Options
2»

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @Zeroel @Dinomite07
    Increase the laptop height to about an inch by adding felt pads under the four legs, and get a USB fan, instead of setting the fans to max. This helps... really!
    I have mine upped by an inch, and have fans on auto with cool boost on. Temps stay in 70s in heavy games.
    Also, I have my FPS capped to 60 since that's the max my monitor and screen support.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Zeroel said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Skree said:
    I personally use 64 as speedshift indicator. 

Strange thing is... if i remember correctly red-sand said that 64 is equal to standard OS settings, but it was not in my case. My pc always ran at full turbo boost speed with speedshift disabled and all left to CPU.

Now if i have very low CPU usage frequencies go low to about 1.1ghz to 1.6ghz... but when gaming i get full power.

I would guess that perhaps acer personalized the cpu behaviour in the bios itself for these machines?
    It most likely ran full speed from setting Windows Power settings to minimum processor speed at 100%.

According to Unclewebb (Throttlestop's developer) 80 Speed Shift EPP = Standard Windows governance.

I don't believe Acer sets Speed Shift as that is a manual control and SpeedStep is actually the default governance from Intel
    I just did everything in your guide except my offset value is 100 'cause that's the highest my laptop will tolerate xD
    Do I have to open throttlestop every time I turn on the computer? Also, can I not set the fans to max?

Follow this guide to create a task schedule (Auto start on bootup)

PLEASE keep in mind to disable the Task Schedule you create BEFORE testing with new undervolts... because if you set undervolt too low then a boot loop could occur.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    Zeroel said:
    I just tried it out in game today... -100.6 on the core offset value and everything else as placed in the guide... this time, I had no fan facing my laptop... these temps are cooled by the laptop fans alone. although I opted to max out the fans instead of leaving it on auto like the guide video showed. Other than the temps though, I noticed that the cpu usage looks a lot less jumpy. thank you all for your support and answers :D 
    Now I'm thinking about maybe possibly overclocking my gpu but that's another topic :)
    thank you guys! 

I also created a "Undervolt/Overclock" guide that you may find useful ;)
    Lowers temps of both CPU & GPU while improving performance to above a desktop of the same specs.

I created 3 profiles:
    1st profile is my "Max Q" which uses 800mV max at 1721mhz speed - Outperforming the Max Q variants of the 1050ti/1060 - while using about 200mV less then the Max Q GPUs use (1025mV)

2nd profile is stock performance but with an undervolt applied for lower temps at no loss of performance

3rd profile is the undervolt/overclock (To 1885mhz on 1060) profile, which most people end up choosing.
    It lowers temps of CPU by -10 C and GPU by -10 C all while increasing performance and making clock speeds much more consistent over long play sessions for smooth game play.

The Helios is quite the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYW7ROFx2Kk
    - Hotel Hero
  • Zeroel
    Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    Zeroel said:
    I just tried it out in game today... -100.6 on the core offset value and everything else as placed in the guide... this time, I had no fan facing my laptop... these temps are cooled by the laptop fans alone. although I opted to max out the fans instead of leaving it on auto like the guide video showed. Other than the temps though, I noticed that the cpu usage looks a lot less jumpy. thank you all for your support and answers :D 
    Now I'm thinking about maybe possibly overclocking my gpu but that's another topic :)
    thank you guys! 

I also created a "Undervolt/Overclock" guide that you may find useful ;)
    Lowers temps of both CPU & GPU while improving performance to above a desktop of the same specs.

I created 3 profiles:
    1st profile is my "Max Q" which uses 800mV max at 1721mhz speed - Outperforming the Max Q variants of the 1050ti/1060 - while using about 200mV less then the Max Q GPUs use (1025mV)

2nd profile is stock performance but with an undervolt applied for lower temps at no loss of performance

3rd profile is the undervolt/overclock (To 1885mhz on 1060) profile, which most people end up choosing.
    It lowers temps of CPU by -10 C and GPU by -10 C all while increasing performance and making clock speeds much more consistent over long play sessions for smooth game play.

The Helios is quite the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYW7ROFx2Kk
    You're everyone's hero, man ^_^
    Thanks I'll be following this after my review later today xD
  • Zeroel
    Options
    sri369 said:
    @Zeroel @Dinomite07
    Increase the laptop height to about an inch by adding felt pads under the four legs, and get a USB fan, instead of setting the fans to max. This helps... really!
    I have mine upped by an inch, and have fans on auto with cool boost on. Temps stay in 70s in heavy games.
    Also, I have my FPS capped to 60 since that's the max my monitor and screen support.
    This is how I set mine up... hue hue hue hue ^O^ and yeah I gotta clean this monitor... been a while since I last used it...

• Dinomite07
    Dinomite07 Member Posts: 45 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Zeroel said:
    sri369 said:
    @Zeroel @Dinomite07
    This is how I set mine up... hue hue hue hue ^O^ and yeah I gotta clean this monitor... been a while since I last used it...

I got a halftop setup. Acer should make their own throttlestop and msi afterburner software for their gaming laptops. Have them be combined and separated into a cpu and gpu tabs as a built-in software like predator sense. My cooling dropped 10 Celsius. :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Zeroel said:
    Mine is lifted by about 2 inches with a usb fan towards its underside, and another onto the area above the Fn keys - i use these only when needed though. I did get a cooling pad, but it is mostly used for lifting the height of laptop base from table level.
    But what's also needed to be considered is the room temperature. I live in the US and my room temperature monitor shows about 75-77.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Dinomite07
    Dinomite07 Member Posts: 45 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    If you have to do all that, you might as well should get a desktop. xD
  • sri369
    Options
    I do not need to turn on the fans unless i am playing heavy games for extended periods of time :-). Plus I am pretty much on external monitor while I am at home - 22" is better than 15".
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel
    Options
    Can't exactly put a desktop in a backpack and travel with it every weekend bud...
  • Zeroel
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:
    Mine is lifted by about 2 inches with a usb fan towards its underside, and another onto the area above the Fn keys - i use these only when needed though. I did get a cooling pad, but it is mostly used for lifting the height of laptop base from table level.
    But what's also needed to be considered is the room temperature. I live in the US and my room temperature monitor shows about 75-77.

BTW,sir, I just noticed that your keyboard is also predator. would you mind sharing what model it is? I can't seem to find a single predator keyboard in my country's online market...
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    That is this one:

Its called: 
    Acer PKB810 Predator Aethon 500

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Options
    Zeroel said:
    BTW,sir, I just noticed that your keyboard is also predator. would you mind sharing what model it is? I can't seem to find a single predator keyboard in my country's online market...
    Acer Predator Aetheon 500, released in early August time frame. So might take a little while for it to be released in your market.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • OliverM3
    OliverM3 Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

It's funny that the service center said the paste was fine. The factory paste is never fine and you can always improve the temps with a quality repaste of kryonaut, gelid extreme or even MX4. Also if he checked by removing the heatsinks well then he really should have repasted. BDO is a hog that's the game made me just upgrade my laptop when remastered was released :)

I'm using MX4 and running -130 mv on my 7700HQ this is my typical bdo remastered gaming session with auto fans and max factory overclock on the gpu. before the undervolt and repaste I was well in to the 90's on the cpu while gaming.

There's only one way I can hit the 90's now and that's with an overclocked gpu running both prime95 and heaven at the same time.

• Zeroel
    Options
    OliverM3 said:

It's funny that the service center said the paste was fine. The factory paste is never fine and you can always improve the temps with a quality repaste of kryonaut, gelid extreme or even MX4. Also if he checked by removing the heatsinks well then he really should have repasted. BDO is a hog that's the game made me just upgrade my laptop when remastered was released :)

I'm using MX4 and running -130 mv on my 7700HQ this is my typical bdo remastered gaming session with auto fans and max factory overclock on the gpu. before the undervolt and repaste I was well in to the 90's on the cpu while gaming.

There's only one way I can hit the 90's now and that's with an overclocked gpu running both prime95 and heaven at the same time.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW that predator sense looks so nice!
    Yeah the remastered really likes eating up resources... 
    Though some people said it runs fine at 60fps on a gpu lower than the 1060 in mine... so I'm thinking of putting in a second ram stick in hopes of fixing my fps drops :3
  • Zeroel
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:
    Acer Predator Aetheon 500, released in early August time frame. So might take a little while for it to be released in your market.
    I see so t is a new product... it looks very nice @_@
    It's things like these that make my lazy ***** wanna work in the morning... big dreams require hustle!
  • OliverM3
    OliverM3 Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited October 2018
    Options

Zeroel said:
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW that predator sense looks so nice!
    Yeah the remastered really likes eating up resources... 
    Though some people said it runs fine at 60fps on a gpu lower than the 1060 in mine... so I'm thinking of putting in a second ram stick in hopes of fixing my fps drops :3

Yeah I do like the blue theme the Pred 700 has too. It ran ok on my MSI with a 1060 16 gig model but It hung in the 30-60 range with remastered. other than that setting ya the game ran perfect. I'm getting 80 fps now with my 1080 max-q in town and remastered on.