Bios update for Acer Aspire G7710 Predator

Options
josurf
josurf Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
My desktop has lots of freeze up moments lately, and according to Microsoft Windows helpdesk this is due to the old version of my BIOS, which would need an upgrade. 
I have also seen that my model of desktop is not on the list of the updated models of Acer desktops for compatibility with Win 10 version 1803.

Is there any chance of this coming out soon ? 

Answers

• Spelunker
    Spelunker Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    Options
    josurf

To update your BIOS go to the following link:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Once there, enter the SNID or Serial Number or Model of your system and click 'Find'.
    On the new page that opens, click on '
    BIOS/Firmware' and it will expand to show the available BIOS update.

Now, regarding the 
    Win 10 version 1803 update, generally speaking all existing Windows 10 devices running Windows 10 Home, Pro and S can get version 1803 update for free. But the reality is a bit more complex than that. I would recommend that you check out the following links which explain the issue clearly and provide possible resolution.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55107/~/windows-10-update-for-april-2018-(version-1803)

The above link explains about updating to 1803 in detail and provides you links to help you update your system.

But before you update, I would recommend that your check out the article at the following link. It explains about errors you might run into while updating and provides explanation and solution.

https://in.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55336/~/windows-april-2018-update-(1803)-is-unable-to-install-on-devices-with-intel-or

Hope my post helped you.
    Click 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Please click 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Please click 'Yes' if the comment answers your question
  • josurf

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for your quick reply, however : I have the Win 10 1803 version. But it seems my outdated bios is conflicting with it, hence my freezing computer. 
    I've seen the page where the bios upgrades are available. But unfortunately the "latest" bios upgrade is dating back from july 2009. My bios version is dated april 2009. So I'm not sure this will make much difference as both are largely before Win 10 was released. But I can try.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, pay more attention to the BIOS version than to the release date. Also give the latest Windows 10 Readiness tool a try and see if it flags anything. The update can install even when some issues are there, but the tool should give warnings at least.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • josurf

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Yes, pay more attention to the BIOS version than to the release date. Also give the latest Windows 10 Readiness tool a try and see if it flags anything. The update can install even when some issues are there, but the tool should give warnings at least.
    Where can I find that tool ? 
  • billsey
    Options
    Microsoft has the Windows 10 Readiness tool as a download. Google it and you should get the latest link. They release a new version for each incremental Windows upgrade, so the last one was in April.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • josurf

Tinkerer

Options
    I'll rephrase : I KNOW my BIOS is outdated... my question is : does anyone know where to find an update for this BIOS.
    Because on Acer site I can't find any (if already there is a chance of a BIOS update existing for this "old" computer)
  • billsey
    Options
    What version of the BIOS do you have, the latest is R01-A4. There is a good chance that whoever was manning the helpdesk for your call just spits out 'needs a BIOS upgrade' for anything he doesn't have a canned answer for. What error do you get when you try the upgrade? What does the logfile say about the failure?
  • josurf

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    What version of the BIOS do you have, the latest is R01-A4. There is a good chance that whoever was manning the helpdesk for your call just spits out 'needs a BIOS upgrade' for anything he doesn't have a canned answer for. What error do you get when you try the upgrade? What does the logfile say about the failure?
    Sorry, not been able to make this thing (my pc) work, it is holding for now : I suppose the reasons or stopcodes I get with my blue screen ?
    There's a bunch of them, but mostly I get "kernel security check failure" "system thread exception not handled" "page fault in non page area" "IRQL not less or equal" "kmode exception not handled"...etc. I have been having a little trouble with my main HD, but that is solved now (transfered the OS to a new HD). Right now my pc is working, but in a minute or so it can just switch off again giving me a blue screen once more with one of the aforementioned reasons. So it is not stable. 
  • billsey
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Doesn't sound as much a BIOS error as memory corruption problems. Try reseating the memory and cleaning accumulated dust. Remove power cord and then hold the power button in for a minute or so before vacuuming or pulling the memory to make sure all power is bled away.