Is this temperature supposed to scare me? ^_^

Zeroel
Zeroel Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
This is my Laptop's temperature when I play Black Desert online. I went to the service center to have this cleaned up and I asked if maybe the thermal compound needed re-pasting and if the temps were fine. Had it cleaned, he said the thermal compound was fine, and that these temps were okay..?
I closed the game by the time I took this picture but you guys get the idea... it stays on the high 90s, peaking at 99... GPU maxed out at 75... 

P.S. I play with a mini fan pointing straight at my laptop because cooling pads have pathetic fan speeds. I also make sure the vent area is lifted from the table and that the fan I use doesn't blow against the exhaust. I tried undervolting once using XTU but it help by a max of like 4 degrees...

Best Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Zeroel said:
    This is my Laptop's temperature when I play Black Desert online. I went to the service center to have this cleaned up and I asked if maybe the thermal compound needed re-pasting and if the temps were fine. Had it cleaned, he said the thermal compound was fine, and that these temps were okay..?
    I closed the game by the time I took this picture but you guys get the idea... it stays on the high 90s, peaking at 99... GPU maxed out at 75... 

P.S. I play with a mini fan pointing straight at my laptop because cooling pads have pathetic fan speeds. I also make sure the vent area is lifted from the table and that the fan I use doesn't blow against the exhaust. I tried undervolting once using XTU but it help by a max of like 4 degrees...
    XTU has a terrible habit of removing undervolt randomly and Ive found it very inefficient.

Remove XTU by setting voltage offsets back to zero then uninstalling... and then follow this guide

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Zeroel said:
    I just tried it out in game today... -100.6 on the core offset value and everything else as placed in the guide... this time, I had no fan facing my laptop... these temps are cooled by the laptop fans alone. although I opted to max out the fans instead of leaving it on auto like the guide video showed. Other than the temps though, I noticed that the cpu usage looks a lot less jumpy. thank you all for your support and answers :D 
    Now I'm thinking about maybe possibly overclocking my gpu but that's another topic :)
    thank you guys! 

I also created a "Undervolt/Overclock" guide that you may find useful ;)
    Lowers temps of both CPU & GPU while improving performance to above a desktop of the same specs.

I created 3 profiles:
    1st profile is my "Max Q" which uses 800mV max at 1721mhz speed - Outperforming the Max Q variants of the 1050ti/1060 - while using about 200mV less then the Max Q GPUs use (1025mV)

2nd profile is stock performance but with an undervolt applied for lower temps at no loss of performance

3rd profile is the undervolt/overclock (To 1885mhz on 1060) profile, which most people end up choosing.
    It lowers temps of CPU by -10 C and GPU by -10 C all while increasing performance and making clock speeds much more consistent over long play sessions for smooth game play.

The Helios is quite the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYW7ROFx2Kk
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Laptop model?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    sri369 said:
    Laptop model?
    Given the lack of overclocking on Predator Sense it is the G3-571
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    Zeroel said:

XTU has a terrible habit of removing undervolt randomly and Ive found it very inefficient.

Remove XTU by setting voltage offsets back to zero then uninstalling... and then follow this guide

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    sri369 said:
    Laptop model?
    Given the lack of overclocking on Predator Sense it is the G3-571
    Overclocking... windows 1803 update anyways killed it even on Acer version of windows.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Zeroel
    sri369 said:
    Laptop model?
    Sorry I forgot to add it... but the guy who replied to you is correct...
  • Zeroel
    Red-Sand said:
    Zeroel said:

I used this guide before too... my pc kept shutting down though so I used xtu, which my buddy recommended... but yeah, I've been hearing stuff like throttle stop is more effective... I'll give it another try one of these days when I get to a place with good net xD
  • sri369
    Zeroel said:
    I used this guide before too... my pc kept shutting down though so I used xtu, which my buddy recommended... but yeah, I've been hearing stuff like throttle stop is more effective... I'll give it another try one of these days when I get to a place with good net xD
    It shuts down when you undervolt it excessive. I would suggest starting at -50, and slowly upping in intervals of 10. Also... one thing to keep in mind is that CPU and CPU cache need to be at the same levels of undervolt.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel
    sri369 said:
    Zeroel said:
    It shuts down when you undervolt it excessive. I would suggest starting at -50, and slowly upping in intervals of 10. Also... one thing to keep in mind is that CPU and CPU cache need to be at the same levels of undervolt.
    Alright I'm gonna give it another go... thank you :) 
  • sri369
    @Zeroel

You can try using my ini file in your throttlestop folder and see if that helps. Stop the app, back up your ini, place mine, and start the app. And test it out. If it fails, simply remove my ini.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Interesting that the laptop didn't like the undervolt!
    I've found -0.110 to be quite safe for the i7-7700HQ and its normal that some chips can undervolt farther than others.

Keep in that if you had XTU prior to Throttlestop that could be where the confliction occurs as removing XTU properly is quite a lengthy process and installing one without completely removing the other sometimes causes hiccups.

Does the laptop shut down during gaming?
    It could be that some games such as PUBG require a higher CPU usage to run properly in which case means Speed Shift EPP should be adjusted as well.

For my PUBG I have to use 110 Speed Shift EPP.

- Hotel Hero
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I personally use 64 as speedshift indicator. 

Strange thing is... if i remember correctly red-sand said that 64 is equal to standard OS settings, but it was not in my case. My pc always ran at full turbo boost speed with speedshift disabled and all left to CPU.

Now if i have very low CPU usage frequencies go low to about 1.1ghz to 1.6ghz... but when gaming i get full power.

I would guess that perhaps acer personalized the cpu behaviour in the bios itself for these machines?
  • Red-Sand
    Skree said:

Strange thing is... if i remember correctly red-sand said that 64 is equal to standard OS settings, but it was not in my case. My pc always ran at full turbo boost speed with speedshift disabled and all left to CPU.

Now if i have very low CPU usage frequencies go low to about 1.1ghz to 1.6ghz... but when gaming i get full power.

I would guess that perhaps acer personalized the cpu behaviour in the bios itself for these machines?
    It most likely ran full speed from setting Windows Power settings to minimum processor speed at 100%.

According to Unclewebb (Throttlestop's developer) 80 Speed Shift EPP = Standard Windows governance.

I don't believe Acer sets Speed Shift as that is a manual control and SpeedStep is actually the default governance from Intel
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Skree said:

True... 64 is OS recommended. Mine is at 128 - optimized to lazy upshift of freqencies. And personally I do not see any noticeable performance drag either. By the way, my undervolting is now at -141 for cpu core and cache. Seems to be holding up fine so far. Will report after playing some games this evening. Temps are now ranging from 38-42 for CPU from 40-45 earlier for light loads.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel
    Red-Sand said:
    Interesting that the laptop didn't like the undervolt!
    I've found -0.110 to be quite safe for the i7-7700HQ and its normal that some chips can undervolt farther than others.

Keep in that if you had XTU prior to Throttlestop that could be where the confliction occurs as removing XTU properly is quite a lengthy process and installing one without completely removing the other sometimes causes hiccups.

Does the laptop shut down during gaming?
    It could be that some games such as PUBG require a higher CPU usage to run properly in which case means Speed Shift EPP should be adjusted as well.

For my PUBG I have to use 110 Speed Shift EPP.

I play Black desert and I'm not exactly sure about epp... if I do use throttle stop, would it work if I only change the voltage offset?
  • sri369
    Zeroel said:

I play Black desert and I'm not exactly sure about epp... if I do use throttle stop, would it work if I only change the voltage offset?
    Yes!
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel
    edited September 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    Skree said:

It most likely ran full speed from setting Windows Power settings to minimum processor speed at 100%.

According to Unclewebb (Throttlestop's developer) 80 Speed Shift EPP = Standard Windows governance.

I don't believe Acer sets Speed Shift as that is a manual control and SpeedStep is actually the default governance from Intel
    I just did everything in your guide except my offset value is 100 'cause that's the highest my laptop will tolerate xD
    Do I have to open throttlestop every time I turn on the computer? Also, can I not set the fans to max?

• sri369
    Zeroel said:
    I just did everything in your guide except my offset value is 100 'cause that's the highest my laptop will tolerate xD
    Do I have to open throttlestop every time I turn on the computer?
    Yes! Unfortunately this isn't a service. Keep a shortcut on desktop or schedule as a task. For me, running it on desktop seemed feasible 'cos when run as a task it didn't show the temperatures in tray.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Zeroel
    I just tried it out in game today... -100.6 on the core offset value and everything else as placed in the guide... this time, I had no fan facing my laptop... these temps are cooled by the laptop fans alone. although I opted to max out the fans instead of leaving it on auto like the guide video showed. Other than the temps though, I noticed that the cpu usage looks a lot less jumpy. thank you all for your support and answers :D 
    Now I'm thinking about maybe possibly overclocking my gpu but that's another topic :)
    thank you guys! 
  • Dinomite07
    Dinomite07 Member Posts: 45 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    When you don't disable turbo on ThrottleStop. :#
  • Zeroel
    When you don't disable turbo on ThrottleStop. :#
    Youch O_O
    isn't that a bad thing?