Acer Predator Helios 300 GPU clocks dropping...

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Red-Sand said:
    Might I ask what overclocking software your using? I know the 1060 mobile chip doesn't hit 1800-1900 clock speeds out of box.
    This is true... for stock 1709. The 1803 update of windows killed this - my GPU is pretty much always on turbo mode pushing to 19xx when needed.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    Just got this laptop and already having issues. I noticed my fps would randomly plummet on games and noticed it was because my GPU clock drops from 1800-1900 mhz to around 100mhz.. Wondering if i should return it and get a new one?
    Few things...
    1. Reduce FPS to what your screen supports - if its max is 60 Hz, limit fps to 60 and turn on vsync.
    2. Try using an external usb fan and increasing your laptop height to about an inch from the surface it is placed on.
    3. Turn off visual elements in game that push processor without making noticeable difference visually.
    These should help reduce temps significantly and reduce GPU temps rising up.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Diabolic89
    Diabolic89 Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    sri369 said:
    Just got this laptop and already having issues. I noticed my fps would randomly plummet on games and noticed it was because my GPU clock drops from 1800-1900 mhz to around 100mhz.. Wondering if i should return it and get a new one?
    Few things...
    1. Reduce FPS to what your screen supports - if its max is 60 Hz, limit fps to 60 and turn on vsync.
    2. Try using an external usb fan and increasing your laptop height to about an inch from the surface it is placed on.
    3. Turn off visual elements in game that push processor without making noticeable difference visually.
    It’s not a temp issue. 
  • Diabolic89
    It just happened 2 times within 5 minutes. So frustrating. I'm about to just get a refund. 
  • Diabolic89
    sri369 said:
    Few things...
    Got any other ideas? I love this laptop and would rather not have to send it back again..
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    When you reinnstall the Nvidia driver are you selecting "perform clean install" from custom installation? Could be a conflict of an old setting lingering. 

Also have you tried setting graphics to their absolute minimum to test? (You mentioned high gpu usage results in drops)

Made sure it's not a network issue?
    I see a lot of complaints about the servers on Blizzard currently. If a network lag were to happen the GPU would also downclock since its not being information to load.

Is WOW the only game with the issue?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Diabolic89
    Red-Sand said:
    When you reinnstall the Nvidia driver are you selecting "perform clean install" from custom installation? Could be a conflict of an old setting lingering. 

Also have you tried setting graphics to their absolute minimum to test? (You mentioned high gpu usage results in drops)

I see a lot of complaints about the servers on Blizzard currently. If a network lag were to happen the GPU would also downclock since its not being information to load.

I always do clean install. I’ve tried different graphics settings and many different games. I’m 100% sure it’s not network related. 
  • Red-Sand said:

I always do clean install. I’ve tried different graphics settings and many different games. I’m 100% sure it’s not network related. 

Very strange bro..

Try installing Intel chipset, Intel AHCI and Turbo Boost drivers from Acer's website.
    I know Windows 10 auto updated all of them.

Realtek too if you got time although that only really effects undervolting if your having an issue there. (Windows updated realtek messes up sleep state)
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:

Very strange bro..

Try installing Intel chipset, Intel AHCI and Turbo Boost drivers from Acer's website.
    I know Windows 10 auto updated all of them.

Realtek too if you got time although that only really effects undervolting if your having an issue there. (Windows updated realtek messes up sleep state)
    Coming to Realtek... this indeed caused me minor issues - solved by installing Tuneup Utilities and disabling the program (not uninstalling for that would render sound card unusable and also remove dolby effects).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Ult1m0
    Ult1m0 Member Posts: 6 New User
    I have the same problem man.... Also dont know what to do
  • Diabolic89
    Ult1m0 said:
    I have the same problem man.... Also dont know what to do
    Ive never had a issue like this before. I feel like it HAS to be software related since its happened on 2 different laptops for me. But i've tried ***** everything man.
  • How often does it happen?

Whats the time span between lags?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ult1m0
    I will try to download and reinstall all drivers directly from acer but if it doesnt help then i dont know what i will do
  • Ult1m0
    The time span is random.... Sometimes every 5 minutes sometimes every 10..
  • Ult1m0
    I dont know if im right but i think that overvoltaging a gpu could solve it... But i need to find the safest option or if somebody knows it it please help me 
  • I made a GPU undervolt/overclock video.

The lesser voltage used causes clock speeds to be maintained much higher and don't dip.

https://youtu.be/nYW7ROFx2Kk
    - Hotel Hero
  • Diabolic89
    Ult1m0 said:
    I dont know if im right but i think that overvoltaging a gpu could solve it... But i need to find the safest option or if somebody knows it it please help me 
    I was thinking the same thing. But I wasn’t sure how to do it
  • Diabolic89
    Ult1m0 said:
    It’s so strange. I can literally go all day and it won’t happen. Then next day it happens a lot.
  • sri369
    Ult1m0 said:
    It’s so strange. I can literally go all day and it won’t happen. Then next day it happens a lot.
    Did you try disabling fast startup option under windows power settings?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Diabolic89
    sri369 said:
    Ult1m0 said:
    Did you try disabling fast startup option under windows power settings?
    Nope. I’ll give that a shot