Weird fan sounds, High temperatures when idle.

LJustin
LJustin Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Just yesterday i started to notice that my fan was sounded different then usual. By just staring at the dekstop my cpu reached 58C-70C (the fans were set to auto. It had never reached such temperatures before while just staying idle or browsing the internet. 
If anybody knows whats the problem please let me know.

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    It could be a great many things..
    Most commonly it is dust buildup causing an imbalance of the fans and inefficiency of the fans CFM causing temperature issues.

Id suggest having the fans cleaned/services by Acer and see if it fixes.

If you want to do it yourself you can simply purchase a compressed air can (for keyboard cleaning etc) and while the laptop is unplugged and turned off aim the can into the fan and use SMALL bursts of air to remove any buildup.

Note: Holding the trigger down too long on compressed air can cause moisture/ice to form and can damage your system. Its important to test outside of your laptop to visually see how long it takes for the ice to form.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    @LJustin

Most importantly, check to see if windows 10 is doing any updates. Windows 10 is notorious for pushing in updates when you least expect them - be it when idle or even in heavy work. And this could be pushing for far from idle temps and CPU activity. Also check for any virus scanners running, these generally kick in when system goes idle.

Edit: Even if your fans are not blowing as needed, when idle, unless your room temperature is hot/warm, laptop shouldn't be that hot. On idle/low use, my temps of CPU are in 40-50 and GPU in 38-45, and fans in 1500-2000.

But yes, follow @Red-Sand post to clean up any possible dust. Also, it would be a good practice to clean the fan once every 2000 or so hours of use, depending on how dusty the room can get.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045