ACER G9-791-752g wont boot up only black screen

picnic101
picnic101 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey guys!
I have just been away on holiday and recently got back to start my laptop up.

The predator logo appears fans run etc then it goes straight to a black screen. Have tried turning off and on reseting, connecting it via a hdmi to another display to no avail.

I did however an overheating issue about 6 months ago due to a fan dieing and since then have had random screen glitches/cracks. I am wondering if my graphics card has given up? Or is something to withthe cpu? 

Any advice would be great on what to do next.

Thanks 

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,737 Pathfinder
    Try doing power drain and BIOS default  and see, atleast the blackscreen issue might get fixed.
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin 
    hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the u nit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS 
    page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi@picnic101,
    >> Try to perform a simple power reset and check the issue.  Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Disconnect the external display. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop.
    >> Try to do a bios default. Turn on the unit after the above process->as soon as you see the acer logo keep tapping f2 and you will see a Bios screen. press f9 for a default settings->hit yes,press f10 for saving the setting and hit yes.(use enter for confirming) 

Image result for bios screen
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • picnic101
    christy1 said:
    Hi@picnic101,
    >> Try to perform a simple power reset and check the issue.  Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Disconnect the external display. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop.
    >> Try to do a bios default. Turn on the unit after the above process->as soon as you see the acer logo keep tapping f2 and you will see a Bios screen. press f9 for a default settings->hit yes,press f10 for saving the setting and hit yes.(use enter for confirming) 

Image result for bios screen
    Thanks for the reply christy and jack

I tried both of your solutions and it still is giving me a black screen. Fans and the light for the disc are still running but nothing else is showing.

Is there anyway to determine the root of the problem or am I going to have to take it to a shop 

Thanks 

Picnic
  • picnic101
    Hi there,
    Scratch that.

The computer is now booting after i retried the pin hole technique. Yet it keeps crashing taking me to this screen.

I have tried system restore, reset pc- says it can not do this, safe mode - still crashes, startup repair. All of them come up with these two errors when the screen stays on long enough.

Irql not equal to or less 
    Kernal security check failure 

I have googled solutions and found saying its my video card?
    How can i be sure it is this ?

Thanks once again 

• christy1
    Hi@picnic101,

Try to do a factory reset.

1. Navigate to Settings. ...
    2. Select "Update & security"
    3. Click Recovery in the left pane. ...
    4. Click Get started under Reset this PC.
    5. Click  "Remove everything.
    Remember you will loose everything on the unit when you do this. your computer will be back to factory settings.
    Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10

• picnic101
    christy1 said:i
    Hi@picnic101,

Remember you will loose everything on the unit when you do this. your computer will be back to factory settings.
    Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10Image result for factory reset in win 10

Thanks once again christy for the reply.

Before i start this is there anyway of backing up my hardrive ? Just would like my photos :(

Picnic
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    picnic101 said:
    christy1 said:i
    Hi@picnic101,

Thanks once again christy for the reply.

Before i start this is there anyway of backing up my hardrive ? Just would like my photos :(

Picnic
    You can purchase a sata/m.2 to usb (whichever you need for your drive)and plug it into another computer to retrieve your photos.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    And when you manage to get windows up, go to power settings and disable the "fast startup" options. Most windows 10 problems stem from this setting.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • picnic101
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your input, definetley appreciate it.

So I have disconnected my D drive(2tb) and tried to do a fresh install of windows to hopefully fix the problem.

Using a CD i go through the options then it scans for drivers. It says im missing a media driver and asks if I want to continue. I Click yes and unfortunatley it says i cannot continue without the driver.

Any suggestions? 
  • picnic101
    I have reconnected the d drive but it still came up with the same error. When i try reset the pc it says drive partition is missing. Does this mean my C Drive is broken ? 
  • picnic101
    Try searching for the c drive but it says it is not ready
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    i think the drive(ssd maybe) where the windows is installed is needed to be replaced (maybe its dead)
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    picnic101 said:
    I have reconnected the d drive but it still came up with the same error. When i try reset the pc it says drive partition is missing. Does this mean my C Drive is broken ? 
    Try connecting the drive via USB using a cable to a different laptop (there are many convertors on Amazon for less than $10). This should help isolate drive working or not issue.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • christy1
    picnic101 said:

Hi@picnic101,
    The hard drive is dead i guess. We can do a GW scan on it to check if the hard drive is working or not. since you have taken the backup you can take it to the local tech.