SF314-54-552V - RAM and SSD serviceable or not?

Options
frugalfrugal
frugalfrugal Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
This unit is on sale currently at Canadian Best Buy. Just wondering whether this Intel Optane Memory unit has user-serviceable RAM, it says 8GB DDR4 but doesn't say whether it's 4GB soldered, or whether the whole thing is soldered. Is the Intel Optane soldered on, or can I remove it and install a second M.2 SSD in there? Also is the 1TB HDD swappable with a SATA 3 SSD?

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,119 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Acer specification states that it has 8GB RAM, upgradable up to 12GB, so this model comes with 4GB on-board memory and a replaceable 4GB module, you have to replace the 4GB with a 8GB module to make up the total of 12GB.
    This model has a M.2 slot which is compatible with Optane memory, M.2 NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD, Optane is not soldered and it occupies the M.2 slot, you can replace it with a M.2 SSD.
    You can also replace the spinner HDD with a SATA III 2.5" SSD.
    No, you can not use USB-C port for charging the laptop. Yes, you can replace the WiFi card.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.H1SAA.002

Answers

• frugalfrugal

Tinkerer

Options
    Also, is the laptop chargeable through USB-C port??
  • frugalfrugal

Tinkerer

Options
    Also is the wifi module replaceable?
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Acer specification states that it has 8GB RAM, upgradable up to 12GB, so this model comes with 4GB on-board memory and a replaceable 4GB module, you have to replace the 4GB with a 8GB module to make up the total of 12GB.
    This model has a M.2 slot which is compatible with Optane memory, M.2 NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD, Optane is not soldered and it occupies the M.2 slot, you can replace it with a M.2 SSD.
    No, you can not use USB-C port for charging the laptop. Yes, you can replace the WiFi card.

• frugalfrugal

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for answering all my questions! Bummer that it can't charge through that usb c port
  • DrCornetto
    DrCornetto Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi, is there a photo of the internal of this specific model? Is it difficultto change the 5400rpm hdd with a 2.5"ssd? I bought an sf314-54 with 128ssd+1tb hdd and i want to replace the hdd with a 240gb ssd.
  • frugalfrugal

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, is there a photo of the internal of this specific model? Is it difficultto change the 5400rpm hdd with a 2.5"ssd? I bought an sf314-54 with 128ssd+1tb hdd and i want to replace the hdd with a 240gb ssd.
    Hey I actually ended up returning the laptop. I highly advise against trying to upgrade the HDD for my model number unless you are adept at taking apart all of the internals, because during my installation I first had a really tough time removing the power/data connection and second I unseated whatever was attached on the other end, UNDER the battery while installing my SSD. I needed outside help to repair the issue. More information I learned was that the M.2 slot in this model is not compatible with SATA III M.2 SSD's, only NVMe. Plus you void the return policy if you open the bottom of the laptop, if you bought it from a store, and also the manufacturer's warranty (if they say it's okay, I advise you to get it in writing/email). The takeaway lesson here is that there is a reason why cheap laptops are priced cheaply, getting an XPS or Macbook will save you headache and trouble down the road. Up to you if you still want to though, here is a video that looked exactly like the internals I saw in my unit (did not think to take a picture unfortunately). You see a good picture right after 2:36:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3NJ1rfD_xA
  • DrCornetto
    DrCornetto Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Acer already said to me in an nemail that changing the hdd would not avoid warranty. My models is a bit different from yours:it's the i7 with mx150, 128ssd + 1tb hdd so should be not that difficult to swap the hdd with an ssd. Thanks for the impression thoug, maybe someone has some gooa advice.
  • frugalfrugal

Tinkerer

Options
    Acer already said to me in an nemail that changing the hdd would not avoid warranty. My models is a bit different from yours:it's the i7 with mx150, 128ssd + 1tb hdd so should be not that difficult to swap the hdd with an ssd. Thanks for the impression thoug, maybe someone has some gooa advice.
    Yes but damaging the internals most certainly will. I have a feeling they would use the same components for the HDD drive. Best of luck to you, if it works could you please report your results in this forum with your complete model number so people can have wider perspective, thanks.
  • Rik04
    Rik04 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi just a doubt,
    I know I can put SATA III 2.5" SSD or M.2 SSD but what would be the capacity? I researched a bit a found that they were asking to put not more than 512 gb ssd in the 1 tb slot but did not say why..Can i put 1 tb ssd in place of 1 tb hdd of same dimensions or there may be problems ?

Hi,

• brummyfan2
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Rik04 said:
    Hi just a doubt,
    I know I can put SATA III 2.5" SSD or M.2 SSD but what would be the capacity? I researched a bit a found that they were asking to put not more than 512 gb ssd in the 1 tb slot but did not say why..Can i put 1 tb ssd in place of 1 tb hdd of same dimensions or there may be problems ?

Hi,

Hi,
    You can replace a 1TB HDD with another 1TB  2.5" HDD/SSD.

• CaloRen
    CaloRen Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi,

Hi, I'm just wondering where from the link you provided it states that the RAM is upgradable to 12gb? I couldn't find it. I'm planning on getting this exact model and I will be using it for Android development and I'm afraid 8gb ram is not enough. Thanks!