Nitro 5 - AN515-52 Heat Issue

trungggg
trungggg Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've recently purchased the Nitro 5 - AN515-52
It comes with an i5 8300H CPU, 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1050 Ti. OS is Window 10 64bit
I have CoolBoost turned on, and a cooling pad running to keep the airflow going
I've noticed that under heavy load at around 70-80% and above the CPU get extremely hot. Peaked at 99 degrees Celcius ( 210.2 degrees Fahrenheit ) and the average is about 80 - 90 degree Celsius
I just wanna ask if this is abnormal and if any other user have a Nitro 5 can share their CPU temperature under heavy load 
Thanks

Best Answer

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @trungggg@potatoBoy@Le0ndarKumabear
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Jack22
    The heat is abnormal on your computer, so I would say Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. The thermal paste is easy to apply and it will fix your overheating issue. 
  • PotatoBoy
    PotatoBoy Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have same type laptop with you and exactly same issue. I've repaste mine with thermal grizzly kyronaut and get temp 5 c lower. Then I use 5 fan cooling pad with 5 cm lift bottom, give some air circulation, just help 5 c lower. Last, I used throttlestop and undervolt cpu core by 0,1850 cpu cache by 0,170 gpu by 0,120. By those all, I get 73 c cpu and 65 c gpu when play pes 2018. while play ffxv, 80 c gpu and 70 c gpu. My place tropichal tipical with room temp is 30-35 c. Last time I play in AC room, the temp goes to 67 c cpu and 60 c gpu. Hope this help you
  • Kumabear
    Kumabear Member Posts: 1 New User
    PotatoBoy said:
    I have same type laptop with you and exactly same issue. I've repaste mine with thermal grizzly kyronaut and get temp 5 c lower. Then I use 5 fan cooling pad with 5 cm lift bottom, give some air circulation, just help 5 c lower. Last, I used throttlestop and undervolt cpu core by 0,1850 cpu cache by 0,170 gpu by 0,120. By those all, I get 73 c cpu and 65 c gpu when play pes 2018. while play ffxv, 80 c gpu and 70 c gpu. My place tropichal tipical with room temp is 30-35 c. Last time I play in AC room, the temp goes to 67 c cpu and 60 c gpu. Hope this help you
    That safe? Or cpu lifespan? 
  • PotatoBoy
    no problem until today
  • PotatoBoy
    after playing pes 2018 high render setting. At first time I buy, it was 83 c lol
  • Le0ndar
    Le0ndar Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    PotatoBoy said:

How do you do a 5cm lift?
  • Jack22
    Answer ✓
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

• Le0ndar
    Le0ndar Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    Jack22 said:

How do you overcome excessive temperatures?
  • Speedster_ELuu39
    Speedster_ELuu39 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I have the AN515-53 that has the i5-8300h with the GTX 1050. I've been getting temps of 180-215 degree Fahrenheit even during normal use. I placed it in the freezer (set at 32 degrees F) for 10 minutes last week and I'm now getting 100-140 degrees on normal use. I would also note that my Nitro 5 would suddenly spike in temps and the fans would kick in at max speed before I put it in the freezer. Now I'm getting consistent temps.
  • ARA3601
    ARA3601 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Does that temperature effected your laptop's life. Is it working fine except the temperature spike?? Cuz I'm planning to buy same laptop @trungggg
  • trungggg

Tinkerer

@Ẩ3601 I’ve been using it for a year now. All good, I’ve never experienced any problem with the Nitro 5 ever since i bought it. (Apart from the very high cpu temp under load)
    i’d say that you should go for it, get the 2019 edition that comes with GTX1660 
  • ARA3601
    ARA3601 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    Did you underVolt your cpu or used used thermal paste to lower the temperature? @trungggg btw thanks for the response! Also needed to ask what's your spec
  • trungggg

Tinkerer

@ARA3601 No, I made no attempt to fix the issue. Because to be honest it didn't trouble me much, apart from the fan getting quite loud sometime.  I will change the thermal paste when the warranty is due next month. Didn't do it before because it will void my warranty.
    After a year of using Nitro 5, I think it's really worth the money
  • OsuraDeSilva
    OsuraDeSilva Member Posts: 4 New User
     I bought this Acer Nitro 5 around October last year. And i havent played serious games on it or anything. Since recently even when i dont play games or anything my laptop randomly heats up. Even when CPU usage is at 8% the heat goes up to 98c degrees. My GPU usage is 0% but heats up to 40-50c degrees and even when i am running literally nothing my GPU usage goes to 90%. I maxed out the fan speed and activated coolboost and after about 15 mins things cooled down to normal. Why is this happening and what can I do about this? I have a 2 fan cooling box underneath my laptop as well for extra cooling but this is getting in the way of my work. I can't take my laptop out without it heating up to 90 degrees. Please give me a solution. 
  • trungggg

Tinkerer

edited August 2019
     I bought this Acer Nitro 5 around October last year. And i havent played serious games on it or anything. Since recently even when i dont play games or anything my laptop randomly heats up. Even when CPU usage is at 8% the heat goes up to 98c degrees. My GPU usage is 0% but heats up to 40-50c degrees and even when i am running literally nothing my GPU usage goes to 90%. I maxed out the fan speed and activated coolboost and after about 15 mins things cooled down to normal. Why is this happening and what can I do about this? I have a 2 fan cooling box underneath my laptop as well for extra cooling but this is getting in the way of my work. I can't take my laptop out without it heating up to 90 degrees. Please give me a solution. 

I'd definitely recommend changing the thermal paste, It'd solve your problem. I believe that Acer used a sh*tty thermal paste that deteriorate quite quickly.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder

Please start a new Topic for your question, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• OsuraDeSilva
    trungggg said:
    I'd definitely recommend changing the thermal paste, It'd solve your problem. I believe that Acer used a sh*tty thermal paste that deteriorate quite quickly.
    Thanks for the information.I'll try to fix it fast.
  • OsuraDeSilva
    edited August 2019

Even now its heating up like crazy. And the only things i'm doing is reading about how to fix this on opera and texting on Discord. This is insane. I feel really sad i spent my money on this laptop. I would've used some more and went for a Asus Tuf if i knew this was this bad. I already had a previous issue where the laptop was so slow it became annoying and i had to switch it off a few times by long pressing the power button. And then there was another issue where the intel optane memory would not work. I had high expectations for this laptop but its only disappointing me a lot. i will never buy a Acer laptop ever again. 
  • OsuraDeSilva
    andylb said:

Please start a new Topic for your question, thankyou
    My apologies. I'll make a new topic.