Random freezing/system hangs/game issues

smartinez281
smartinez281 Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I recently purchased the Nitro 5 (Nitro AN515-53) and so far have enjoyed it but every once in a while the system just hangs. Especially at bootup even after like 3 minutes when everything fully boots up. For example, my desktop loads up and I right-click to let's say create a new folder on my desktop, and the loading icon just keeps spinning. I can still use the system with no problem but the right click on the desktop takes ages to finally show the menu to perform actions. Also, I notice that while I play a game trough Steam in High settings (Killer Instinct for example) while connected to the charger, the game works perfect. When I disconnect and run trough the battery, the game just slows down to a crawl. The SAME game using SAME settings gives me problems when running on battery power. Now that may be a Steam issue and not the actual computer. Very  inconsistent. 

Best Answer

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi smartinez281

I recommend trying below steps as a work around: 

Step 1:

• Go to Control panel - Power options
    • Now click on the "Change plan settings" next to the selected power plan.
    • Click on "Change advanced power settings".
    • Now, expand the "Graphics settings". 
    • Make sure the "Maximum performance" is selected on both battery & plugged in options.
    • Apply the settings, restart your notebook and then check the performance.
    • I would also recommend you to check the other settings under the advanced power options settings if the issue still persists.

Step 2:

Try going into NVIDIA CP > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Power Management > Prefer Max Performance. Then Apply, and then try running your game on battery.

Moreover, please visit the below blog to get idea about the root cause and solution.

https://www.howtogeek.com/206022/why-are-games-slower-on-battery-power-even-with-a-high-performance-power-plan-selected/ 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi smartinez281

I recommend trying below steps as a work around: 

Step 1:

• Go to Control panel - Power options
    • Now click on the "Change plan settings" next to the selected power plan.
    • Click on "Change advanced power settings".
    • Now, expand the "Graphics settings". 
    • Make sure the "Maximum performance" is selected on both battery & plugged in options.
    • Apply the settings, restart your notebook and then check the performance.
    • I would also recommend you to check the other settings under the advanced power options settings if the issue still persists.

Step 2:

Try going into NVIDIA CP > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Power Management > Prefer Max Performance. Then Apply, and then try running your game on battery.

Moreover, please visit the below blog to get idea about the root cause and solution.

https://www.howtogeek.com/206022/why-are-games-slower-on-battery-power-even-with-a-high-performance-power-plan-selected/ 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• smartinez281
    smartinez281 Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter
    UPDATE : I tried those steps and the games still stutter and and run poorly. When I plug the laptop back in to the charger, everything back to buttery smooth.
    I wonder what I may be doing wrong.