours is NVMe right now, then you can replace it with a larger NVMe drive. :) The service guide is still reflecting the older SKUs that had SATA3 for the 128GB drives. They'll get it updated for us eventually I hope.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PlanetMercury
    Options
    billsey said:
    If the drive in yours is NVMe right now, then you can replace it with a larger NVMe drive. :)
    Thank you billsey. The existing SSD has two keyings (B+M) but the slot appears to have only one (M) indicating a x4 drive should work. Would that be a fair assumption? x2 drives seem hard to find.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The service manual states this:

However, to make sure this information is correct, download hwinfo64:
    Novo Acer A515-51G-C690 suporta SSD M2 NVMe  Acer Community
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • PlanetMercury
    Options
    In case anyone's interested, the stats for this PCI Express port:

PCI Express                                                                     
    Version:                                                                        2.0
    Maximum Link Width:                                                             4x
    Current Link Width:                                                             2x
    Maximum Link Speed:                                                             5.0 GT/s
    Current Link Speed:                                                             5.0 GT/s
    Device/Port Type:                                                               Root Port of PCI Express Root Complex

And for the NVMe device pre-installed:

PCI Express                                                                     
    Version:                                                                        3.0
    Maximum Link Width:                                                             2x
    Current Link Width:                                                             2x
    Maximum Link Speed:                                                             8.0 GT/s
    Current Link Speed:                                                             5.0 GT/s
    Device/Port Type:                                                               PCI Express Endpoint

Looks like the port can do 4x, but only PCIe revision 2.0.  The drive supports revision 3.0 and 2x, and is gracefully degrading to 2.0 and 2x.

I've ordered an NVMe drive that can do PCIe 3.0 at 4x (Kingston A2000), and from what I've been able to research about PCIe, devices tend to gracefully fall back to whatever is mutually supported between port and device.

My main concern is not speed anyhow on this little thing but compatibility - just want something that'll work.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It would be easier if you sent a screenshot.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • PlanetMercury
    Options
    Hello,

Just confirming I successfully installed a larger NVMe drive into my laptop (SF114-32-P2N7).  Drive is a Kingston A2000 500GB, so a fairly budget NVMe but PCIe 4x.

Can I just say, I'm astonished at how fast a modern SSD is for installing an OS - or installing any software.  I got this cheap little laptop as a secondary to my more powerful desktop, and I underestimated how much faster the new SSD would feel to the slightly older SSD on the faster desktop.  I have the upgrade urge there now!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    congratulations on your success.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer