Predator Helios 300 PH315-51

Eusebius
Eusebius Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello. I had in past problems with my laptop. i7 8750h 1060 max q. I had fps drop problems. I thought its thermal thorttling and after 2-3 runs in service still happend. So i figured out, when it happend, my laptop stops from being charging when plugged in. What am i supposted to do? 

Answers

• Eusebius

Tinkerer

Not max q im sorry. It's 1060 full.
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I had the same problem with my Helios 300. I7-8750H CPU and 1060 6GB. I managed to get incredible results on temperatures by undervolting the CPU. My system is stable at -135mV on core, cache and -0.605 on Intel GPU. On that undervolt settings my CPU maintains 3.8 Ghz on 45W, which means no power throttling.

1st of all try undervolting ( there is great tutotials in youtube and in this forum also. You can use this link. 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw/videos

Go through  

"Acer Predator Helios 300 - Windows Optimization Guide" then 

Acer Predator Helios 300 - ThrottleStop Remix - Undervolt Guide - Overheating Fix / Optimization

Hotel Hero did a great job making this guides. 

2. Second thing you might want to do is lifting the notebook from the table by inch or two. Best way is to get a cooling pad beneath it.
    3. Third thing that helped me is optimising the games via Nvidia Experience. I did it game by game, because for some of the games it reduces the graphics too much. For them you can do it manually in the game.

Doing this 3 things reduced the temps from 95-99 top on the CPU to average 75, spikes to 85 ( ON ULTRA SETTINGS )

P.S. If you are willing to sacrefice a little bit of performance you can reduce the Turboboost a little. I set mine to 3.4 Ghz instead of 3.9 and it reduces the temperatures further and flattens the temperature diagram. Before that the fluctuations was up to 25 degrees, now +/- 5.

Good luck 
  • Eusebius

Tinkerer

I already undervolt it with -125 and i have cooling pad with 4 ventilators. I guess its problems with tha ac adapter
  • Eusebius

Tinkerer

So when i gaming and it gets hot, the time when the frame drops came my laptop is not getting charging. This is the problem.
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I think that is normal. When your notebook is under full load the power supplies by the adapter is not sufficient and it uses both the adapter and the battery for a little time. Then when the demand decreases it starts charging again.
    I dont thing there is a problem with the power adapter.
    What are the temepratures after the undervolting? What program do you use for undervolting? XTU or Throttlestop? Share some more information about your FIVR and temperatures.
    Mine (same configuration as yours) is maintaining around 75 deg on both the CPU and GPU (rare spikes up to 85 on the CPU) with -0.140 mV on core and cache and cooling pad. That is when gaming on ultra settings. On high settings temperatures drop even further. No power throttling, no thermal throttling.

• Eusebius

Tinkerer

WHen i get the laptop from service, the temperature on CPU was 79 deg and the ac disconnected and it changed on battery when gaming. I use throttlestop and i get around max 85 cpu -125 cache and core with cooling pad. Fortnite with 3 settings on epic and others on low. The cpu usage on game is around 30