Aspire A515-51G-52GK ram upgrade

Xereon
Xereon Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Greetings, sorry if I may ask a question that maybe already answered, but for days i've searched everywhere and nobody seems to know exactly about it.

So here is the point: i've this model of Aspire with Nvidia 940mx and 8gb ddr4 adata already installed in the only slot avaiable (or at least i think it's the only one, that is part of the problem); on the official Acer Data Sheet it is mentioned that the platform can support up to 20 gb ram, and that is usually the case when 4gb ram are already pre-installed on the motherboard itself (making all sort of combinations like 4+4, 4+8 and 4+16), but on my laptop there is no trace of this 4 gb ram (they are not mentioned and if i remove the 8gb slot installed the computer won't boot at all). Another thing: CPUZ mention a second empty ram slot.

Is this platform really limited to ONE single ram slot that can only work in single channel mode forever or i'm missing something? If this is the case, then why mention the 20gb max supported ram and not simply 16gb (like the max that can be put in a single slot)?

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    This model comes with 4GB on-board memory and a slot for additional memory, you are saying that when you remove  the 8GB module the laptop doesn't boot at all and CPU-z reports an empty slot. I have a A515-51 and reports empty for slot2 but I have 4GB on-board memory, try checking the Memory tab in CPU-z because it will show the total memory in your laptop.

• Xereon

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    Hi @Xereon

There are many submodel in the same series that differ as per the region, if you model does not have an onboard memory then the total memory supported by this model would be 16 GB.
    The one avalible DDR4-type socket supports 2G/ 4G/ 8G/ 16G modules with  DIMM Speed of DDR4 1866/ 213, DIMM voltage of 1.2V and SODIMM 260 Pin DIMM package.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    It could be the case, but how do i know? Of what kind of code or serial number i've to search to remove any doubt?
  • Xereon

Tinkerer

@brummyfan2

those are my cpuz screenshots

• brummyfan2
    Hi @Xereon
    As @Sharanji said you don't seem to have the on-board memory, however, go to Task manager, move to Performance tab, then click Memory in the left pane and check the slots used.

• Xereon

Tinkerer

Hi @Xereon
    As @Sharanji said you don't seem to have the on-board memory, however, go to Task manager, move to Performance tab, then click Memory in the left pane and check the slots used.

This is my task manager screen, it's in italian language but it should be comprensible 

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Xereon
    I think you need to contact Acer Support centre in Italy, they may know the reason why the on-board memory is missing while clearly task manager shows as 2 slots available.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/it/IT/content/service-contact
  • Xereon

Tinkerer

Thank you @brummyfan2 and @Sharanji i will contact Acer support

• djsroma
    djsroma Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2020
    Xereon said:
    Thank you @brummyfan2 and @Sharanji i will contact Acer support

ORIGINAL
    Ciao, mi trovo anche io nella tua situazione, hai più approfondito la questione?
    TRANSLATED

Hi, I am also in your situation, have you studied the matter in greater depth?

Edited the content by translating from Italian to English

Acer-Samuel

• stanhaus
    stanhaus Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Same problem here, I contacted the support and I was told that the onboard memory was in trouble, lie, this model of motherboard does not come with 4GB onboard, which causes the proganda to be wrong, not being expandable up to 20GB.